Unraid Host Audio (Solved)

Josh208

This may already be answered, but any search of Unraid Audio brings hundreds of results relating to pass-through of audio devices which is not what I'm seeking. That said, I'm hoping that audio can be enabled on the UnRaid host itself as I use the GUI/Apache Guacamole to a VM as an occasional desktop in my workshop and would like audio support. As my mobo lacks AMD-Vi  support, device  pass-through is not an option (short of adding a USB audio device which will be my last resort). I do notice that VM options include a section to map a soundcard which gives some hope, but alas none is listed.

Being fairly new to UnRaid, I'm not even sure if it should simply work and I'm having a compatibility issue (SBx00 Azalia / Intel HDA) or if UnRaid simply lacks built in audio support. Any tips would be helpful.

Edited by Josh208
This.
I don't think there is any easy way to enable it, as the entire audio support is missing from the kernel to save space. Since unraid runs in RAM, only the bare needs to run a NAS are included.
Thanks for the answer... USB audio it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Josh208 said:

Thanks for the answer... USB audio it is.

I don't see how a USB sound card will need the answer. You still need the drivers enabled. 

If you want to pass it through to a VM, it will most likely doesn't work well enough. For a USB audio device to work properly you need to pass through a USB controller, but not an option for you. 

• Upvote 1

If you want to pass it through to a VM, it will most likely doesn't work well enough. For a USB audio device to work properly you need to pass through a USB controller, but not an option for you. 

I suspect pass through of a USB audio device will work fine. I've played around with a USB 2.0 VGA adapter and it works as well as it does on bare metal. I'll update in a few days.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...