System crashing while moving data

deldran

Hello Everyone.

I am in the process of migrating my windows based media server/desktop to unraid.  I have all my media files on an 8TB usb3.0 hard drive.  I have mounted this and via rsync have been copying the ~7.2TB of data into my 8TB pool.  I am 6.6TB into it and all the sudden if i start an rsync the system hangs and the only way to recover is a hard boot.

I get some text on the console monitor and then it just hangs.  The only thing I can think of is possibly an ntfs issue since the system crashed and that drive was not properly unmounted.

My pool is 3 drives.  2 3TB drives and 1 2TB drive.  all drives are using Btrfs.

I have also attached my diagnostics ZIP.

Any help would be appreciated.  would really prefer not to go back to windows at this point.

unraid-diagnostics-20170203-0630.zip

Scrub is not the best option for this, scrub finds data corruption, not necessarily file system corruption, start the array in maintenance mode and run:

btrfs check /dev/mdX

Replace X with each disk, this should be also much faster than scrub.

PS: you can cancel the scrubs by running:

btrfs scrub cancel /mnt/diskX

Never mind.  My 2 TB drive is not happy.  I tried using the "--repair" switch on the check command and it was unable to repair it.

So now my question is this.  If I reformat that drive.  Will it break other data in the share were I am keeping my data?

My thought on fixing this is the following.

1.) Reformat the drive

2.) Perform rsync to move data from usb3 drive back into my Media share.

In theory rsync should see the missing files and move them again.

Will this work how I expect it to?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just some observations:

Most users prefer XFS for data disks, it's more stable and has better recovering tools.

Also as you already found out, btrfs check --repair doesn't always work and is recommended only as a last resort, there are other recovery tools, like btrfs restore but may require the disk to be formatted  (after restoring data to another disk) to completely fix the file system.

Having said that, I really like some of the BTRFS features and already converted most of my servers from XFS (and plan on converting the remaining), just make sure you're using it on a stable and UPS protected server and are aware of its shortcomings.