Use pcie wifi card with unraid ?

nalfein

Do you have an ethernet port and just want to use the wifi card in a VM? If so then passing it to the VM should work.

unRAID itself requires an ethernet connection though so if you are trying to get unRAID on the network the VM wifi will not help get unRAID on the network.

Thanks for the reply. So at least I will be able to get a wireless connection with my main vm :)  But isn't currently a way to get unraid os to recognise the pcie card and use it to share the internet to multiple vms ? That would be convenient if I want to use multiple vms at the same time.

Well I live in a quite big house a thus unless I drill holes (which I will probably do) there's no way I will find a cable long enough to connect my  computer so using the wireless router would have been really convenient. Well I guess I will wait till I drill the holes before setting up unraid. Thanks for your answers.

Well I live in a quite big house a thus unless I drill holes (which I will probably do) there's no way I will find a cable long enough to connect my  computer so using the wireless router would have been really convenient. Well I guess I will wait till I drill the holes before setting up unraid. Thanks for your answers.

I want to help, but I'm not entirely clear on what you are trying to achieve.

Are you hoping to creating a VM-based router (like PFsense) inside of UnRaid and using that to provide Wireless access to the internet to other devices in your house? If so, then it is definitely doable, though if you search the forum, I believe a number of people advise against having a router inside a vm as your main point of entry/exit to the internet.

That said, it might be easier to simply use a stand-alone wireless router to take care of this duty. Also, as trurl points out, if the device you are hoping to access the internet with is out of wireless range, powerline ethernet is a decent substitute for actual networking. Not gigabit speeds for sure, but newer powerline ethernet is pretty decent...

If that's not what you are hoping to do, please expand a bit on your requirements... :)

My goal was simply to get unraid to recognize my gigabyte pcie wifi card so I could get (the server) connected to internet and be able to use the web interface to control the server without connecting it physically with a rj45 cable to my router. While I do no longer have this problem (ended up drilling holes to pass the ethernet cable ) it could (perhap) still be interesting for someone who's router is far away from the server.

My goal was simply to get unraid to recognize my gigabyte pcie wifi card so I could get (the server) connected to internet and be able to use the web interface to control the server without connecting it physically with a rj45 cable to my router. While I do no longer have this problem (ended up drilling holes to pass the ethernet cable ) it could (perhap) still be interesting for someone who's router is far away from the server.

I don't see it happening, at least not until (if) wireless matures to the point it is as fast and bullet proof as wired. There are limited scenarios where having your main server only available through a bandwidth and stability limited connection is desirable. Most people on here are already pushing the limits of GB wired networking, with more and more people stepping up to 10GB. Wireless is a serious step back, and would cause many more headaches and support issues that could not be solved.

For those who simply cannot connect with a wire, there are already options available, via wireless to ethernet bridges, or MOCA, or powerline adapters. Given those main points, native wifi support is probably not happening.

I hope you mean to control the server on your local network. Do not put your server on the internet!

Archived