4 Gamers 1 CPU

A pci-e 1x to 16x riser would work but the performance gaming would likely stink. Even a board with 4 pci-e x4 slots when fully populated would work better, I know the pci-e lanes for a 7700 are 16 total. Also how many vm cores are you planning per host? The 7700 is only a quad core 8 thread, with keeping in mind 1 or 2 cores (core 0 and possibly 1) being kept isolated for unraid OS.

Think you may need to refigure the config a bit if you want decent performance. 

• Like 1
On 12/19/2017 at 3:37 AM, dw1nsk said:

I'm planning to build 4 gamers 1 cpu (for internet cafe) Gigabyte GA-H110-D3A, intel core i7 7700

Hello and welcome.

Sorry to get negative right away, but think that through a little. Would you build a modern gaming PC with a single core CPU or run the video card in an x4 slot?  Virtualization doesn’t perform miracles, it just allows you allocate the hardware you have in new ways.  The 7700 is a 4 core CPU with 16 PCIe lanes, so divide those by 4.  Maybe if the gamers were playing Solitaire... 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 12:37 AM, dw1nsk said:

using pcie 1x to 16x riser cable.

Queue the South Park ski instructor, "You're going to have a bad time." Those 1x to 16x are generally useful to just the cryto miners because they don't have that much data to pass to GPU, and therefore don't need all the bandwidth in a 16x bus. Personally I would look for a motherboard that has x16 slots which will fit all the cards, or if space is impossibility a 16x to 16x pass-thru to keep performance but able to move the physical bits would be a better idea.

On 12/22/2017 at 1:27 AM, Fireball3 said:

For multi-core capable games a Ryzen 1800x would also be a viable option.

Problem with this is that Ryzen seems to have a number of issues with C-power states, check the forums you'll see lots of heads bashing against the desk on these currently (could always change, but for now I would recommend holding on buying Ryzen).  Threadripper could be an option but again, this has been hit or miss depending on the board you get and the bios revision  -- as for working TR boards, I can tell you from personal xp, ASUS PRIME X399-A is working on "Ugly patch." 

If you're set on 4-gaming virtual rigs I would stay away from the Intel core-K processors; mainly because you're going to run out of PCIe bus with four graphics cards -- okay this will be true for 6,7, and 8 series; I'd have to go back to Intel Ark page to remember where the Core CPUS have the non-nerfed number of PCIe channels.

My 2-cents

Edited by Jcloud
  • Upvote 1

You're not going to get anywhere with a H110 board.  They're designed for running Microsoft Outlook in an office PC, they're pretty much gimped for anything useful.  H170 would be the lowest you should consider.

However, if you want anything resembling decent gaming performance, then you need to be looking at with an i7-6850K on X99 or a i7-7800X on X299, or perhaps an AMD Threadripper.  That way you get a board and CPU and has enough PCI-E lanes to feed 4 GPUs.

Anything less than that, you're wasting your time and money.

6 hours ago, HellDiverUK said:

That way you get a board and CPU and has enough PCI-E lanes to feed 4 GPUs.

I had same line of thoughts. With the Third gen K series core (3930K) had 36 lanes? Then at some point Intel dropped the number of lanes in their CPUs (to 24) to reduce cost and because there wasn't high demand for Crossfire and SLI.  Again I forget where all the cut-offs, specifics, and changes were made so this makes for handy resource for researching Intel's stuff: Intel Ark Page