How much storage do you have in your UnRaid build?

jrd680

Storage Survey  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16TB  using two 8TB Reds. With the streaming services available I find I don't buy movie's any more and my storage needs are minimal. I would imagine that I will never fill these 2 drives. Pictures and important files are the only new items being put on the server, which makes my true backups easy to manage.

3 hours ago, burtjr said:

16TB  using two 8TB Reds. With the streaming services available I find I don't buy movie's any more and my storage needs are minimal. I would imagine that I will never fill these 2 drives. Pictures and important files are the only new items being put on the server, which makes my true backups easy to manage.

Fair point. I know thee's a plugin to show which movies are on your server and Netflix. Is there a plugin that just disables downloading movies and tv shows already on Netflix? Not sure but that's a thought. 

2 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

12TB array (+parity) 

250GB cache (fast)

2TB unassigned for temp download storage

Array will be bumped up to 16TB soon, which will be limit for attached drives before add in card or mobo upgrade.

Solid system! You've gotta start somewhere of course. Do you think you'll exceed above 16TB in the coming year?

1 hour ago, Alex.vision said:

86TB array with dual parity. Using 20 4TB disks and 1 6TB disk. 1 2TB Cache drive. Though I will say that I just lost three drives due to a Norco backplane failure so I'm down 12TB. I just purchased 10 8TB drives to make a backup though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Alex.vision wow that's an impressive system. A bummer though that those disks crashed. So are the 10 8TB disks for a separate backup system or to throw into your Norco system? None the less your on the right track for sure.

38 minutes ago, S80_UK said:

Interesting poll.

I have 20TB, but another 20TB in the backup server.  I responded as 11-20, but I can only vote once of course.

@S80_UK Smart to have a backup server. Do you buy 2 drives at a time and have nearly identical systems? 

33 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

107TB currently, 2x8TB parity drives, one 2TB cache drive.

@ashman70 Solid, is your cache drive a 2TB SSD? 

21 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

16TB should serve me well for the next 12 months at least, cache pool expansion will probably be the next focus.

Smart @tjb_altf4 sounds like a plan.

14 minutes ago, jrd680 said:
@Alex.vision wow that's an impressive system. A bummer though that those disks crashed. So are the 10 8TB disks for a separate backup system or to throw into your Norco system? None the less your on the right track for sure.

The 10 new 8TB drives are part of a separate build. I've needed to build an actual backup server for a while, but it's hard to do when you want to back up 80ish TB's of data. The best deal I could find on HDD was for 10 external USB drives. So despite the headache of that it was worth $20-30 less per drive to go that route. I'll use something like Drive Pool to map them all together then use beyond compare to sync them with my array.

Edit: can't quote proper portion on my phone

Edit: there we go

Edited by Alex.vision
48 minutes ago, Alex.vision said:

The 10 new 8TB drives are part of a separate build. I've needed to build an actual backup server for a while, but it's hard to do when you want to back up 80ish TB's of data. The best deal I could find on HDD was for 10 external USB drives. So despite the headache of that it was worth $20-30 less per drive to go that route. I'll use something like Drive Pool to map them all together then use beyond compare to sync them with my array.

Edit: can't quote proper portion on my phone

Edit: there we go

Interesting, is your separate build another server? In looking online at Beyond Compare it says it's a Windows, Mac, and Linux program. How do you sync that with UnRaid?  

24 minutes ago, jrd680 said:

Interesting, is your separate build another server? In looking online at Beyond Compare it says it's a Windows, Mac, and Linux program. How do you sync that with UnRaid?  

It will be a separate system.  I will most likely plug in the 10 new drives periodically into my main desktop, use Drive Pool to mount all the drives as one large single disk, then use beyond compare (on my windows desktop) to sync the two systems.  If the drives were not external I would just make another unRaid server, yet since they are, managing which drive has what data on it could become an issues.  Right now I'm just trying copy all of my data to new drives, with having three disks down on my unRaid box it means I don't have any protection against other drive failures, so I'm backing it all up as fast as I can.  Once that's finished I'm going to pull my three bad drives (all of which are the exact same models) plus one other disk of the same make.  Im going to try and swap the control board to see if I can access the data, it could be that the bad back plane only smoked the control boards to the disks, not the disks themselves.  If I can recover that data, then I will be super happy.  Ill replace those three drives with new ones, reinitialize my array with the new disks, and bring it back online.  At that point with my array back online and protected, I may void the warranty and pull my new 10 8TB drives out of their enclosures and put them in a new server box running unRaid, and run it as a backup that way.

Super long and convoluted method perhaps, but its what I came up with as the best option I had.  Right now I am still preclearing half of new drives @ 131 hours each, while also copying the first 8 array disk to the new external ones.  I've been kicking myself this whole time, why didn't I move all of my hardware into this case, test it, THEN plug in the disks.  My mistake of rushing through things my have cost me 12TB of files.  Wont be making that mistake again. 

