no new syslog on flash after power down?

drawde

2nd time this month i had an unexplained crash and when i power down (holding power) and move the flash to a different computer there is no recent syslog to be found. is there a setting somewhere i'm missing?

also each time i've done this, there were errors on my flash that needed to be corrected. is my flash drive going bad? any tools you guys recommend to check?

2nd time this month i had an unexplained crash and when i power down (holding power) and move the flash to a different computer there is no recent syslog to be found. is there a setting somewhere i'm missing?

unRaid runs in ram and is unpacked every boot up, and a side effect is that the syslog is not saved to the flash drive all the time.

also each time i've done this, there were errors on my flash that needed to be corrected. is my flash drive going bad? any tools you guys recommend to check?

Not unheard of since the flash drive wasn't unmounted prior to boot.  Akin to not ejecting a flash drive from within Windows prior to pulling it.

If you're having random crashes, installing the Fix Common Problems plugin and putting it into troubleshooting mode might help as diagnostics will be continually generated every half hour, and the syslog will be saved onto the flash drive up to the crash.

If you are holding down the power button the system won't shut down in an orderly fashion, that only happens after a quick press of the power button. Holding is rude! :P

lol i tried that first. also couldn't ssh in.

If you're having random crashes, installing the Fix Common Problems plugin and putting it into troubleshooting mode might help as diagnostics will be continually generated every half hour, and the syslog will be saved onto the flash drive up to the crash.

i'll give this a try. i thought the syslog was automatically continually stored onto the flash.