We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Parity 2 added, more free space in the array now [SOLVED]

thegizzard

8 minutes ago, thegizzard said:

I am sure this is a simple question.  I just added Parity 2 for the first time.  It added about 4 TB of space to my array.  With the new config I now have 2 8TB parity disks.  Can someone explain why free space was added with my second Parity disk?

Not possible. You must be misinterpreting something.

This is the sort of question whose answer is obvious if you understand how parity works. Lots of things about unRAID make more sense if you understand parity. It's not complicated. Here is the wiki: https://lime-technology.com/wiki/UnRAID_6/Overview#Parity-Protected_Array

Hopefully you haven't done something like accidentally formatting a data disk. That would certainly increase available space.

You said "new config". You didn't actually New Config did you? Adding parity2 is just stop array, select disk for parity2, start array to sync parity2. Should take quite a few hours to sync 8TB.

Correct. I did not do a new config. All I did was add a new parity disk parity 2. I stop the array, and then I assigned the new disc to parity too. I thought I had a good understanding of how parity works when I have a single parity disk. I have not done any investigation on how parity to affects the size of the array. I assume that what is happening is exactly what should be happening. It does not look like an error. I am simply surprised that the size of the array increased by adding a parity disc. In the past, I do not remember increasing the size of the parity disk changing the amount of available free space in the array. I expect that what is happening is something that I simply do not understand but is all good. When I get back home I can show you a picture of the before and after configuration. Like I said it seems that half the size of the new disc was added to the amount of available free space in the array. It seems like the second parity disk allowed less of the data disks to be used for parity. Or something like that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Adding 2nd parity will not result in more data space in the array.

Do you have a before and after? Or even post a screenshot and highlight the number you are looking at to compare?

Three possibilities if truly the array is reporting more space. Bug in the UI, misinterpretation of the number, or a mistake that deleted data.

Parity2 works basically the same as parity, just a little different calculation. Each parity bit corresponds to a bit on each of the data disks.

Simply not possible for a change to the number or size of parity disks to increase available data space as we said. Size of parity disks are not included in total size of array. I have 2x6TB parity, 4x6TB +1x4TB data = 28TB total array size. 4x6 + 1x4 = 28

Ok.  My apologies.  It seems I have made so many changes recently that I lost track of how much space there was available in my array.  It looks like I simply confused the amount of free space I had on the new disk 7, with the total space available in the array.  See the history attached.

20180204 - Config Explain.jpg

• thegizzard changed the title to Parity 2 added, more free space in the array now [SOLVED]

Archived