Slow parity sync...why?

So I am building an UnRaid server for a friend using some pretty ancient tech, but hey its free to him. I have the following SATA card installed with all but one of the drives connected to it and the parity rebuild is going at 12MB/s

Here is the card:05:09.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 09)

The board is an old EVGA triple SLI board with a Core 2 Duo on it and 4GB of RAM. I realize these are SATA II speeds, and the drives are a mix of old WD 2TB Greens, 1.5TB greens, some old 750GB and 500GB drives.

Moved the parity drive to the onboard SATA port, seems to be going at around 19MB/s now which is marginally better, hopefully it will speed up. Just checked and its dropped to 18.8MB/s  sigh.........

Move as many of the drives to the onboard as possible.  PCI-X while better than PCI still has some limiting factors.  And your 500GB drive is going to be holding things back as well

Here is the card:05:09.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 09)

That looks like a PCI-X AOC-SAT2-MV8, but you're using it on a PCI slot, if you can get a cheap board with a PCI-X slot that controller actually as a decent performance, capable 100MB/s+ with 8 disks.

Moved the parity drive to the onboard SATA port, seems to be going at around 19MB/s now which is marginally better, hopefully it will speed up. Just checked and its dropped to 18.8MB/s  sigh.........

You're mixing two problems here:  (1)  Since the card is plugged in to a PCI slot, it's limited to 133MB/s ... which you're sharing among about 6 drives (i.e. a max of 22MB/drive -- so if you're getting 19MB you're actually doing well);  and (2) some older drives with fairly low areal density (although I suspect the bandwidth restrictions of the card are still the limiting factor).

Use all of the onboard ports before using the card, to reduce the # of drives on that card, and you'll likely improve the performance notably -- but it's still not going to be "good" with that card in a PCI slot.

As I assume you know, the slowest drive currently "involved" in a parity check limits the speed -- so even ONE low-density drive will keep the speed slow until that check no longer involves that drive [i.e. if it's a 750GB drive, then once the check passes the 750GB point that drive no longer has any bearing on the speed]