We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

One By One Disks Are Reporting Smart Errors

mbc0

Hi,

Since yesterday one by one 5 of my disks have been reporting UDMA CRC error count smart errors.  I have shut down the server and reconnected all drive connectors & reseated my SAS controller also.  The only thing I did yesterday before I noticed these errors was change the DVB Edition OS a few times whilst investigating a now resolved DVB Card detection issue.  I cannot say for certain these errors were there before installation of the new OS or not.

The disks reporting issues are a mixture of very new and old disks and I have attached a screenshot and my smart reports, if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it!

Many Thanks

UNRAID SMART ERRORS 1.JPG

unraidserver-smart-20180208-1017 (1).zip

unraidserver-smart-20180208-1017.zip

unraidserver-smart-20180208-1016 (2).zip

unraidserver-smart-20180208-1016 (1).zip

unraidserver-smart-20180208-1016.zip

unraidserver-smart-20180208-1014.zip

unraidserver-diagnostics-20180208-1026.zip

You can acknowledge and ignore any initial CRC error warnings, this attribute is cumulative and never resets, any future warnings should be acted upon, these errors are usually fixed by replacing the SATA cable, though if you get a single error once in a blue moon it can also be ignored.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

You can acknowledge and ignore if they get an initial CRC error warning, this attribute is cumulative and never resets, any future warnings should be acted upon, these errors are usually fixed by replacing the SATA cable, though if you get a single error once in a blue moon it can also be ignored.

Hi,

I have done that, so my Dash is no longer reporting this, the errors will stay showing on the smart report for this disks for life now though yes?

2 hours ago, mbc0 said:

I cannot say for certain these errors were there before installation of the new OS or not.

They probably were but were not reported in the dashboard. The latest update started reporting them. They may be old errors but as long as they don't increase they won't be reported again after being acknowledged.

I think it would have been better if unRAID had secretly captured a "watermark" for all drives and not notified people about the CRC counters until the first time unRAID saw a drive actually increment a counter. It would have saved lots of questions from people updating - or people that at a later time adds an older drive that has already accumulated a number of transfer errors.

3 minutes ago, pwm said:

I think it would have been better if unRAID had secretly captured a "watermark" for all drives and not notified people about the CRC counters until the first time unRAID saw a drive actually increment a counter. It would have saved lots of questions from people updating - or people that at a later time adds an older drive that has already accumulated a number of transfer errors.

That option was talked about, unfortunately it would not be easy to implement without major work for @bonienl, so between having no CRC warnings or leaving that attribute monitoring it disabled by default, I think it's best to just answer the repeat questions but have it enable for all users.

Archived