not find device "bond0" - No IP Address

Dear Unraid community, i am by no means professional. simple an enthusiast trying to get my media server working. So apologies in advance if this has already been ask.

I have the following system:

1 x Maximus Hero V111

64GB RAM

Intel CPU

and 24xHDD case with various size drives.

I have tried to use Freenas, but it seems to have lots of issues, or maybe needs lots of tweaking and tuning which I don't have the expertise. After some googling, I come across unraid and many people who moved from Freenas to unraid are happy with it. 

So I thought I will give it a go, but unfortunately, I have not been able to get past the boot screen so far.

Here is what i tried so far:

I formatted a flash drive using FAT32 and named it UNRAID, downloaded the unraid zip image, unzipped and copied the files as per the instructions video on the site. also followed the instructions to right click on the file make_bootable do as needed. that did not work, so next, i formatted the USB drive and used rufus, but still no luck. each time i boot into image, it boots up and ends up with the following error (attached a screenshots)

probe: FATAL: module bonding not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.49-unRAID

not find device bond0

i tried to boot into the GUI install, it does not open the web page as if its looking for the internet,

when i booted into CLI, i see its not getting an IP address.

so I added a Intel 4 port NIC card and tried again, but again i see its not getting an ip address.

I would like to try and probably move into UNRAID if i can get it working, but so far no luck.

Any help or suggestion greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

U n eed to run the make bootable as admin, u say its n ot working. What exactly is not working?

Also try to replace your network.cfg with

# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]="br0"
BRNAME[0]="br0"
BRSTP[0]="no"
BRFD[0]="0"
BRNICS[0]="eth0"
DESCRIPTION[0]="LAN1"
PROTOCOL[0]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"
DNS_SERVER1="8.8.8.8"
DNS_SERVER2="8.8.4.4"
USE_DHCP6[0]="yes"
DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"
SYSNICS="1"

Edited by nuhll

Hi, thank you for the prompt response.

i wish i could tell you what the issue is. but i don't know myself what is going wrong at the moment, all i can do is relay the error messages i am seeing.

I have carried out steps 1-5 (please the screenshots) and plugged the USB in and boot the server up. the installation completes, but when i login using root and no password, i get prompted with a web browser (see screenshot 6), which has the address "localhost" but no page.

1.png

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.jpg

thank you for the assistance. it turned out to be a faulty USB. although it was booting up, i could not write the diagnostics to the USB, so this prompted me to try another USB, the new USB booted up and connected no issues. 

thank again

15 hours ago, 24x4TB said:

lol, i know. it seems mysterious. i dont know if its just coincidence or really the USB, but once i changed the USB all started working.

Not very mysterious....

image.png.6f8c4fe76af1eade625afc529ee08237.png

Your flash device contains the bzmodules file which is mounted during startup, but not accessible here. Usually happens when there is some problem with the flash device.

On 7/26/2018 at 6:18 PM, 24x4TB said:

lol, i know. it seems mysterious. i dont know if its just coincidence or really the USB, but once i changed the USB all started working.

Out of curiosity, what USB drive were you using? I have this exact same problem and the only way to get around it is to unplug the USB drive during boot when it comes up with "usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110" and then plug it back in again. It would then continue booting normally. I'm using a Sandisk Ultrafit.

It seems hit and miss. I had this problem which corrected itself when i changed the USB drive. but i re-formatted the non-working USB, copied the content of the working USB and tried again, this time worked. so it's worth making sure the USB is formatted through something like CMD diskpart etc and try again. The USB which first did not work but later worked was SANDISK USB.

I also get the feeling sometimes it does not like USB3, suggest worth trying it on a USB2 port.

22 hours ago, Tal said:

Out of curiosity, what USB drive were you using? I have this exact same problem and the only way to get around it is to unplug the USB drive during boot when it comes up with "usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110" and then plug it back in again. It would then continue booting normally. I'm using a Sandisk Ultrafit.

This indicates the machine is having troubles reading the USB stick.    Have you tried a different one?   That is also why a USB 2 port is recommended if available as they tend to be less prone to such errors.

Thanks. I've tried every port on the board, both front panel and onboard with the same results. It's funny how Limetech suggests using a good quality USB drive and yet my crappy generic USB drive never gave me any problems ?