New Application: S. N. A. P.

This is 100% safe? and relatively easy to do?

There is ALWAYS some risk when you start un-plugging/plugging in hardware.  You could physically damage the drive, the connector, the cables, or electrically zap the electronics with a static discharge.   You can be careful and minimize the risk, but nothing will be 100% safe.  It is not terribly difficult.

Also i have used the hdd which is in the dune now, for system storage..

its formats the drive to 2 partitions in ext2/ext3 format

one for system storage, and for the data which i want to copy now.

unRAID can read ext2, and ext3 if mounted as ext2.   I don't know if SNAP can mount the ext2/3 partitions, but it probably can.  I do know they can be mounted using the disk-management page in unMENU.

You can probably as easily copy the data over the LAN. (and likely more safely) It will be slower, but perhaps not as much as you might think.

Joe L.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is 100% safe? and relatively easy to do?

There is ALWAYS some risk when you start un-plugging/plugging in hardware.  You could physically damage the drive, the connector, the cables, or electrically zap the electronics with a static discharge.   You can be careful and minimize the risk, but nothing will be 100% safe.  It is not terribly difficult.

Also i have used the hdd which is in the dune now, for system storage..

its formats the drive to 2 partitions in ext2/ext3 format

one for system storage, and for the data which i want to copy now.

unRAID can read ext2, and ext3 if mounted as ext2.   I don't know if SNAP can mount the ext2/3 partitions, but it probably can.  I do know they can be mounted using the disk-management age in unMENU.

You can probably as easily copy the data over the LAN. (and likely more safely) It will be slower, but perhaps not as much as you might think.

Joe L.

i tried copying over the network but its way too slow 2MB/sec

i think that's cause of the dune, cause i tried copying before and it was wayyyyy faster, thatswhy im looking for another method

if copy over network it takes 14 days! to copy the 2TB (thats a bit too long)

Another question i have regarding snap

the disk where the data is on (the one from the dune, also WD 20ears) has no jumper yet installed

can i put a jumper on it (so its ready once i copied the disk for the unraid array?) or do i wait

install snap, copy disk

then put the jumper on, then preclear... and add to the array

or is it safe to put the jumper on right away?

then go with snap to copy...

the disk where the data is on (the one from the dune, also WD 20ears) has no jumper yet installed

can i put a jumper on it (so its ready once i copied the disk for the unraid array?) or do i wait

install snap, copy disk

DO NOT add the jumper...  not until AFTER you've copies ALL the data off the disk... and perhaps not even then.

If you add the jumper now, all the files on the disk will be lost, un-readable, the disk partitions not recognized.

If you add the jumper later it is possible that you'll need to specifically overwrite the first 4k of the disk before it will be recognized by most of the utilities on linux.  There are more horror stories of problems after adding a jumper than just leaving the disk as it is.  You can search and decide for yourself.  The firmware on the disk does not like to have the setting changed after you have partitioned and formatted the disk.  It reacts by locking up and not responding to commands to read sector 0 (the MBR).

install snap, copy disk

DO NOT add the jumper...  not until AFTER you've copies ALL the data off the disk... and perhaps not even then.

If you add the jumper now, all the files on the disk will be lost, un-readable, the disk partitions not recognized.

If you add the jumper later it is possible that you'll need to specifically overwrite the first 4k of the disk before it will be recognized by most of the utilities on linux.  There are more horror stories of problems after adding a jumper than just leaving the disk as it is.   You can search and decide for yourself.   The firmware on the disk does not like to have the setting changed after you have partitioned and formatted the disk.  It reacts by locking up and not responding to commands to read sector 0 (the MBR).

phew glad i thought about it, i was about to install it, when it just crossed my mind...

i thought i read something about it

well, im not going to add the jumper however not even afterwards?

i installed jumpers on both other 2 new wd 20ears and have no problems at all...

to assign drives i need to 4. Assign the drive to Snap:  snap.sh -a [serialnumber] [sharename]

i ve looked at my list

snapkd.jpg

the one with the data has serial nr wmaza1502825

how come i see this device twice? (cause of the two partitions?) but then how come i see the others also twice(which has only one partition)?

another thing, before i added this device, sda was serial nr 2312119 ,sdb was 2325257 now i added 2325257 to the array (as you can see) but now that one is sdc? and the one i added is sdb

in short

so i type in

snap.sh -a [1502825] [?]

or

snap.sh -a [WMAZA1502825] [?]

to assign drives i need to 4. Assign the drive to Snap:   snap.sh -a [serialnumber] [sharename]

i ve looked at my list

how come i see this device twice? (cause of the two partitions?) but then how come i see the others also twice(which has only one partition)?

another thing, before i added this device, sda was serial nr 2312119 ,sdb was 2325257 now i added 2325257 to the array (as you can see) but now that one is sdc? and the one i added is sdb

in short

so i type in

snap.sh -a [1502825] [?]

or

Linux can create an ATA and/or SCSI name for the device...they are both the same thing.

