24 bay NAS, but not all occupied

I just want to bring this up since I need advice and also a quick update...

So I attached 3 x 10 TB HDDs, 2 x Parity and 1 x Data. It took the system ~18 hours to build the parity drives. The filesystem on the data disk is the default xfs I think it is called. Is this okay for file storage?

I was checking youtube, and some reported that the writing speed could reach 30 MB/sec compared to 110 MB/sec for gbit ports, and they suggested to use cache drives. I do have a WD NAS appliance Raid 5, 4 x 8 TB HDDs, and I did not notice such reduction in performance when I write to the WD NAS, so why unraid allegedly suffers from slow writing speeds?

If I decided to purchase 2 x 1 TB SSD for cache, what is best attache them to the motherboard SATA ports, or to the raid controllers?

In an earlier post I did provide 2 screenshots of my raid controllers, would you please double check and tell me if everything is fine....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

the default xfs I think it is called. Is this okay for file storage?

Yep, this is the most common file system used in unRAID today for data drives.

45 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

they suggested to use cache drives

Write to the unRAID array involve 4 I/O operations so they're slower.  That said, 30MB/s would be pretty low - I'd expect much better than that with your modern, fast 10TB drives - 40-60MB/s.  You also can turn on turbo write for 75MB/s or better write speeds.  Finally you can cache writes to the array if you want.  It's a choice - I like my writes going directly to the parity protected array, personally.  That said, if you plan to run Dockers you *do* want to run them from the cache drive, it's the defacto application drive in unRAID.  It's worth putting SSDs on Sata3 ports.

43 minutes ago, tdallen said:

Yep, this is the most common file system used in unRAID today for data drives.

Write to the unRAID array involve 4 I/O operations so they're slower.  That said, 30MB/s would be pretty low - I'd expect much better than that with your modern, fast 10TB drives - 40-60MB/s.  You also can turn on turbo write for 75MB/s or better write speeds.  Finally you can cache writes to the array if you want.  It's a choice - I like my writes going directly to the parity protected array, personally.  That said, if you plan to run Dockers you *do* want to run them from the cache drive, it's the defacto application drive in unRAID.  It's worth putting SSDs on Sata3 ports.

Turbo speed, are there any side effects, if not why it is not default? Where is this setting?

*edit* in windows, I just mounted my unraid system and it gave me access to some system folders w/o asking me for any credentials. Why is that?

Edited by Mat1926
17 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

Turbo speed, are there any side effects

All drives are spun up for writes instead of only the drive being written to and the parity drive.

18 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

I just mounted my unraid system and it gave me access to some system folders w/o asking me for any credentials. Why is that?

Because the shares default to public. Go to the shares section and set according to your needs.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

All drives are spun up for writes instead of only the drive being written to and the parity drive.

Because the shares default to public. Go to the shares section and set according to your needs.

spinning all drives, does it affect the HDDs on the long run? Where is this setting?

regarding the shares, do you mean user shares? I see only appdata, domains, isos, and system...are these the ones?

3 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

spinning all drives, does it affect the HDDs on the long run? Where is this setting?

regarding the shares, do you mean user shares? I see only appdata, domains, isos, and system...are these the ones?

It's debatable, some think spinning down drives helps longevity, but I don't know of any hard data. Main issue is power consumption, and by extension, heat.

Settings, disk settings.

Whichever shares / folders you say you were given access to and want to deny.

3 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

It's debatable, some think spinning down drives helps longevity, but I don't know of any hard data. Main issue is power consumption, and by extension, heat.

Settings, disk settings.

Whichever shares / folders you say you were given access to and want to deny.

flash and its sub folders are not available in the shares settings. what is available are only appdata, domains, isos, and system... 

You dont need to spin all drives up for better performacne. Unraid does this when it needs to HDDs from itself. Why should they run when they not needed? It just costs 1 sec to spin up a drive if its needed. Also please go thru every setting, its not much, so you know where everything is.

Unraid is the best thing on earth, so take some time and go thru every setting you can even click them and see descriped what it does.

(i hope you have the latest 6.4 unraid) - i would strongly suggest it. Much comfort like internal SSH.

Edited by nuhll
Just now, nuhll said:

You dont need to spin all drives up for better performacne. Unraid does this when it needs to HDDs from itself. Why should they run when they not needed? It just costs 1 sec to spin up a drive if its needed.

You are WRONG! w/o adjusting that setting my transfer speed was 60 MB/sec, now it is @ 110 MB/sec....

1 minute ago, nuhll said:

Also please go thru every setting, its not much, so you know where everything is.

Oh really! So you think this is "Tunable (md_write_method):" obvious to new users!!!!!

How the hell should spinning up not needed drives (there is no transfer) speed up the process? 

"Oh really! So you think this is "Tunable (md_write_method):" obvious to new users!!!!!"

just use a cache drive like most ppl do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for tryin to helping you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by nuhll
Just now, nuhll said:

How the hell should spinning up not needed drives (there is no transfer) speed up the process? 

"Oh really! So you think this is "Tunable (md_write_method):" obvious to new users!!!!!"

just use a cache drive like most ppl do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for helping you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just stop please....

Yes, you are.

Shouting at someone who wants to help you.

But since your such a nice guy i explain again:

spinning up drives useless is not helping in trasfer speed (tahts what i said)

turbo mode is not faster because it spins all up, its faster because it doesnt calculate the difference in parity.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/50397-turbo-write/

Edited by nuhll
On 1/5/2018 at 10:53 PM, tdallen said:

You also can turn on turbo write for 75MB/s or better write speeds.

Others said the same to me , but I don't have the time to quote them all here, and please keep your way of thinking to yourself...New users prefer to get advice from people that know what they are talking about...

LOL! You edited your post!!!!

Original post

nuhll said:

Yes, youa re.

Just for the cents:

"The upside is it can be much faster.  The downside is that ALL of the array drives must be spinning, because they ALL are involved in EVERY write.

So what are the ramifications of this?

* For some operations, like parity checks and parity builds and drive rebuilds, it doesn't matter, because all of the drives are spinning anyway."

But seems liek u know it all11111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mat1926

LOL! YES! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it change anythign? NO! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since ure finished with parity the parity sentence didnt make sense, so i edited it. 

I just wanted to tell you that spinning up all drives wont affect speed atall, i didnt said, dont use turbo mode.

As long as u initially filling the array the turbo mode is a good way. But afterwards you should disable it.

Why are you so aggro, ppl try to help you here for free. wtf!

Edited by nuhll

nuhll said:

LOL! YES! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it change anythign? NO! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since ure finished with parity the parity sentence didnt make sense, so i edited it. 

I just wanted to tell you that spinning up all drives wont affect speed atall, i didnt said, dont use turbo mode.

As long as u initially filling the array the turbo mode is a good way. But afterwards you should disable it.

Just trying to keep the original posts intact!

I did not ask for your help, I wanted help from other knowledgeable users. And guess what, they did days ago and we moved on with our business. Then you came here trashing their suggestions and called me crazy for not agreeing with you!!! So...

6 hours ago, Mat1926 said:

Others said the same to me , but I don't have the time to quote them all here, and please keep your way of thinking to yourself...New users prefer to get advice from people that know what they are talking about...

Hmm?  I'm not sure why my suggestion to turn on Turbo Write seemed to merit that kind of response.  Turbo write is very effective solution and I've done extensive personal benchmarking on it.  It's a good (though not perfect) solution for any user - including new users.