[SOLVED]Cannot Connect to Unraid when adding more then 10 drives

bloodlust

I'm having issues with connecting to the Unraid UI after adding more drives then 10.  I own a pro key for starters and my setup consists of (1) Parity drive and (10) Media drives.  I've been attempting to add an 11th drive to my configuration and all attempts have failed to this point.  I know it's NOT the drive itself as I've tried three different drives of various sizes all of which have been tested and verified good using an HD scan tool.  Plus I have pulled out an existing drive within my configuration and it will recongnize the new drive that I've been trying to install as the 11th previously.  I'm not sure what the issue is.  When the 11th drive is added the server seems to boot up just fine, However when attempting to access the GUI from my windows browser it says the ip can't be reached.  If I shut the server down and remove the 11th drive I can access the GUI without issues.  Can someone please give some suggestions as to what's going on here?

Thanks

2 hours ago, bloodlust said:

When the 11th drive is added the server seems to boot up just fine

How do you know?  Your problem seems awfully similar to how some BIOS's react when they exceed the number of bootable devices present.  What appears if you attach a monitor to the system?

If this is a BIOS boot order thing, then you can usually get around it by disabling INT13h on any addon controllers you may have.

Your correct, It's only my assumption regarding the boot up.  I'm currently in the process of a drive rebuild and parity check with another drive I upsized.  Once that is complete I will take the server down and re-add the 11th data drive and boot up with a monitor attached and see what it displays.  Here is what my server is using if this helps any.

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Professional LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 54W BX80646I34130 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400

Controller Card: SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS 8-Port Controller Card

I have (8) HDD's connected to the controller card and (3) HDD's connected to the SATA ports of the motherboard.  The 11th data drive I've attempted to hook up to the additional MB Sata ports, I've tried everyone of them so I know at least the port is not bad as they all do this.

23 hours ago, Squid said:

How do you know?  Your problem seems awfully similar to how some BIOS's react when they exceed the number of bootable devices present.  What appears if you attach a monitor to the system?

If this is a BIOS boot order thing, then you can usually get around it by disabling INT13h on any addon controllers you may have.

Okay, I hooked up a monitor and re-booted the system after installing the additional HDD.  It says the following: "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in sleected Boot device and press a key."  Does this provide any additional help with what might be going on here?

Thanks

23 hours ago, Squid said:

usually get around it by disabling INT13h on any addon controllers you may have.

I found out how to where this was and disabled it like you said.  That seems to have fixed the issue as it now boots, show the webgui and also now shows the additional hard drive.  Thank you for the help.

Archived