Help Troubleshooting Recurring Crashes

I've been having problems with my server recently (last 3-4 months). It will run for a number of weeks and then become unresponsive (no web GUI, no ssh access), requiring a hard reset by holding the power button. I captured system logs using the troubleshooting mode of the Fix Common Problems plugin. Syslog files and diagnostic files are attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

syslog-1529765331

bunker-diagnostics-20180630-2104.zip

syslog-1530417311

syslog-1529984970

Same here 

and here

I have not got a solution yet, I'm still looking for one and cross posting all the threads together will mean if a solution gets posted to one of them, we will all be able to find it..

Edited by Parax
On 7/1/2018 at 3:55 AM, shooga said:

I've been having problems with my server recently (last 3-4 months). It will run for a number of weeks and then become unresponsive (no web GUI, no ssh access), requiring a hard reset by holding the power button. I captured system logs using the troubleshooting mode of the Fix Common Problems plugin. Syslog files and diagnostic files are attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

syslog-1529765331

bunker-diagnostics-20180630-2104.zip

syslog-1530417311

syslog-1529984970

99% of one of your syslogs (I really only looked at ...4970 which appears to be a FCP tail) is nothing but one call trace after another of

Jun 30 03:56:56 Bunker kernel: INFO: rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU

The diagnostics look like they were after you rebooted the system June 30th ~20:54

IIRC, rcu-self detected stalls *seemed* to have disappeared from reports around here somewhere around 6.0-rc something.  Whether or not this is relevant to your problems, I'm really not sure (when they were happening in early 6.0, I seem to think that they were more of an annoyance than anything else.  Perhaps @eschultz or @limetech might have a better insight into this.

@Squid Thanks for the response. FCP didn't save diagnostics, so I had to grab them after the crash. I'm running it again and this time it's saving diagnostics files.

Do you think the stall is causing my problem? I saw another thread where you were playing with the stall timeout and a couple other settings. Do you recommend trying that? Or should the update to Unraid have made that obsolete?

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just on vacation and came home to another crash. I'm attaching the FCPsyslog_tail.txt and diagnostics files. Doesn't look like rcu-self detected stalls are the issue this time; in fact I don't see what would have caused it.

I have a display connected to the server this time. What should I be looking for there? Do I need to be running a specific application or in a specific mode (GUI vs no GUI for example)?

Thanks again for any help!

FCPsyslog_tail.txt

bunker-diagnostics-20180706-2332.zip

I decided to try memtest to see if that could be the issue. Ran through 5 passes with no errors, so I think that rules out a memory problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Given the lack of ideas, should I be considering a clean install of Unraid?

Thanks for the response.

With the infrequency of crashes (might be weeks between crashes) and the way I use my server, running in safe mode to test would largely mean it's out of service for weeks at a time. Not sure I can do that, but I will try culling plugins and dockers back to a bare minimum to see if that helps. If not, I will continue to cull. If this fails then I will try safe mode eventually, but hopefully I can avoid that.

Thanks again for the suggestion.