User Share: homes


8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Hey,

 

I have created a user share called homes with subdirectories user1, user2, etc. and after adding a network drive to windows explorer for user1 (\\IP\homes\user1) everything seems fine.

But now I noticed, when I open \\IP in windows explorer, to see all available network shares, there is a share called user1 (\\IP\user1) which is the same as \\IP\homes ?

 

If it would be \\IP\homes\user1, I would think unRAID creates user shares for each specific user automatically, but I do not understand this case.

 

Hope you can help.

 

Thanks.

Link to post
4 hours ago, Xuvin said:

...there is a share called user1 (\\IP\user1) which is the same as \\IP\homes

What you mean by "same" in the above? 

 

Also SSH into your server and post up the results (or a screen shot) of the following Linux commands:

 

ls -al /mnt/user0

ls -al /mnt/user


 

Link to post
On 7/2/2018 at 9:58 PM, Frank1940 said:

What you mean by "same" in the above? 

 

Also SSH into your server and post up the results (or a screen shot) of the following Linux commands:

 


ls -al /mnt/user0

ls -al /mnt/user


 

Let's start again, hoping that I am less confusing with my description.

 

I created a share called homes, that would be located at /mnt/user/homes.

 

While browsing on my Windows machine via smb to the servers ip address, there is the previously created share homes (\\IP\homes).

But there is also automatically a share called the same as the current user that is logged in via smb (\\IP\username) and this share is pointing to the created homes share (\\IP\homes).

 

Any idea why that is ?

 

PS:

I renamed the user share homes to home and the automatically appearing user dir samba share has disappeared.

Edited by Xuvin
Link to post

Users on unRaid do not have a home directory ..... in your case there is one share called ‘homes’ which is ‘/mnt/user/homes’.

 

Users are used to control access to shares and/or files within a share depending on the permissions set on the share, directories and files.

Link to post

My results:

 

Created a share called "homes"  Windows could not access it at all.  Didn't matter about the security settings on the share.  Permissions were correct

 

Renamed the share to be "home"  No issues accessing

 

Renamed the share back to be "homes"  Cannot access it.

 

I *think* that you're hitting a reserved name somewhere along the line, either with SMB / CIFS / Windows, but I can't find documentation on it.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Squid said:

My results:

 

Created a share called "homes"  Windows could not access it at all.  Didn't matter about the security settings on the share.  Permissions were correct

 

Renamed the share to be "home"  No issues accessing

 

Renamed the share back to be "homes"  Cannot access it.

 

I *think* that you're hitting a reserved name somewhere along the line, either with SMB / CIFS / Windows, but I can't find documentation on it.

I also had such a assumption, but was not sure.

 

Glad to hear it is not just me having the issue with the given configuration, although you are not even able to connect to it.


Is there also a new share showing up with your currently used username at the same time ?

 

However, I am staying with home as share name and everything is working as it should. ?

Link to post
  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.