Slow upload with CrashPlan

I'm trying out CrashPlan on my UnRaid server, and the upload speeds are abysmal. I'm getting around 100-200kbps upload. My internet isn't high end, but I do have 10MBps upload which I would love to use at least half of.

I set CrashPlan to use 90% CPU and I have no bandwidth limits set on it.

I have 300GB of data I am trying to upload.

The rest of the settings are at their default.

The CPU usage is staying around 2-5%.

If there is anything else that it would help to know, just let me know.

Any ideas?

Are you uploading to CrashPlan's servers?

In my experience backing up to CrashPlan’s servers is slow, at least from where I’m located. Backing up more or less incompressible data typically results in around 3Mb/s (less than 0.5MB/s) with low CPU usage, despite a 100Mb/s connection. The same backup set to a private CrashPlan install is way way faster. Same results for both my unRAID docker and regular PC installs.

Not quite sure what speeds you are getting, typically B is used for byte and b for bit, but a 10 megabyte per second upload is … nonstandard.

Sorry I was a bit unclear. I am backing up to my UnRaid server, and then my UnRaid server is backing up to CrashPlan's servers. I'm getting 15-19MB/s when backing up to my UnRaid server, which is fair enough. It's my UnRaid server backing up to CrashPlan's server that is getting 100-200KB/s. My connection is a 10MB/s connection, so 10MB/s is my max upload speed, not the speed that I am getting.

There are a number of different things that influences the speed of the backup. The most obvious ones are our own bandwidth and the CPU allocated.

CrashPlan uses compression and data deduplication to reduce the amount of data being sent (CrashPlan puts your files in a compressed backup archive). Compression doesn’t use that much resources but data deduplication will, especially if you have a lot of data already backed up. Another factor is the load on the server that you are backing up to (if there are many simultaneous users or not).

If have 100 Mbit bandwidth and my backup speed can range from 5 Mbit up to almost 100 Mbit to the CrashPlan cloud (11 TByte of data stored).

The speed you see does indicate that there is something fundamentally wrong. Even if CrashPlan doesn’t give support for specific questions related to Docker installation they will be able to provide general support so it might be good to contact them. They will respond within a few days normally for non-urgent matters.

You are mentioning that that you backup from one device to another and then to the CrashPlan cloud. If you are doing that, this article might be useful. http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Can_I_Back_Up_A_Backup

My provider gives me 10Mbps, I actually never knew there was a difference sorry.

That makes more sense.  That means that your maximum theoretical upload speed is around 1MB/sec so Crashplan is using around 10-20% of the available bandwidth.  It might be worth checking if there is any setting that limits what proportion of the bandwidth it uses.

My provider gives me 10Mbps, I actually never knew there was a difference sorry.

That makes more sense.  That means that your maximum theoretical upload speed is around 1MB/sec so Crashplan is using around 10-20% of the available bandwidth.  It might be worth checking if there is any setting that limits what proportion of the bandwidth it uses.

I found one, but it was set to be limitless.