Cannot remove orphaned images. No such image.

bobbintb

I have two docker images that are orphaned that I cannot remove. I try to remove them and it acts like it was removed but it's still there. If I try to remove it again, it says "no such image". I try to reinstall the docker that is associated with the orphaned image but the docker doesn't show up on the docker page after a successful install. I try to remove the orphaned docker image again and it says there is a conflict with an existing docker, the one I just installed that doesn't show up. Not quit sure how to handle this. I tried disabling docker and deleting the docker img file but it didn't work. Any ideas?

So, I checked back on the server after work and the orphaned images are no longer there. Weird...
I don't think the server restarted. I don't know why it would have. So I went to install the docker. It installed fine but the icon doesn't show up on the docker page. I search by word as well, just to be sure. I went to the CA page to search for the docker, clicked edit and looked at the "show exposed host ports" to get the port. I could access the webui. I disabled docker from the settings page and reboot. The icon is still not there. I cannot access the webui either, presumably because it was not set to autostart. But I can still get to the edit page through the CA tab, which is only there is it is an installed docker.

It should be worth noting I installed 6.5.0 immediately prior to these issues and that I am also having a strange issue with the VM page as well.

7 minutes ago, bobbintb said:

I disabled docker from the settings page and reboot. The icon is still not there. I cannot access the webui either, presumably because it was not set to autostart. But I can still get to the edit page through the CA tab, which is only there is it is an installed docker.

I wanted you to disable docker in settings, reboot, and then delete the docker image.

It sounds like you disabled docker, rebooted, and then you could still Edit the installed container even though you never re-enabled docker.  CA wouldn't have even shown it to you as installed if the docker service was disabled.  It appears at first glance (maybe toss up your diagnostics) that your flash drive and/or your cache drive / docker image are having some issues.

I guess I wasn't clear. I was about to disable docker in settings, but first I went to check the docker tab and the orphaned images had mysteriously vanished. Thinking the problem had resolved itself. I tried to install the docker again. It installed fine but the icon wasn't on the docker page. Well, maybe it didn't resolved itself. So that's when I disabled docker, rebooted, and enabled docker, thinking the orphaned images might come back. They didn't and the icon still was gone. That's when I went to CA to look at things.

I already tried deleting the docker image a few times and that didn't help. I don't see anything in the SMART report in regards to the cache drive. I suppose it could be the flash drive, it's pretty old. But I've had a flash drive go out once on me and it was completely unreadable. I'm not sure this is characteristic of that but maybe. I might try downgrading because I've also got an issue with the VM icon not changing on the VM tab but it does on the dashboard tab. The release notes say several UI improvements, especially in the VM and Docker Managers were made in this update, so I'm wondering if these are bugs since I'm experiencing weird things in both of those areas immediately after reboot from an upgrade.

edit: I also just noticed, the icon DOES show on the dashboard page but not on the docker page, which further leads me to believe this is a bug.

4 minutes ago, bobbintb said:

orphaned images had mysteriously vanished

Orphan images will only show when in Advanced View in the top right.

And zero chance they will disappear by themselves unless you reinstall the application.

5 minutes ago, bobbintb said:

I already tried deleting the docker image a few times and that didn't help

If the system successfully deleted the docker image, zero chance that the orphan would still be there (or any app) would still be there when you go back to the docker page without reinstalling the app (which is what your OP implied).  Hence my disable, reboot, delete instructions which will 100% get rid of the image so long as there isn't an underlying problem on the cache drive.

Now, if when reinstalling the app and the docker run command returns an error that happens after the download is complete, then there's a 100% chance of an orphaned image happening.  This happens when the template you're using contains an error.  The error will state what is wrong with your template.

10 minutes ago, bobbintb said:

edit: I also just noticed, the icon DOES show on the dashboard page but not on the docker page, which further leads me to believe this is a bug

No idea about this, as I have no problems with this.

Maybe I'm just reading too much between the lines on your posts and over thinking the whole thing  

I did check to make sure the advanced tab was checked. The reason I got the orphaned image in the first place was because of a failed docker install. When I went to remove it, I noticed there was a previous one from another image that I never removed. That's when I became unable to remove them both.

