Supermicro X7SPA L/H/HF ATOM serverboards (Level 1 Tested)

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started experiencing yet more read errors on a different SATA port.  What I basically discovered is that with 3TB+ drives, the SATA cables are extremely sensitive to what I like to call "induction destruction" due to one's endeavor to aesthetically "clean up" the tangle of wires by zip-tying parallel runs together.

Hi Auggie,

I have the same board, several 2TB drives w/ SATA cables zip tied together, and I'm considering adding some 3TB drives whenever unRAID 5.0 goes gold.  How did you see read errors you mentioned?  i.e. Where did you see the errors being reported?

• 3 months later...

I have an X7SPA-HF D510 motherboard with:

1. IPMI Firmware Version 2.02

2. BIOS version 1.1b

I saw on SuperMicro website that there are newer versions:

1. IPMI Firmware Version 2.66

2. BIOS version 1.2a

I am planning on using a 3TB drive soon.

Do I have to upgrade the BIOS? IPMI?

• 4 weeks later...

I just fetched my X7SPA-HF from my attic in order to run some Solaris/ZFS backup tests and thus bringing it back to life (...bought 3 pcs SEAGATE Barracuda 3TB 7.2krpms to test with)

As the CMOS battery was low, I decided to also update BIOS and IPMI to latest version.

After that  I have found some issues (don't know if they are related to BIOS/IPMI versions):

- I  needed to DISABLE "Active State Power Management" in order to have working, stable NICs

(I am testing with Solaris/Openindiana only...cannot recall these issues from use with unRAID and earlier BIOS versions)

- The mobo POSTs a beep when BIOS is up and upon shutdown, which is normal.

Now, when I shut it down, the beep continues to "whine/whiz" at a very faint level for a VERY long time (or until I pull the plug)

...tested with a set of different PSUs...same result.

I saw on SuperMicro website that there are newer versions:

1. IPMI Firmware Version 2.66

2. BIOS version 1.2a

I am planning on using a 3TB drive soon.

Do I have to upgrade the BIOS? IPMI?

I do not know if you HAVE to upgrade...but I can confirm that 3TB disks work fine

with BIOS 1.2a and IPMI 2.66 (although IPMI is not at all part of that game, AFAIK).

• 3 months later...

I also have the problem with the constant beep when system is off. (IPMI FW 2.66, there is no problem with previous versions of the FW or BIOS)

After some troubleshooting it seems to be related to my PSU (I have a Chenbro ES34169 w/120w internal PSU). When I tested with another PSU the beep disappeared...

I have mail Supermicro and asked them if this is expected behavior. Everything seems to work fine when the system is on, and there has been no problems with previous versions of the FW

• 4 weeks later...

HI

I'm interrested to buy the X7SPA-HF (with the CSE-502L 200b case) for making a home server powered by Windows 7 Pro: webserver with apache/php/mysql to host 4 wordpress website (400 visitors/day on each website) and to use 3 weather soft for my weather station (the softs only work on windows). I already have a home server who doing the job (Asus M4A785TD-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X4 955 black Edition) but need 100 watts/h. I need a low power server with 19" rack.

Did you think the X7SPA-HF will do the job ?

Regards

HI

I'm interrested to buy the X7SPA-HF (with the CSE-502L 200b case) for making a home server powered by Windows 7 Pro: webserver with apache/php/mysql to host 4 wordpress website (400 visitors/day on each website) and to use 3 weather soft for my weather station (the softs only work on windows). I already have a home server who doing the job (Asus M4A785TD-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X4 955 black Edition) but need 100 watts/h. I need a low power server with 19" rack.

Did you think the X7SPA-HF will do the job ?

Regards

Are these users/visitors all readers only, then it might work out i think...for editors, I doubt it.

What's the load statistic on your old/existing server?

Also RAM might be an issue...AFAIR the X7SPA does only support up to 4GB....how many visitors are running concurrent?

In terms of power/energy the Atom will run low...but has no headroom (it will just run, no idle states!)

A Pentium G, i3, i5  or XEON will idle even lower as the Atom runs but can deliver more if need be.

How about one of the SuperMicro mini-ITX X9S series motherboards?

The new ones have 4xGEth ports!!!

Yes, very nice but quite expensive.

A X9SCL-F with a G860T (35WTDP) should do the trick...SM features a 1U with that board as well, http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/1U/5017/SYS-5017C-LF.cfm

I'd recommend to look for one with a 80plus Gold PSU to increase efficiency, even on idle.

I would go with the 2120 for 2 reasons.

1. If you get an old stock (more then a few months old) server, it will have the wrong bios to boot the 3120

2. there are some oddities when mixing-and-matching gen2 and gen3 chips/boards.

This not just with supermicro, but across the board with several brands. the whole backwards compatible thing was never fully tested outside of reference boards. While it might not effect you today, a year from now, you might do the V8 head slap.