Linux also can move the /dev/sd? device names around so that is why SNAP uses the /dev/disk/by-id device names because the serial id is unique and dependable.

SNAP will mount and share every partition on the disk that has a filesystem on it.  The first physical partition will be mounted as /mnt/disks/[sharename] and the next physical partiition will be mounted as /mnt/disks/[sharename]-part2 and so on.

to assign drives i need to 4. Assign the drive to Snap:   snap.sh -a [serialnumber] [sharename]

i ve looked at my list

in short

so i type in

snap.sh -a [1502825] [?]

or

Linux can create an ATA and/or SCSI name for the device...they are both the same thing.

Linux also can move the /dev/sd? device names around so that is why SNAP uses the /dev/disk/by-id device names because the serial id is unique and dependable.

so how should i dot it, cause im doing something wrong

i typed

snap.sh -a [1502825] [dune]

then took me to another line, so i thought it was ok

but when i type in root

cd /mnt/disk/dune he says it doenst exist

edit: i checked with the devicelist again, and it all says Snap: no

so it didnt work

i ve looked at my list

in short

so i type in

snap.sh -a [1502825] [?]

or

euh bit chinese for me, what do you mean by it?

Once i would succeeded you say:

4. Copy data from dune disk to the unRAID data disk.

There are a variety of ways to do this but the most effecient is to telnet into the unRAID server and run some copy command from the command line.

From the unRAID command line the dune disk will be located at:  /mnt/disk/[sharename]

and the unRAID arrays disks will be located at: /mnt/disk1 or /mnt/disk2 and so on 

and the unRAID array user shares are located at: /mnt/user/

say my disk has a folder named "films"

how do i copy all that and submaps to the disk

whats the command? im not much into linux yet,

is it the same copy command from dos?

i ve looked at my list

in short

so i type in

snap.sh -a [1502825] [?]

or

i think i understand what you mean..

the first line you mean i should call the device for example [ata-dune] or [scsi-dune]?

the second line is the answer to my question why dev/sda , sdb and sdc changed..

i ve looked at my list

in short

so i type in

snap.sh -a [1502825] [?]

or

i think i understand what you mean..

the first line you mean i should call the device for example [ata-dune] or [scsi-dune]?

the second line is the answer to my question why dev/sda , sdb and sdc changed..

Like snap.sh -a WMAZA1502825 dune

You don't include the ata or the scsi, SNAP will decide on which it wants to use.  

it doesnt work

its not getting in the devices list

i've typed

snap.sh -a WMAZA1502825 dune

snap.sh -a WMAZA1502825 ata-dune

snap.sh -a 1502825 dune

all dont work

and with the middle one he says entry already exists wmaza1502825=dune

although he doenst show up in the list

and if its normal i cant see it in the list (i dunno why, maybe i need to restart to show it up, i dunno), i still cant get it from the root with

cd /mnt/disk/dune

cd /mnt works

cd /mnt/disk not

cd /mnt/disk1 doest

Type these commands and post back what you see.  If you are telnet from windows you can right click on the command window and choose select all then press enter and all it's contents can be pasted into notepad.  Post back what you see from those files.

cat /boot/config/snap/snap.list

cat /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

Type these commands and post back what you see.  If you are telnet from windows you can right click on the command window and choose select all then press enter and all it's contents can be pasted into notepad.  Post back what you see from those files.

snapj.jpg

using cat /boot/config/snap/snap.list is see:

wmaza1502825=dune

1502825=dune

using cat /boot/config/smb-extra.conf i see:

do this:

snap.sh -r dune

snap.sh -r dune

snap.sh -a wmaza1502825 dune

Then check again to see if the drive shows up.  cd to /mnt/disk and type ls

using cat /boot/config/snap/snap.list is see:

wmaza1502825=dune

1502825=dune

using cat /boot/config/smb-extra.conf i see:

do this:

snap.sh -r dune

snap.sh -r dune

snap.sh -a wmaza1502825 dune

Then check again to see if the drive shows up.  cd to /mnt/disk and type ls

check with snap.sh -listDeviceConfigurationInfo (he doesnt show then) or cat /boot/config/snap/snap.list? (that one shows wmaza1502825=dune (only one now)

if i cd to /mnt/disk he says no such file or directory

Try this:

snap.sh -r dune

snap.sh -a WD-WMAZA1502825 dune

it says yes now :)

can you help me bit further so i can copy, cause i've been trying ages to do copy 2tb

I'm sorry I didn't notice the WD- as being part of the serial number earlier.  I don't use WD drives.  I'm going to add this to the first posting to help make this more visible.  Thanks for hanging in there with it.

How many partitions got mounted?  Do the cd /mnt/disk and ls.