We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Getting rid of duplicate directories? [SOLVED]

IamSpartacus

In the process of migrating my dockers over from Linux Ubuntu to UnRAID, I mistakenly created duplicated directories inside my shares when one of my dockers (emby) started up.  My libraries in Emby were set to /media/movies, /media/tv, but my shares in UnRAID are actually /Media/Movies, /Media/TV.  So when Emby started, it created lower case directories in addition to the upper case directories so that I have now movies, Movies, music, Music, tv, Tv, etc. 

How can I remove these duplicate directories?  When I actually go into both music and Music, the same data appears in both so simply deleting the directory is not an option.

8 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

/mnt/user/ = array disks and cache disk

/mnt/user0/ = array disks

If they're not there in MC, I'm guessing Windows is just caching them.  Cos if they're not appearing in MC they're not there on your native filesystem.

Tried restarting Windows?

Yup.  Even turned on a windows machine that was off when this happened, they still show up.  I'll have to try stopping and restarting the array but it'll be some time before I can test that.

Windows and SMB are not case sensitive. So when you have a user share named 'Media' and another user share named 'media', Windows will only show one of them.

First thing, fix your dockers so they are using the one you want to keep.

Rename the other user share by appending a '1' or something to the end of the name.

Then, you will be able to see both from Windows and do whatever needs to be done.

After you have emptied a user share of all files and folders, you can delete it from the webUI.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Windows and SMB are not case sensitive. So when you have a user share named 'Media' and another user share named 'media', Windows will only show one of them.

First thing, fix your dockers so they are using the one you want to keep.

Rename the other user share by appending a '1' or something to the end of the name.

Then, you will be able to see both from Windows and do whatever needs to be done.

After you have emptied a user share of all files and folders, you can delete it from the webUI.

I fixed the docker as soon as I saw the issue.  That has been cleared up.  The issue is windows Does see the duplicate directories but unRAID doesn't.  And when I browse through both sets of directories in Windows, it's the same data. 

1 hour ago, IamSpartacus said:

I fixed the docker as soon as I saw the issue.  That has been cleared up.  The issue is windows Does see the duplicate directories but unRAID doesn't.  And when I browse through both sets of directories in Windows, it's the same data. 

Can you give us some screenshots showing what you mean?

The usual problem that people are dealing with is exactly as I described, Windows only shows one of the shares but unRAID has both. And I don't see how Windows can show both if they are the same name except for upper/lower case.

I would like to see something that shows where Windows is showing 2 shares (same name except for upper/lower case) but unRAID only has one of them.

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

The usual problem that people are dealing with is exactly as I described, Windows only shows one of the shares but unRAID has both. And I don't see how Windows can show both if they are the same name except for upper/lower case.

I would like to see something that shows where Windows is showing 2 shares (same name except for upper/lower case) but unRAID only has one of them.

I think I might know the answer.

The absolute file path has gone from Unraid.  But it created smb shares for those root paths when they were first created.  So Windows is still seeing both, and when accessing either of those smb shares, is going to the same place?

@IamSpartacus In the shares tab, do you have two shares for Media/media?

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

2 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I think I might know the answer.

The absolute file path has gone from Unraid.  But it created smb shares for those root paths when they were first created.  So Windows is still seeing both, and when accessing either of those smb shares, is going to the same place?

@IamSpartacus In the shares tab, do you have two shares for Media/media?

This is what Windows looks like under my "Media" share.

Lu2WFoh.jpg

And this is what my shares looks like in UnRAID.

OQkgrSe.jpg

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

From that User Shares page that you showed us, you should be able to click on the folder icon at the far right in the View column and go into the 'Media' share and give us a screenshot of its contents.

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

or browse to /mnt/user/Media with mc for example

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Just noticed that you are mapping a drive to the share. What happens if you unmap then remap it?

I never find it necessary to map drives since most applications can browse the network, and even when they can't you can often type the network path to direct them there anyway.

Ah yes, now I see.  In both MC and in the WebGUI I see them.  The folders in question reside only on cache.  And now I see that only metadata resides in the folders.  So clearly what happened is Emby started to populate those folders with metadata since it wasn't mapped to the proper folders that already had the metadata.  I'm safe to delete these from cache as well as the root folders and I should be good.

5wZXPp0.jpg

EDIT:  Yup that fixed it.

Thanks for talking me through it @trurl @CHBMB and @johnnie.black.  So simple in the end.

Archived