New Application: S. N. A. P.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Just wondering how to mount the SNAP drive in ubuntu through nfs?

I've snapped a sata drive to /mnt/disk/PVR but on the ubuntu box I can't mount the drive.

I've edited the fstab with (from memory)

192.168.1.1://mnt/disk/PVR /mnt/pvr nfs *****(can't remember the rest)

It comes up with access denied by server.

mounting anything else from disk1 or user works fine.

showmount -e 192.168.1.1 doesn't show '/mnt/disk/' so I suspect it is a sharing issue is this right?

unmenu shows it as write only if that helps but I don't know how to snap it again as rw?

Thanks Josh

Okay this is what's in the fstab:

192.168.1.1:/mnt/disk/PVR  /mnt/pvr  nfs  soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

The folder in ubuntu is pvr.

unMenu log shows:

Tower mountd[11296]: refused mount request from 192.168.1.101 for /mnt/disk/PVR (/): not exported

Does anyone know how I get the SATA HDD that I've snapped exported?

Thanks Josh

Thanks queeg.

Does Snap samba share the drive automatically? As I've tried through a windows computer and it can't see the share disk and also with samba client on the ubuntu machine it can't connect to it either.

Thanks Josh

Yes, SNAP will mount and share the drive to the sharename you specify when adding it to SNAP.

The drive cannot be in the unRAID array and it has to have at least one partition with a filesystem on it.

Thanks queeg.

I can find the PVR samba mount through windows although it only shows one file that I copied from windows onto it. Don't know if this is related but there is another file on there that I cp through putty on the unraid box and it doesn't show up.

Anyhow I've edited the fstab on my ubuntu box to:

//192.168.1.1/mnt/disk/PVR /mnt/PVR  smbfs  auto,uid=1000,umask=000,user  0 0

run mount -a

and this is the error message I'm getting:

retrying with upper case share name

mount error(6): No such device or address

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Am I missing the directory location or something?

Thanks Josh

Thanks queeg.

I can find the PVR samba mount through windows although it only shows one file that I copied from windows onto it. Don't know if this is related but there is another file on there that I cp through putty on the unraid box and it doesn't show up.

Anyhow I've edited the fstab on my ubuntu box to:

//192.168.1.1/mnt/disk/PVR /mnt/PVR   smbfs  auto,uid=1000,umask=000,user   0 0

run mount -a

and this is the error message I'm getting:

retrying with upper case share name

mount error(6): No such device or address

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Am I missing the directory location or something?

Thanks Josh

There is an issue with Windows seeing files on a linux samba share depending on the octal attributes of the file/directory in question.  I don't have the information at hand at the moment.  From within linux check out the attibutes and you can chmod them to see when it shows up to windows. 

I'm don't know fstab syntax so I can't help with that.  I'm assuming the fstab entry is on your second linux machine trying to see the SNAP share on unRAID?

• 4 weeks later...

Would I be able to mount a optical (blu-ray) drive with SNAP? I ask because of this (very old) question and I haven't found anyone doing this yet.

I'm looking to install a blu ray drive in the unRAID server, running a script (similar to this), that rips the disc and saves directly to the server.

I'm not sure because I haven't tried it myself.  Currently I'm using this utility to rip DVD's from a Win7 machine.

You will see earlier in this thread I have been trying to get flash readers to work in unRAID.  The problem I'm running into is that if the partition (the flash chip) isn't in the reader when the reader is identified by unRAID then I can't get unRAID to detect the chips insertion.  If the flash chip is in the reader when it's identified by linux then the partition devic IS created.  So, what does that mean in real life?  It means that for portable readers the reader can be unplugged and the chip inserted and then plugged back in - the partition device will be created and can be mounted.  But for a stationary reader that is permanently mounted in the case:  the only way to get unRAID to detect the newly inserted chip would be to reboot so that the chip is in when linux detects the reader.

Ok, that's some background on readers in general.  Next comes CD/DVD drives.  It's kind of the same thing I suspect.  unRAID won't detect the insertion of the disc, but it might see the disc if it's in the player at bootup when the player is detected.  With that in mind, maybe a usb connected DVD player with the disc in would be detected when it's plugged in?  

