unRAID 6.2.4 unable to assign drives - all drives greyed out

StanC

I am helping a friend out today trying to add a second parity drive on his unRAID 6.2.4 system and ran into an issue where the drive was greyed out. So we decided to start with a New Config and now all of the drives are greyed out and we cannot assign them. Can anyone help us with this?

Not sure about the problem you mentioned, but the syslog is full of attempts to hack into the system from addresses on the public internet.    Do you have the unRAID system exposed to the public internet?  UnRAID is not designed to operate securely in such a case, and could easily end up compromised.

This is not at all alarming, no sir:

Nov  7 13:41:47 Tower sshd[3820]: Accepted none for bin from 185.14.29.65 port 36774 ssh2
Nov  7 14:04:28 Tower sshd[14760]: Accepted none for bin from 185.20.184.117 port 38982 ssh2
Nov  7 14:19:34 Tower sshd[20863]: Accepted none for bin from 5.34.183.231 port 48100 ssh2
Nov  7 14:44:52 Tower sshd[30088]: Accepted none for sshd from 204.12.255.154 port 64601 ssh2

Good thing those accounts have no shell configured!

Here is my latest update.  I reverted back to unRAID 6.1.9 -- all disks are now assignable.  I let the parity check complete.  Then added a SATA expansion card, added my new disk.  Brought the system back up and all is looking good.  The new drive is assignable as a new data disk (although I did not assign it to anything).  Feeling confident, I upgraded to 6.2.4, then rebooted my system.  All looks to be okay, but when I try to assign the new disk (and yes it is precleared), I cannot assign as either a data disk or parity2.  I'm stuck!!!  All of the other drives appear to be fine.

Attaching a copy of latest diagnostics hoping that some one can shed some light as to what is going on here.

tower-diagnostics-20161110-1234.zip

Finally some good news -- I have been successful in updating to 6.2.4 with all drives.  It shouldn't have had to be this way, but it was the only solution that worked for me.  Since nothing had crashed all of my data on the array & flash was available so....

[*]removed the the flash drive & made a full copy to my PC

[*]wiped the flash

[*]downloaded a fresh new copy of 6.2.4 zip file & loaded onto the flash drive

[*]copied to the flash drive selected files such as (/boot/config/{network.cfg, Plus.key, ident.cfg & the share directory} from my backup image.

[*]booted the host and was running 6.2.4.  All of my drives were there & SELECTABLE including the new parity disk (which started this whole issue)

The parity check is taking > 2 days to complete, but I'm okay with that.

Thank you StanC for helping me throughout this whole episode of trouble-shooting etc.

Archived