Access my unRaid tower externally?

Yes.

When you are remote and enable a connection to your OpenVPN server, all your device’s network traffic will be directed via the OpenVPN server and the device will be allocated an IP address on your home network.

Therefore your device will behave as if was connected directly to your home network with its own IP address.

Yes.

When you are remote and enable a connection to your OpenVPN server, all your device’s network traffic will be directed via the OpenVPN server and the device will be allocated an IP address on your home network.

Therefore your device will behave as if was connected directly to your home network with its own IP address.

So ... to summarise, run 1 openvpn-as, run no-ip docker, do NOT code any dyn dns at router level, port forward to just the 1 server running openvpn-as, yes?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

So ... to summarise, run 1 openvpn-as, run no-ip docker, do NOT code any dyn dns at router level, port forward to just the 1 server running openvpn-as, yes? 

Just jumped back In after traveling.

No-IP docker and DDNS at router level are redundant. You need one or the other but not both. Their purpose is simply to keep external router IP address updated with the No-IP domain name. They have nothing to do directly with providing VPN access to home network (other than facilitating VPN connection via No-IP domain name).

My example of having two VPN profiles on my laptop for two different servers may have led you to believe this was necessary for each server. It is not if they are in the same LAN, but, I have a specific reason for accessing each directly even though once into my home network via any server I can access the other. They used to be on separate networks.

I think you may have all of this figured out now; however, keep asking if you have questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 hours ago, superloopy1 said:

Still not getting this, sorry. I have 3 unraid servers, openvpn-as is running as a docker on one only. Are you saying that i'll be able to manage all three servers, theyre obviously not connected other than being on the same lan, from just this one instance?

Yes - simply enter the address of the one you want to use.    As long as they are all on the same LAN this should work fine.

Yes - simply enter the address of the one you want to use.    As long as they are all on the same LAN this should work fine.
Thanks to all. I 'think' i have it sorted now. Bit confusing about whether or not to add domain/dns to router or not especially as it does have a noip setting but on advice here decided to remove. I did have both noip docker AND entries in router which obviously worked twice as well. I'm going to see how it goes over a couple of days. Any questions, i'll be back. Ta!

• 2 years later...
On 4/20/2018 at 9:39 PM, Hoopster said:

Assuming that "access your server from the outside world" means you primarily want access to the unRAID GUI in order to manage the server, a vpn is the best way to go about it.  jonathanm has already explained your options.

Personally, I have it set up this way:

1 - OpenVPN-AS docker running on unRAID server (server runs 24x7)

2 - No-IP domain name assigned to public IP of my router

3 - Port forwarding rules in the router that forward OpenVPN ports to the LAN IP:ports of my unRAID server

2 - OpenVPN client software installed on my laptops, phones and tablets for remote access via No-IP domain name assigned to unRAID server.

Your router may have OpenVPN (or another VPN server) built in which you could configure there.  Personally, I prefer to run it on unRAID.  If your server has IPMI, you could setup a vpn on a Raspberry Pi and start up your server remotely (if it is not running 24x7) from the RPi after you vpn in to it.

If you primarily want to access files, documents, etc. perhaps you want to go the Owncloud/Letsencrypt (reverse proxy)/DuckDNS (or No-IP) route which is well documented in these forums.

Hi, How do I access the server outside my network if my ISP doesn't support Port-Forwarding?

Thanks. (Originally Asked Here: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/100638-access-unraid-and-docker-apps-outside-network/?tab=comments#comment-928502)