Cash disk mover problem

tillo

Hi.

My cash disk is filled with like 98gb and have 2 gb free space left. The mover is running in an endless loop saying "No space left on device (28)"

Straight off my head I would say that I have probably configured something wrong but I cant see it. Drives me insane. I don't like to ask stupid questions, but right now I have to.

So probably a configuration problem by me, that I cant find right now. Pls help

What do you need?

You need to set the min Free space value (with the array stopped) for the cache drive under Settings->Global Share Settings to be more than the largest file you wish to copy.  With this set correctly, when the free space falls below this value then further files start going directly to the array drives bypassing the cache.    The cache will start being used again after mover runs and the free space on the cache rises to be more than the min Free space value.

Also, in case you thought otherwise, cached user share files get moved from cache to array at a scheduled time, rather than when the cache gets filled. If you are writing a lot of data to cached user shares you may have to manually start the mover or schedule it more frequently. The default is once per day. You can change this in Settings - Scheduler - Mover Settings. The "Move now" button is also located there.

Also, in case you thought otherwise, cached user share files get moved from cache to array at a scheduled time, rather than when the cache gets filled. If you are writing a lot of data to cached user shares you may have to manually start the mover or schedule it more frequently. The default is once per day. You can change this in Settings - Scheduler - Mover Settings. The "Move now" button is also located there.

The error according to the OP is from when mover runs not when copying to the array hence why I asked for diags showing the error

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

The error according to the OP is from when mover runs not when copying to the array hence why I asked for diags showing the error

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I read that then forgot it after reading the other responses.

Tillo, the one you gave us is just after a reboot. We need to see the error in context so next time it happens get a diagnostic and post it. Then we can maybe get some idea of what user share it is trying to move or if you have some other problem.

Okey, strange.

I started the mover task again. And now it works.

The only thing that I did between the reboot and now was change the setting of the cache drive on the folder share from

prefer. to yes.

What is the difference between them? Could that have caused my problem?

Okey, strange.

I started the mover task again. And now it works.

The only thing that I did between the reboot and now was change the setting of the cache drive on the folder share from

prefer. to yes.

What is the difference between them? Could that have caused my problem?

As far as mover is concerned, Prefer is going to move stuff from the array to the cache drive.  Yes is going to move from the cache drive to the array

And if prefer runs first, then yeah it would have caused the problems since the cache drive was effectively full

Then... That was probably why I had the problem.

But then I think you (the developers) should re-write the help section/ description of the settings for the "use cache disk:"

it is now stated:

Yes:

"indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficant space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transfered off the Cache disk/pool and onto the array."

Prefer:

"indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficant space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transfered off the array and onto Cache disk/pool."

I totally missed the small/sudden change/difference in the text description in the end of the text, the part that I underlined. It would be nice it you could maybe highlight that part in the program or underline it. Just to make it a bit more clear for us, the users.

PS. I think the word "insufficant" might be misspelled in the description i think it is spelled insufficient DS.

Thanx for all the help :-) The server is doing what it is suppose to be doing now. Awesome work from everyone on the forum. It feels good to always be able to count on you to help out.

Archived