Unable to access Private shares on one Windows 10 PC, but can on another

maxistviews

Hi guys,

I have two computers that I have connected to the network. One is a desktop Windows PC and one is a laptop. 

Both PCs can access to Public and Secure shares, but only the laptop can access Private shares.

On the Desktop, I get this error:

image.thumb.png.b5234243c8a30148aad9c437fb622d53.png

I've been reading through this thread and trying to do all that I can to get it to work: 

I have tried resetting the permissions with "Docker Safe New Perfs" and I've enabled Samba 1 and 2 on both PCs and theyre both Windows 10, so NTLMv2 should be on on both. There are no Windows credentials for me to delete. I am also running the Local Master plugin, and the server is the local master.

image.png.13f97fc11f2676bbcd04c759c405de31.png

Private Share settings:

image.thumb.png.6f521231eeeb3d2cd632810635bdd27a.png

SMB settings:

image.thumb.png.27457777b5390668ba0f60e7890a1ef0.png

image.thumb.png.f7043412fb944a5b17cafb069f390752.png

I suspect it is something I am forgetting to do on my desktop PC, but I have no idea what it could be as I've tried so many different solutions at this point. Any help is appreciated!

You might want to read a series of posts beginning with this one:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

One more thing.  You can only have one user logged onto SMB from a computer at a time.  (Some folks have gotten around this be using the IP address {rather than its name} of the server to allow a added a second logon.)  You have to be careful because Windows can automatically log a user onto a server when the computer starts up and you might never realize it.   

Hey Frank, thanks for the quick reply. 

I have done the "net user * /delete" command but this yields nothing, saying there is no credentials to delete. I have a username and password that mirrors the username I got by typing "whoami" in the commands prompt. Trouble is, both of my PCs have the same name as I am using my email address as the log in.

41 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

One more thing.  You can only have one user logged onto SMB from a computer at a time.  (Some folks have gotten around this be using the IP address {rather than its name} of the server to allow a added a second logon.)  You have to be careful because Windows can automatically log a user onto a server when the computer starts up and you might never realize it.   

So from what I see here, I can't have two computers accessing the same server using the same username/password, and the only workaround is to access my server using the IP address on one computer and the name on another? That's a bit of a bummer - both of my PCs have the same name - they're both under the same email address!

15 minutes ago, maxistviews said:

I can't have two computers accessing the same server using the same username/password

No, that is not true. You can only use SMB as one user at any given time on a given computer. So if you connect to \\tower\share1 as userA you can't connect to \\tower\share2 as userB at the same time from the same computer. It's a Windows restriction and the work round it to try connecting to \\ip-address-of-tower\share2 instead. Or you could use a different OS, of course.

You are saying that both of your computers have the Computer Name?  That should not be difficult to change and that should be your starting point.  

I understand that the User Name  is a bit more of a hassle-- especially with Win10.  (I, personally, would avoid using the User Name on the Windows computer as a user on the server.)    

27 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

You are saying that both of your computers have the Computer Name?  That should not be difficult to change and that should be your starting point. 

Ah apologies. No, those are not the same, so I am fine there.

27 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

(I, personally, would avoid using the User Name on the Windows computer as a user on the server.)    

But your original link made it sound like you want your User Name as the user on the server for easy authentication or something. Did I get that wrong? Is it not required?

29 minutes ago, John_M said:

No, that is not true. You can only use SMB as one user at any given time on a given computer. So if you connect to \\tower\share1 as userA you can't connect to \\tower\share2 as userB at the same time from the same computer. It's a Windows restriction and the work round it to try connecting to \\ip-address-of-tower\share2 instead. Or you could use a different OS, of course.

So if I have computer 1 and computer 2, BOTH should be able to access the same share at the same time, right? Can I be signed in as userA on both using \\tower? So far that hasnt worked. right now I am able to access \\tower\privateshare1 from computer1 and on computer2, I have to do \\192.168.etc.\privateshare1

16 minutes ago, maxistviews said:

So if I have computer 1 and computer 2, BOTH should be able to access the same share at the same time, right? Can I be signed in as userA on both using \\tower?

Yes. The issue is when you first access the server, windows is being "helpful" and sending a set of credentials. Since some of your shares are set public, ANY credentials will work, and windows remembers that, and will refuse to use any other credentials for that server, locking you out of the private share.

You need to be sure that the FIRST server access is to the private share, so the credentials will be forced to be the correct ones. Any shortcuts, drive letter mapping, ANY connection to the public share that are in your user profile on windows will prevent you from connecting to the private share.

It's a stupid windows issue, if you are truly stuck and need access and can't get it to work, you can work around it by using the IP address so windows thinks it's connecting to a different server.

Archived