The actual reason I started wanting to get usb readers to work in the first place is that when I connect my Android phone to unRAID (or any computer) the builtin flash drive isn't made available automatically for security reasons.  The user has to press a button on the phone to make the flash chip available for the computer to see.  That button isn't even available until the the usb connection is made.  So in this case there is no way to present the phone to unRAID as (USB reader + flash chip ) at the time unRAID detects the device.  

I guess this is not a very solid answer but I suspect that getting the answers to my udev questions that I have asked repeatedly on the forum but not been answered by the gurus may solve the removable media detection issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Application!  It really adds some extra utility to unRAID.

For completely clueless people like me, you may want to consider including a few things in the first post:

Must Format and Mount - can be done through unMENU - Disk Management

Scroll down to disk and select "Format to reiserfs"

then select mount as Read only / Writable

-- and --

Be sure you're at: root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# and not root@Tower:~#

to enter snap.sh -a [serialnumber] [sharename] and other snap.sh commands

Thanks!

I added this to the first post.

I don't understand this.  Disks don't have to be formatted to reiserfs.

I added this to the first post.

I don't understand this.  Disks don't have to be formatted to reiserfs.

My apologies if I was mistaken - I was having a few problems while I was setting this up. I pre-cleared my drive, just to see what kind of condition it was in(as I am sure many people will) - I realize this is not necessary.  After that I was having problems getting the config info until I formatted it - I was under the impression that the disk needed to have some kind of formatting on at least a portion of the drive. for SNAP to see it.

Once I got it added to SNAP, I did need to mount it through unmenu for Windows to see it.

I only mentioned these things because the process of setting up the drive in SNAP turned out to be extremely easy once I did everything correctly.

Thanks again for a wonderful addition to unRAID. Having this drive outside the unRAID array is accomplishing exactly what I wanted.

My apologies if I was mistaken - I was having a few problems while I was setting this up. I pre-cleared my drive, just to see what kind of condition it was in(as I am sure many people will) - I realize this is not necessary.  After that I was having problems getting the config info until I formatted it - I was under the impression that the disk needed to have some kind of formatting on at least a portion of the drive. for SNAP to see it.

Once I got it added to SNAP, I did need to mount it through unmenu for Windows to see it.

I only mentioned these things because the process of setting up the drive in SNAP turned out to be extremely easy once I did everything correctly.

I'd like to fully understand what you are saying so I can improve the documentation in the first post.  Yes, there needs to be a partition and it needs to have a filesystem on it for linux to create the device id which is used in SNAP.  Is that too vague in the instructions?  

My apologies if I was mistaken - I was having a few problems while I was setting this up. I pre-cleared my drive, just to see what kind of condition it was in(as I am sure many people will) - I realize this is not necessary.  After that I was having problems getting the config info until I formatted it - I was under the impression that the disk needed to have some kind of formatting on at least a portion of the drive. for SNAP to see it.

I'd like to fully understand what you are saying so I can improve the documentation in the first post.  Yes, there needs to be a partition and it needs to have a filesystem on it for linux to create the device id which is used in SNAP.  Is that too vague in the instructions?  

I have just re-read the first post a couple of times to be sure. That is not stated in the install instructions at all. In hindsight, I can understand why it is fairly obvious there needs to be a partition and file system but after pre-clearing the drive, I just followed your instructions to install SNAP and assign the drive without thinking about the state the drive was in and exactly what SNAP would do with the drive. Maybe I need to get more sleep instead of working on my server. :)

The first time you actually state that "there needs to be a partition and it needs to have a filesystem on it" is in Reply#27 to that thread, which is what helped me.

I think it might be helpful to some to include it under the install instructions section - maybe in the

"How to Assign drives to Snap:" section.

I am very happy with how SNAP is working out for Me! Thanks Again.

I have just re-read the first post a couple of times to be sure. That is not stated in the install instructions at all. In hindsight, I can understand why it is fairly obvious there needs to be a partition and file system but after pre-clearing the drive, I just followed your instructions to install SNAP and assign the drive without thinking about the state the drive was in and exactly what SNAP would do with the drive. Maybe I need to get more sleep instead of working on my server. :)

The first time you actually state that "there needs to be a partition and it needs to have a filesystem on it" is in Reply#27 to that thread, which is what helped me.