I put 150TB because I have multiple unRAID arrays:

1. 90TB - BluRay/DVD rips and Netflix/Amazon prime recordings and system backups - vm server (all headless though)
  2. 55TB - HD & SD recordings off cable analog/cable qam/satellite/ATSC.
  3. 72TB - ATSC/QAM
  4. 96TB - HD recordings off cable analog/cable qam/satellite/ATSC
  5. not setup again but was 48TB before disassembly will be again in summer - SD recordings off cable analog/satellite HD ATSC/QAM
Edited by BobPhoenix

It will be a separate system.  I will most likely plug in the 10 new drives periodically into my main desktop, use Drive Pool to mount all the drives as one large single disk, then use beyond compare (on my windows desktop) to sync the two systems.  If the drives were not external I would just make another unRaid server, yet since they are, managing which drive has what data on it could become an issues.  Right now I'm just trying copy all of my data to new drives, with having three disks down on my unRaid box it means I don't have any protection against other drive failures, so I'm backing it all up as fast as I can.  Once that's finished I'm going to pull my three bad drives (all of which are the exact same models) plus one other disk of the same make.  Im going to try and swap the control board to see if I can access the data, it could be that the bad back plane only smoked the control boards to the disks, not the disks themselves.  If I can recover that data, then I will be super happy.  Ill replace those three drives with new ones, reinitialize my array with the new disks, and bring it back online.  At that point with my array back online and protected, I may void the warranty and pull my new 10 8TB drives out of their enclosures and put them in a new server box running unRaid, and run it as a backup that way.

Super long and convoluted method perhaps, but its what I came up with as the best option I had.  Right now I am still preclearing half of new drives @ 131 hours each, while also copying the first 8 array disk to the new external ones.  I've been kicking myself this whole time, why didn't I move all of my hardware into this case, test it, THEN plug in the disks.  My mistake of rushing through things my have cost me 12TB of files.  Wont be making that mistake again. 

That's a lot of work though a worthy challenge. Best of luck!
I put 150TB because I have multiple unRAID arrays:
  1. 90TB - BluRay/DVD rips and Netflix/Amazon prime recordings and system backups - vm server (all headless though)
  2. 55TB - HD & SD recordings off cable analog/cable qam/satellite/ATSC.
  3. 72TB - ATSC/QAM
  4. 96TB - HD recordings off cable analog/cable qam/satellite/ATSC
  5. not setup again but was 48TB before disassembly will be again in summer - SD recordings off cable analog/satellite HD ATSC/QAM

Do you hoard data like crazy or do you use those to prep, store, and upload to trackers/Usenet? Would it be feasible to combine all into one UnRaid server?
21 hours ago, jrd680 said:

Fair point. I know thee's a plugin to show which movies are on your server and Netflix. Is there a plugin that just disables downloading movies and tv shows already on Netflix? Not sure but that's a thought. 

I haven't seen one, but would be a great tool. I have Amazon and Netflix, but do not download any movies or shows.

21 hours ago, jrd680 said:

Do you hoard data like crazy or do you use those to prep, store, and upload to trackers/Usenet? Would it be feasible to combine all into one UnRaid server?

I record everything from DirecTV STBs and HD-PVRs as well as recording from ATSC tuners.  Most of the recordings have been done multiple times.  So while I don't have a byte for byte backup of a single show I have multiple servers containing recordings of the same show that may have aired at the same time or at different times.  For instance for one move I might have recordings of it from the same channel at the same time on multiple servers.  Or I might have multiple recordings of the movie that were recorded at different times on the same server  And combinations of those. 

I too do not and have not downloaded anything to watch on TV.  I even have recordings from Amazon Prime and Netflix done with PlayOn.  Not as good as I can get from the STB because the size is 720p and stereo rather than 1080i and 5.1 but I have them mostly for series and to avoid commercials on the commercial networks. Plus you don't get the popups in the recordings or reformatted to fit the screen recordings like you do with the premium channels like HBO and Stars for instance.

And yes I am a digital hoarder.  I don't watch shows once and delete them I record them and only delete if I don't like them.  If I like them well enough I buy the BluRays and then delete the recordings.

Edited by BobPhoenix
19 hours ago, jrd680 said:

wait you don't download movies or tv shows? Those people exist in the UnRaid world??

Lol, why yes they do, I think there are quite a few us here actually......My storage needs were for older DVD's and a couple of blue rays......I'm not current, typically a season behind, but I use Netflix and Amazon for my movie and TV needs.

Lol, why yes they do, I think there are quite a few us here actually......My storage needs were for older DVD's and a couple of blue rays......I'm not current, typically a season behind, but I use Netflix and Amazon for my movie and TV needs.

Ah I see. Sorry if I offended. Gotta remember people decide to just digitize their own DVD collections.
I record everything from DirecTV STBs and HD-PVRs as well as recording from ATSC tuners.  Most of the recordings have been done multiple times.  So while I don't have a byte for byte backup of a single show I have multiple servers containing recordings of the same show that may have aired at the same time or at different times.  For instance for one move I might have recordings of it from the same channel at the same time on multiple servers.  Or I might have multiple recordings of the movie that were recorded at different times on the same server  And combinations of those. 

I too do not and have not downloaded anything to watch on TV.  I even have recordings from Amazon Prime and Netflix done with PlayOn.  Not as good as I can get from the STB because the size is 720p and stereo rather than 1080i and 5.1 but I have them mostly for series and to avoid commercials on the commercial networks. Plus you don't get the popups in the recordings or reformatted to fit the screen recordings like you do with the premium channels like HBO and Stars for instance.

And yes I am a digital hoarder.  I don't watch shows once and delete them I record them and only delete if I don't like them.  If I like them well enough I buy the BluRays and then delete the recordings.

Fantastic! Not my cup of tea though it seems awesome. How do you name tv shows and movies?