Is Having Multiple Parity Sets Possible?

Justin_

Hi I was wondering if there is a way to add a second set of parity drives, so I can have one set of 8X4TB drives and a separate set of 5X2TB drives?

Thanks

No - this is not a feature of unRAID.

Is there a good reason why you want 2 sets rather than one or two drives protecting all data drives?

If I understand correctly all the drives in one party must be the same size, and you cannot add more drives, I can't put all of the 2tb drives in at once

Don't know where you got that idea. One of the main features of unRAID is allowing you to mix different size drives. Each drive is an independent filesystem. The only requirement is that parity be at least as large as the largest data drive.

Can you add more drives after adding data?

Yes. You must preclear any drives to be added to a new slot, or unRAID will take your array offline while it clears it. Any drives added to a new slot in a parity protected array must be clear (all zeros) so parity will remain valid.

Can you add more drives after adding data?

No Problem (license limits and free SATA slots permitting).

Only thing to think about is that if you want to start adding drives bigger than the current parity drive you must first upgrade the parity drive to a larger size.

Archived