I think it might be helpful to some to include it under the install instructions section - maybe in the

"How to Assign drives to Snap:" section.

Very good suggestion.  I'll add that.  I appreciate your help.

Queeg,

I have been trying for hours to get my USB drive to be recognized by SNAP and mounted and keep gettings errors, could you please advise?

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -showusb

usb-Seagate_Portable_2GH5K8GV-0:0
usb-Seagate_Portable_2GH5K8GV-0:0-part1
usb-_USB_DISK_2.0_077C0DA3084E-0:0
usb-_USB_DISK_2.0_077C0DA3084E-0:0-part1

Ok so I try to add the Seagate Device

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -a Portable_2GH5K8GV exteral_music
root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -u
root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# ./snap.sh -listDeviceConfigurationInfo
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3794 /dev/sde /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDS721010KLA330_GTA000PAGL1KAA
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3563 /dev/sda /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3250620AS_5QE4XG0S
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3736 /dev/sdd /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EADS-00M2B0_WD-WCAV51029799
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3620 /dev/sdb /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2500AAKS-60L9A0_WD-WMAV24734556
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3852 /dev/sdf /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3000JS-60PDB0_WD-WCAPD1346078
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3910 /dev/sdg /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AACS-00ZUB0_WD-WCASU4243445
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3794 /dev/sde /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HDS7210_GTA000PAGL1KAA
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3563 /dev/sda /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3250620AS_5QE4XG0S
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3736 /dev/sdd /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD10EADS-00_WD-WCAV51029799
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3620 /dev/sdb /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500AAKS-_WD-WMAV24734556
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3852 /dev/sdf /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3000JS-60_WD-WCAPD1346078
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3910 /dev/sdg /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AACS-_WD-WCASU4243445
unRAID=No SNAP=No 11003 /dev/sdh /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Seagate_Portable_2GH5K8GV-0:0
unRAID=No SNAP=No 3680 /dev/sdc /dev/disk/by-id/usb-_USB_DISK_2.0_077C0DA3084E-0:0

I have also attached my log file for reference.

Sorry for some reason my files didn't attach.

When I try to mount the drive manually with snap.sh -m external_music I get the following error

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -m external_music
basename: missing operand
Try `basename --help' for more information.
Partition doesn't exist, cannot be mounted.

snap.log.txt

Queeg,

I have been trying for hours to get my USB drive to be recognized by SNAP and mounted and keep gettings errors, could you please advise?

unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3794 /dev/sde /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDS721010KLA330_GTA000PAGL1KAA
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3736 /dev/sdd /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EADS-00M2B0_WD-WCAV51029799
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3620 /dev/sdb /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2500AAKS-60L9A0_WD-WMAV24734556
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3852 /dev/sdf /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3000JS-60PDB0_WD-WCAPD1346078
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3910 /dev/sdg /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AACS-00ZUB0_WD-WCASU4243445
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3794 /dev/sde /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HDS7210_GTA000PAGL1KAA
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3736 /dev/sdd /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD10EADS-00_WD-WCAV51029799
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3620 /dev/sdb /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500AAKS-_WD-WMAV24734556
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3852 /dev/sdf /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD3000JS-60_WD-WCAPD1346078
unRAID=Yes SNAP=No 3910 /dev/sdg /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AACS-_WD-WCASU4243445
unRAID=No SNAP=No 11003 /dev/sdh /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Seagate_Portable_2GH5K8GV-0:0
unRAID=No SNAP=No 3680 /dev/sdc /dev/disk/by-id/usb-_USB_DISK_2.0_077C0DA3084E-0:0

Try this:

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -a Portable_2GH5K8GV-0:0 exteral_music

Queeg,

Try this:

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -a Portable_2GH5K8GV-0:0 exteral_music

Queeg,

Thanks that nworked! The only problem now is when i try to access the share it prompts me for a user name and password on Windows 7 and I would like it open to everyone?

The only problem now is when i try to access the share it prompts me for a user name and password on Windows 7 and I would like it open to everyone?