I don't know. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I am pretty confident I deleted the docker image (well, disabled docker and renamed the img file) and all the docker apps and orphaned files were still showing up on the docker page. I specifically recall thinking that shouldn't happen. I restored the img by renaming back after that.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that it is a bug with the new version and the way it displays things on the docker (and VM) page. Had I checked the dashboard after I renamed the img file, I'd bet I would have seen no docker images. I'm thinking that things are actually working as they should behind the scenes but the page is not accurately reflecting things. I even tried removing the orphaned images via CLI and it said they were not there. The did not show in the CLI list of images either, yet the page showed them. It seems like the docker page is always displaying one step behind the current state of things. I think the orphaned images mysteriously disappearing was the page eventually catching up and displaying things correctly after the orphaned images had actually been removed for quite some time.

edit: additionally, my other issue with the VM page, I just changed my VM to use VNC instead of the video card. The VM on the VM page does not show the "VM Remote" option when you click on it, but it does if I click on it from the dashboard. It seems the VM page is one step behind as well. I'm downgrading to the previous version and if everything is back to normal, I'm reporting this as a bug. Otherwise I'll start looking at hardware.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:39 AM, bobbintb said:

I have two docker images that are orphaned that I cannot remove

Do you mean there is no "remove" option in the dropdown menu in the GUI when you click on the icon?

On 3/15/2018 at 7:39 AM, bobbintb said:

I try to remove them and it acts like it was removed but it's still there.

You removed the orphan image using GUI or CLI?

16 hours ago, bobbintb said:

I also just noticed, the icon DOES show on the dashboard page but not on the docker page,

Do mean the icon is represented as a "?" in a grey circle and not the actual icon? This happens when there are internet connection problems.

I did make some updates when deleting images / containers, which should keep the GUI in sync. Since I don't have orphaned images it is hard to tell what exactly happened.

15 hours ago, bobbintb said:

I just changed my VM to use VNC instead of the video card. The VM on the VM page does not show the "VM Remote" option when you click on it, but it does if I click on it from the dashboard.

This is working fine for me. I can change between VNC and video card (while stopping and starting the VM) and the "VNC Remote" option is always there.

If you can generate this persistently, what are your exact steps to get to the issue?

42 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Do you mean there is no "remove" option in the dropdown menu in the GUI when you click on the icon?

I meant I remove it and it doesn't go away. I try to remove it again and it says the image doesn't exist

You removed the orphan image using GUI or CLI?

Both. Either way, the GUI still shows the orphan image icon.

Do mean the icon is represented as a "?" in a grey circle and not the actual icon? This happens when there are internet connection problems.

I did make some updates when deleting images / containers, which should keep the GUI in sync. Since I don't have orphaned images it is hard to tell what exactly happened.

After the orphaned image icon issue mysteriously started working again, I tried installing the docker image again through CA. It installed fine but there was absolutely no icon for it on the docker page. I even tried ctrl+f to search for it by name just in case my eyes were playing tricks on me. It wasn't there. But the icon showed just fine on the dashboard.

I'd have to upgrade again to do it and I've got some processes running that can take a few days. Basically the only thing I did was upgrade to 6.5.0. It seemed really illogical and confusing at first until I understood what was happening. Essentially, after the upgrade the docker and VM pages just started displaying out of date information. I think it would only ever display the state it was in at boot up. I'd install a docker and it would not show up. I'd remove that orphaned image, verified with docker CLI, and it would still be in the GUI. I have a VM that runs on startup. The VM page and dashboard page would show the VM running. If I stopped the VM in the dashboard, the green triangle would spin and change to a red square. I'd check the VM page, still a green triangle. If I stopped the VM from the VM page, the green triangle would spin and stay a green triangle. I'd check the dashboard and it's a red square. Go back to the VM page, still a green triangle. I'd try to stop it again from the VM page and it would say it is already stopped. With the VNC, the option to view the remote VNC showed up on the dashboard after I enabled VNC in the VM but it never showed up on the VM page. Those orphaned images were deleted the first time I deleted them, but the icons never went away and I kept unknowingly reinstalling and deleting the docker because the page never updated the view. It only kept showing the orphaned image that I had already deleted. Any change to the states of dockers and VMs are correctly reflected in the dashboard, but the VM and docker pages never update the view to reflect the state. Or rather it seems likely that they do after some undetermined extended period of time, which I think accounts for the orphaned image icons mysteriously disappearing the next day. I was upgrading right before bed. The orphaned images I tried deleting the night before, were suddenly gone when I checked on it after work. This is because the page eventually started showing the correct information for some reason.

Archived