Parity Disk In Error State Question

emo_boy

Solved. I checked the connections and restarted, everything is good after the parity check.

I should have thought to just check the connections first. It seems like every time I boot up, one of the four drives (it's not always the same one) on the controller SATA card I have isn't found when Unraid starts. So I always have to power down, and double check all the connections and boot back up. After 2 or 3 tries, the drive shows up and everything works fine.

But I've never had a problem like this, with a drive off the controller and causing an issue that's not at first boot. I guess it may be time to look at upgrading some of the equipment like the motherboard.

On 3/12/2018 at 5:57 PM, johnnie.black said:

I would start by upgrading the HBA to an LSI.

So I began to do some research on different HBA's, given your suggestion of updating my current  SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 to an LSI (I'm considering an  LSI SAS9211-8I).

Anyways, I wanted to go through some troubleshooting on the MV8 first. So I plugged it into a different PCI-e slot (made sure it was snug), used the other port on the controller card (it has 2) and disabled int13. However, when I booted back up, same symptoms occurred (my parity drive and a drive plugged into the controller card) weren't detected nor assigned when Unraid started. I made sure to get a diagnostics report, see attached. When I rebooted the server once more, everything worked just fine.

Not sure what the issue is. Typically, once it finally boots up clean everything runs fine until I need to reboot again. But it's definitely annoying to have to reboot 5+ times after every update, etc. Any thoughts?

tower-diagnostics-20180313-1747.zip

It hasn't always been this way. I've ran Unraid with this machine for 5 years. But it's been like this for a while, I'd say for the past 6 months to a year it's been acting up after a reboot.

It almost always takes 2-5 reboots before the drives all come back properly for Unraid.

7 hours ago, emo_boy said:

It hasn't always been this way. I've ran Unraid with this machine for 5 years. But it's been like this for a while, I'd say for the past 6 months to a year it's been acting up after a reboot.

It almost always takes 2-5 reboots before the drives all come back properly for Unraid.

As @johnnie.black says, the controller is a good suspect.  But if drives are missing after a power up from off, but are less often missing after a reboot then it would be worth seeing if you can check the power supply (maybe a temporay swap from another machine?).  Power supplies do age, and over time can loose their capacity to provide the higher currents needed at start up.   

5 hours ago, S80_UK said:

As @johnnie.black says, the controller is a good suspect.  But if drives are missing after a power up from off, but are less often missing after a reboot then it would be worth seeing if you can check the power supply (maybe a temporay swap from another machine?).  Power supplies do age, and over time can loose their capacity to provide the higher currents needed at start up.   

Yeah, I was wondering if it was the power supply since now some drives (such as the Parity) are starting to not show up after the first reboot that aren't on the controller card.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare power supply at the moment, so I'll need to decide which to buy and try first (a new HBA or power supply).

Archived