Keep in mind you need ECC unbuffered RAM for this server and a hard drive.

I'd probably get smaller SSD for cool, quiet, and ready in an instant availability. Also to help with energy efficiency.

If you have needs for more then 1 server, keep the Xeon E3-1230 V2 CPU in mind. while it is $100 then the I3, you could reasaly run several virtual servers on that same physical server with Hyper-v or the Free ESXi.

You would probably still be under the 100watt mark. but, you could run a full farm of virtual servers on that box.

• 4 months later...

The video out from my new build using a thrice recycled BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M just failed while on the first Preclear of my 4  4TB STCA4000100 DMs.

Does IPMI allow access the local terminal (using ALT+F1-F6 to open up to 6 terminals) when needed (i.e. for a preclear), then shut down the Win7 computer hosting the IPMI while the processes finish?

As of now, the machine will be left on 24x7 for XBMC (dvd iso, bluray iso, high-bit rate music, pictures, xbmc mysql, Win7 Image Backups) - with up to 3 outgoing Raspbmc outs and 1 Win7 Encoding machine In.

What I have:

I would like to use the onboard SATA rather than install my old AOC until it is needed

In theory, going with Tom’s AVS-10/4 spec’d machines should give me the best compatibility with the software, no?

$340

-Will the dual 1.8 GHz core be enough for large array sized parity checks?  I will be adding more 4+TB drives as I continue to purchase Blu-Ray movies.

-Will it be enough for multiple user access at the same time?

-My Fractal Design R4 case can accommodate ITX.  Supermicro lists this board as Mini-ITX.  Is this the same thing?

$600

-Other than being $260 more than the atom option, upping the ram 4 times, and giving me an extra 1 Ghz/core... will this be a worthy upgrade for media streaming?  It really is a good deal over what I would like to spend and as of now, I do NOT care about virtualization. 

-The memory is ECC... does this even make a difference on modern hardware?

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS, STRONG OPINIONS, OR CONCERNS?

I thank you all!

The video out from my new build using a thrice recycled BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M just failed while on the first Preclear of my 4  4TB STCA4000100 DMs.

Does IPMI allow access the local terminal (using ALT+F1-F6 to open up to 6 terminals) when needed (i.e. for a preclear), then shut down the Win7 computer hosting the IPMI while the processes finish?

...Yes, it does...you can disconnect and reconnect any time.

...Yes, it does...you can disconnect and reconnect any time.

Froody Ix! 

As of now, the machine will be left on 24x7 for XBMC (dvd iso, bluray iso, high-bit rate music, pictures, xbmc mysql, Win7 Image Backups) - with up to 3 outgoing Raspbmc outs and 1 Win7 Encoding machine In.

I'd go with the S1155 build, but if 4GB RAM is OK for you, there is no reason to go higher here.

Yes, ECC is an extra layer of "protection"...if you can afford it, I'd go with that.

You also do not need the T-model of the chip...TDP is lower, but maybe in your build you have room enough and good airflow....a non-T will idle as low as a T model.

The Atom is OK, but an i3 or even a Celeron or Pentium G will give you more headroom.

I'd go with the S1155 build, but if 4GB RAM is OK for you, there is no reason to go higher here.

Yes, ECC is an extra layer of "protection"...if you can afford it, I'd go with that.

You also do not need the T-model of the chip...TDP is lower, but maybe in your build you have room enough and good airflow....a non-T will idle as low as a T model.

The Atom is OK, but an i3 or even a Celeron or Pentium G will give you more headroom.

Given that my abandoned build only had 2 GB of Ram...

And given that I only plan on using this for file streaming....

With the add ons - unRaid, Mail, Monthly Parity, Cache Directories, XBMC XML hosting, APC UPS...

I just do not know what the higher headroom offers.

I really do not know how to guesstimate know how much memory I need.

I have PLENTY of case airflow... but this is in a closed closet (bifold doors... I cut a vent in the drywall up top).

Thanks for the feedback :)

Given that my abandoned build only had 2 GB of Ram...

And given that I only plan on using this for file streaming....

With the add ons - unRaid, Mail, Monthly Parity, Cache Directories, XBMC XML hosting, APC UPS...

I just do not know what the higher headroom offers.

I really do not know how to guesstimate know how much memory I need.

I have PLENTY of case airflow... but this is in a closed closet (bifold doors... I cut a vent in the drywall up top).

You can get away with the less the amount of money as calculated for the Atom build, by getting the X9SCM-F, Pentium G2120 and 8GB of RAM.

...and 8GB will be PLENTY for a build without virtualization and the Pentium G will outperform the ATOM by FAR and will idle lower.

You can get away with the less the amount of money as calculated for the Atom build, by getting the X9SCM-F, Pentium G2120 and 8GB of RAM.

...and 8GB will be PLENTY for a build without virtualization and the Pentium G will outperform the ATOM by FAR and will idle lower.

Thanks!