Server running on ups failed to restart after power outage

wgstarks

Recently had a situation where my local power company had to do some repairs on my line. I've got a standby generator so normally in a power outage my server only runs on the ups for about 15 seconds before the generator comes online. It seems though that the power company has a policy to disconnect the generator for safety reasons before performing some repairs. This of course resulted in an extended power outage and server shutdown (as configured in APCUPSD settings).

My problem is that the server did not restart after power was restored to the ups. I'm guessing that I am missing a setting somewhere. Don't see anything in the ups settings that appears to be related to this function at all. Activated the "Help" menu but I don't see any mention of this there either.

This isn't something that occurs often. Just an unfortunate chain of events. I'd still like to correct the issue if possible.

Recently had a situation where my local power company had to do some repairs on my line. I've got a standby generator so normally in a power outage my server only runs on the ups for about 15 seconds before the generator comes online. It seems though that the power company has a policy to disconnect the generator for safety reasons before performing some repairs. This of course resulted in an extended power outage and server shutdown (as configured in APCUPSD settings).

My problem is that the server did not restart after power was restored to the ups. I'm guessing that I am missing a setting somewhere. Don't see anything in the ups settings that appears to be related to this function at all. Activated the "Help" menu but I don't see any mention of this there either.

This isn't something that occurs often. Just an unfortunate chain of events. I'd still like to correct the issue if possible.

Keep in mind that once the battery backup has been used, it takes a comparatively long time to recover the battery charge. You do not want to get into a situation where the power goes out, the server shuts down, power comes back on, server starts booting, power goes back out, battery backup doesn't have enough juice left and dies while the server is starting up.

Like you said, it's a rare occurrence,  probably better to manually power it back up when you know the situation has been resolved.

Archived