I'm using Win7 with no problems like that.  I think I have the install of SNAP create a user on unRAID used when sharing out that allows Win7 to connect correctly.  Try rebooting unRAID and see if that clears it up.  If not I'll try to remember. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just installing SNAP and there are a few gotchas with the install script.

First it didnt like a custom install location. It really should since there is a half accepted standard for location in unRAID that SNAP doesnt follow.

Even i SNAP wants to go its own way it should detect the bad location and stop and not do a half install.

root@TOWER:~# /boot/scripts/snap/snap.sh -install

/boot/scripts/snap/snap.sh: line 71: /boot/config/snap/snap.log: No such file or                                                                                                                                                              directory

----------

----------

Installing Snap...

Warning:  Snap must be placed in /boot/config/snap directory.

----------

Note:  Snap.sh will overwrite /boot/config/smb-extra.conf at boot time.

If you have custom samba settings in that file that you don't

want overwritten then you should copy that information

into /boot/config/snap/snap-global-template before booting with Snap.

----------

Warning:  /boot/config/snap/snapNotify.sh is missing.  Without it USB devices wi                                                                                                                                                            ll not be detected, mounted or shared.

----------

Warning: inotify-tools package is missing from /boot/config/snap directory.  Wit                                                                                                                                                            hout it USB devices will not be detected, mounted or shared.

----------

Warning: /boot/config/snap/snap-xdrive-template file is missing.  Drives cannot                                                                                                                                                              be shared without it.

----------

'Adding /boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b' to /boot/config/go file...

Snap did not install completely.  Please fix any warnings that were given and ru                                                                                                                                                            n install again.

Now if you try to install SNAP from the correct location it still fails.

root@TOWER:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -install

----------

----------

Installing Snap...

----------

Note:  Snap.sh will overwrite /boot/config/smb-extra.conf at boot time.

If you have custom samba settings in that file that you don't

want overwritten then you should copy that information

into /boot/config/snap/snap-global-template before booting with Snap.

----------

Copying /boot/config/snap/inotify-tools*.tgz to the /boot/packages/ directory...

cp: cannot create regular file `/boot/packages/': Is a directory

----------

'Adding /boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b' to /boot/config/go file...

Successful install!

Snap is installed and will run automatically when you boot this computer.

To start Snap you can reboot or you can start Snap manually by

typing this command '/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b' now.

root@SOLO:/boot/config/snap# mkdir /boot/packages

Now that it is installed it has overwritten my custom go file without taking a backup first (or perhaps the first failed install then the second real install overwrote the go~ backup. Either way i ended up with losing my go file:

root@TOWER:/boot/config/snap# cat /boot/config/go

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b

Definately a few gotchas that could do with being fixed.

Nice work though very interesting tool :)

Just installing SNAP and there are a few gotchas with the install script.

First it didnt like a custom install location. It really should since there is a half accepted standard for location in unRAID that SNAP doesnt follow.

Even i SNAP wants to go its own way it should detect the bad location and stop and not do a half install.

Definately a few gotchas that could do with being fixed.

Nice work though very interesting tool :)

Glad you like it. :)  However, if there were gotchas for you they were all self inflicted.  Why would you deviate from the written install instructions? 

I intentionally put SNAP in it's own folder.  This makes it very clear that it's not tangled up in unRAID specific code in any way.  It's simple to install and to uninstall.  In a way SNAP is less a part of unRAID than any other add-in so it's stand offishness from the half-accepted standards is kind of intentional.

snapEntry=`cat $BOOTCONFIG/go | grep "snap.sh"`

if [ -n "$snapEntry" ] && [ "$snapEntry" != '/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b' ]

then

echo "----------"

cat $BOOTCONFIG/go | grep -v "snap.sh" > $BOOTCONFIG/go.snap.temp

echo '/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b' >> $BOOTCONFIG/go.snap.temp

mv -b -f $BOOTCONFIG/go.snap.temp $BOOTCONFIG/go

else

echo "----------"

echo "'Adding /boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b' to $BOOTCONFIG/go file..."

echo '/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b' >> $BOOTCONFIG/go

fi