Head Crash

JonathanM

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39892.msg508396#msg508396

The read heads (yes, ALL 8 of them) were all in the filters and scattered around as a fine dust. All 4 platters both sides were gouged the same way. I'm scratching my head how this could happen, none of the other drives in the machine show any signs of failure. It's almost like that particular drive lost atmosphere, and all the heads touched down. The motor and head positioning bearings seemed ok, no excessive play that I could detect.

BTW, I'm writing this on a VM hosted by the machine that had this drive as an array member. ;D

Bloody hell.....

Never seen any drive fail that badly.....

Think you can get any data off?  ;D

;D Only with a scanning tunneling microscope. Funny thing is, that's only about 72 hours worth of damage. Unraid failed the drive around 8PM on Friday, I shut down the server around noon on Monday. Came in to what sounded like rushing water in the server closet.

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39892.msg508396#msg508396

The read heads (yes, ALL 8 of them) were all in the filters and scattered around as a fine dust. All 4 platters both sides were gouged the same way. I'm scratching my head how this could happen, none of the other drives in the machine show any signs of failure. It's almost like that particular drive lost atmosphere, and all the heads touched down. The motor and head positioning bearings seemed ok, no excessive play that I could detect.

BTW, I'm writing this on a VM hosted by the machine that had this drive as an array member. ;D

So, you mentioned all the heads touching down, which is likely if the motor fails (drops rpms). But it is also possible that one head crashed and the resulting debris got into all the remaining heads.

I'm not sure anything can get the dust back in the right places, or sort it.

So, you mentioned all the heads touching down, which is likely if the motor fails (drops rpms). But it is also possible that one head crashed and the resulting debris got into all the remaining heads.

I'm not sure anything can get the dust back in the right places, or sort it.

Actually, the single head catastrophic crash followed by debris erosion on the rest of the heads makes a lot of sense.

I had plenty of warning, the reallocated sector count had been climbing steadily, with the accompanying notifications. I think it only got to about 300 before the drive exploded though.  8)

Sure would be nice if all failures gave that much advance warning.

Strangely, I recall reading bad things about the 1TB 7200.11 drive even a few years ago, which is why the last few drives I bought were from WD.

I still have my old 160GB 7200.7 PATA drive, though. I think it may still work, but it's been sitting cold in storage for so long, I don't have a purpose for it.

Strangely, I recall reading bad things about the 1TB 7200.11 drive even a few years ago, which is why the last few drives I bought were from WD.

The problem with the 7200.11's were the firmware (which was Seagate's first attempt at creating the NAS drives and made a mistake with them) which was easily fixed even after the drives got bricked...

I still have my old 160GB 7200.7 PATA drive, though. I think it may still work, but it's been sitting cold in storage for so long, I don't have a purpose for it.

I bear it no ill will. Pretty sure it was in use 24/7/365 since purchase, so I'd call that good.

Keep in mind even the absolute WORST statistical drive failure numbers mean there are a high number of drives from the set that perform well over a very long lifetime.

Drive statistics may be personally meaningful if you have hundreds or thousands of drives to look after, but are pretty meaningless for single digit quantities.

I see many more drive failures from handling during shipping and after installation than I do from manufacturing issues.

Yeah, I figured you had a long lived drive. It was the firmware issue at the time, but I don't really know what to do now to shop for the most effective storage option. Figure I may eventually need to get a pair of 6TB drives, and upgrade unRAID to Plus, and make one of those drives my first parity volume.

Nice mess. The gouge looks deep enough it would soon cause the center to break out of the patter. You should let it go and see if it'll explode...

I had a drive years ago fail where one where the one side of the platter was fairly evenly ground down so there was no shine left on it. There was a lot of dust in it. It happened in < 10 hours while I was at work. The drive was continually seeking and then parking the bad head across the platter when I came home. You know the very audible seek and park sounds old drives would make.

I presume you were able to simply replace & rebuild the drive with no loss of data [Hopefully you also had backups].

Yeah, no muss no fuss, unraid just worked. It's actually a low priority backup server anyway, which explains the old drive. The entire machine could go TU and I'd only be out a few minutes work to get back running on one of my other VM's hosted on a different physical box at a different address.

Nice mess. The gouge looks deep enough it would soon cause the center to break out of the patter. You should let it go and see if it'll explode...

Heh, unfortunately it's been totally disassembled, I salvaged the magnets and other fun parts. Anybody got any ideas for reusing drive motors? I have a box of 30 or so to pick from.

Heh, unfortunately it's been totally disassembled, I salvaged the magnets and other fun parts. Anybody got any ideas for reusing drive motors? I have a box of 30 or so to pick from.

Personally, I hang all my old drives with covers removed on the office wall as decoration (along with ancient CPU's / mobos

Technically, I would also own the backyard, and have made sure that I ran power to the shed, stocked it with a beer fridge and a pair of stonehenge speakers (and wired ethernet too).  (Did manage to get the mower in there too :(  )  Garage unfortunately is mostly a gathering point for everything that I just never seem to find the time to find a home for.