Current pending sector

ehauk

So I had my first parity check error (only 1 error) a few days ago. One of my disks has a Current pending sector = 1. I ran an extended smart test and it completed without error. I have a new drive that is currently preclearing. There appears to be different trains of thought as to how to proceed. I'm not sure if I should rebuild with the new disk or rerun the parity check. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hitachi_HDS5C3020ALA632_ML2220F30V1YHE-20160912-0940.txt

Assuming the parity error was corrected (Do you run correcting checks?), you should confirm all is well by running another parity check.    If your check was non-correcting, you need to run a correcting check so the error will be fixed -- THEN run a second check (I always just run correcting checks, but some folks prefer to only do those when they know there's an error).

... r.e. the pending sector =>  If you have enough space on another system, I'd copy the entire contents of the drive with the pending sector to that drive;  then force a reformat of that drive [assign a different file system; Start the array; Stop the array and assign the file system you actually want (e.g. XFS); and then Start the array again and let it format the drive;  and then copy the data back.    That should force reallocation of the pending sector.  If it does not, I'd simply replace the drive.

I do have it set to write corrections to parity disk. Does that influence your suggested course of action? I do not currently have enough storage space to copy all the contents to another location. Should I add my new disk to the array and use it to shuffle around the data?

Agree => You can simply replace the drive with the pending sector with your new drive.

I'd do the following:

(a)  Replace the drive with your new drive and let the system rebuild it.  [The safest way to do this is Stop the array; unassign the drive;  Start the array so it's shown as "missing";  Stop the array and assign your new drive to that slot; and then Start the array and wait for it to rebuild the drive (many hours).

(b)  Do a parity check to confirm all is well after the rebuild.  This is the ONE time I recommend doing a non-correcting check (so if anything went wrong you can repeat the rebuild).

©  Now you can pre-clear the drive with the pending sector ... this should result in that sector being reallocated -- or possibly even cleared altogether.    Then you can add the drive to your array if the pending is cleared.

So I did the rebuild with the new disk and everything seems back to normal, but it did come back with these 3 messages. Should I be concerned?

Event: unRAID Status

Subject: Notice [TOWER] - array health report [FAIL]

Description: Array has 5 disks (including parity)

Importance: alert

Parity - ST4000DM000-1F2168_Z302SH7E (sdg) - active 34 C [OK]

Disk 1 - HGST_HMS5C4040ALE640_PL2331LAG6008J (sdf) - active 37 C [DISK INVALID]

Disk 2 - Hitachi_HDS5C3020ALA632_ML0220F31JRX3N (sdd) - standby [OK]

Disk 3 - WDC_WD20EZRX-00DC0B0_WD-WMC300847032 (sdb) - active 31 C [OK]

Disk 4 - Hitachi_HDS5C3020ALA632_ML2220F30XHGSE (sde) - standby [OK]

Data rebuild in progress.

Total size: 4 TB

Elapsed time: 10 hours, 16 minutes

Current position: 3.38 TB (84.4 %)

Estimated speed: 86.1 MB/sec

Estimated finish: 2 hours, 1 minute

Sync errors corrected: 1

Event: unRAID Disk 1 message

Subject: Notice [TOWER] - Disk 1 returned to normal operation

Description: HGST_HMS5C4040ALE640_PL2331LAG6008J (sdf)

Importance: normal

Event: unRAID Data rebuild:

Subject: Notice [TOWER] - Data rebuild: finished (1 errors)

Description: Duration: unavailable (no parity-check entries logged)

Importance: warning

Archived