New MB Asus Rampage IV BE

There's not enough info on the screen to help.  It's working on initializing USB devices, then a drive attached to ata12 reports serious trouble, in a faulty way, and we have no clues which drive this is.  It would be tempting to think it might be the USB flash drive or another USB drive, but USB drives don't use ata channels.  SATA devices do.  It's also a little odd to have reached ata12, yet still be setting up USB devices, they usually are handled first (but not always).  The errors with the drive itself appear to be spurious, as the SATA error flag returned 0xffffffff, which is like saying there's every possible SATA error happening, including some that aren't even assigned yet!  All we really know is that it's timing out, and not responding to an Identity request, so basically unresponsive.  That should not stop a boot process.

Can you scroll back at all (with Shift-PgUp)?

Something is fundamentally wrong, so I'd check the basics.  You said in your 'Subject' - "New MB", have you checked that this new MB can boot at all, with anything bootable?  Can it run the Memtest?

Got everything working "dockers, VM".

One problem I was having I see 3 USB 3.0 controllers in the bios of the MB. If I leave the first one on it take forever and hangs on boot for one part of boot then finish. Trying to get into the gui it doesn't load.  So I just turn off the one onboard controller and everything boots fine.

The other thing is I don't know if UNRAID is seeing the optical drive. UNRAID had a problem booting when it was on sata 3 but boots fine when on sata 2

It depends on what "SATA 3" means.

Is it one of the 4 red ports?

Based on the Asus website, your mobo has 4 SATA 3.0 ports (the red ports), 2 on the chipset and 2 on the ASMedia controller.

Potentially it might be the ASMedia controller that has gone and/or not supporting optical drives.

Your mobo USB 3.0 ports are all on ASMedia controller too so I'm thinkining maybe the ASMedia controller has indeed gone a little wonkie.

ah, so SATA 3 = SATA 3.0.

I thought you use SATA 3 as in the 4th SATA port (they are usually numbered from 0).

4 of the 6 SATA 3.0 ports on the Black Edition are on the ASMedia controller.

So it's highly likely due to the ASMedia controller.

Potential issues - any combination of these 3 could apply:

[*]Controller not working

[*]Controller not supported by unRAID

[*]Controller not supporting optical drives

Given Asus specifically mentioned this re ASMedia controller "These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.", it's probably number (3).

Optical drives don't need SATA 3.0 anyway so I don't think you lose anything by plugging it to the SATA 2.0 ports. In fact, both your optical drives should be on SATA 2.0, leaving the faster 3.0 ports for storage devices.

Okay. I have the optical drive plug into a sata 2 right now.  Just need to know if UNRAID sees it?  I didn't see it any where making the vm.

I have the first USB 3.0 controller on the MB turned off and the other two on.  The USB 3.0 header works and a few ports on the back.  I wish I had a Capture card to show the boot log when that one controller is turned on. 

unRAID should see it - which usually isn't the problem.

The difficulty is in getting the VM to see it.

There are 2 methods:

[*]Pass through the whole controller to the VM for exclusive use - probably not possible for a on-board controller connected to the chipset but you can try

[*]Pass through the scsi bus - try the instruction I posted here.

As for the USB 3.0 bus, what is plugged into that bus? If there's nothing important then it probably saves you time to just disable it if it's causing you problems. Issue can be with the device that is plugged on the bus, or the bus / controller etc. Hard to tell.