Can't edit docker config after recovering from a mem stick crash [solved]

local.bin

Suffice to say I had no backup, but have managed to get all my dockers running again with their configs backed up.

I am not able to edit any of them though and wondered why that would be?

Is there an xml file or something I am missing that would have been stored away from the main docker config?

Thanks in advance

Suffice to say I had no backup, but have managed to get all my dockers running again with their configs backed up.

Is there an xml file or something I am missing that would have been stored away from the main docker config?

Thanks in advance

What do you mean by "not able to edit"  Does the option to edit not show up?

Thanks in advance

What do you mean by "not able to edit"  Does the option to edit not show up?

Exactly that, edit doesn't show up. Can start / stop but not edit...

I wondered if any file permissions were preventing edit or something else is a miss.

I am reluctant to mess as I have them all back and working after my scare, so thought I'd ask the experts first.

You're probably missing the my* templates within config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user on the flash drive

If you've got a backup of the flash drive, copy them back, or take a screenshot of the main docker page, and delete the containers, then re-add them and set the templates back up

You're probably missing the my* templates within config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user on the flash drive

If you've got a backup of the flash drive, copy them back, or take a screenshot of the main docker page, and delete the containers, then re-add them and set the templates back up

I have a backup now, but not before, my bad, but I have my VM's going, but not these templates.

Do I have to setup each vm again as a new one and point it to the config directory, which I do have.. setting up the new directories etc?

Thanks in advance.

I have a backup now, but not before, my bad, but I have my VM's going, but not these templates.

Do I have to setup each vm again as a new one and point it to the config directory, which I do have.. setting up the new directories etc?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you are really still talking about dockers and haven't changed the subject to VMs.

If you have recreated your dockers then the templates should be there on your flash now. Have you looked?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you are really still talking about dockers and haven't changed the subject to VMs.

If you have recreated your dockers then the templates should be there on your flash now. Have you looked?

All complete thank you, recreated all my dockers without issue.

Merely mentioned VM's in that everything else is recreated from scratch, except the dockers.

Thanks to @squids pointers I am back with everything running and as it was before the stick failed; but with a backup this time.

Thanks.

Thanks in advance.

All complete thank you, recreated all my dockers without issue.

Merely mentioned VM's in that everything else is recreated from scratch, except the dockers.

Thanks to @squids pointers I am back with everything running and as it was before the stick failed; but with a backup this time.

Thanks.

Look at CA Appdata Backup -> will make backups of your appdata and flash drive on a schedule to also alleviate this problem.

Yes thanks for that, I did find it yesterday and it backed up my files.

It also backed up my VM xml's which were stored under /etc/ (which I didn't realise) so I managed to restore those with ease as well, thanks again.

I don't currently use VMs, but I do know that /etc will not survive a reboot, so the VM XMLs must be copied there from flash. Only /boot (the flash drive) and /mnt (the mount point for disks and user shares) are persistent storage. All other OS folders are in RAM. Explore your flash drive and maybe you can find them.

It also backed up my VM xml's which were stored under /etc/ (which I didn't realise) so I managed to restore those with ease as well, thanks again.

I don't currently use VMs, but I do know that /etc will not survive a reboot, so the VM XMLs must be copied there from flash. Only /boot (the flash drive) and /mnt (the mount point for disks and user shares) are persistent storage. All other OS folders are in RAM. Explore your flash drive and maybe you can find them.

That is odd then, as the flash drive was goosed and mac/linux and win10 all said it needed formatting and was uninitialized. That held out as I formatted and reconfigured from a clean install and rebooted. It rebooted once and then became uninitialised again, so I formatted and destroyed.

So not sure how the CA Backup plugin found it then  :(

Could it be the /etc/libvirt-/ that I seem to have as well as /etc/libvirt/ ?

That is odd then, as the flash drive was goosed and mac/linux and win10 all said it needed formatting and was uninitialized. That held out as I formatted and reconfigured from a clean install and rebooted. It rebooted once and then became uninitialised again, so I formatted and destroyed.

So not sure how the CA Backup plugin found it then  :(

Could it be the /etc/libvirt-/ that I seem to have as well as /etc/libvirt/ ?

Perhaps they are kept on one of the shares unRAID creates when you install or enable VMs, in which case they would be wherever those shares are. I think those shares would probably be cache-prefer.

The mount point for libvirt.img is within /etc so this is an exception to the rule.  And all the xml are stored within the image not on the flash drive

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

The mount point for libvirt.img is within /etc so this is an exception to the rule.  And all the xml are stored within the image not on the flash drive

But /etc is in RAM as I mentioned. The only way to get /etc to persist is by rewriting it in the bzroot archive. I think there must be a link somewhere in this to persistent storage.

But /etc is in RAM as I mentioned. The only way to get /etc to persist is by rewriting it in the bzroot archive. I think there must be a link somewhere in this to persistent storage.

Wherever libvirt.img is stored on the array.  Gets mounted within /etc/... at bootup

Wherever libvirt.img is stored on the array.  Gets mounted within /etc/... at bootup

OK, I get it. And the reason the docker XMLs are stored on flash instead of in docker.img is perhaps just a fact of the different histories of virtman and dockerman.

OK, I get it. And the reason the docker XMLs are stored on flash instead of in docker.img is perhaps just a fact of the different histories of virtman and dockerman.

More than likely

Archived