How to configure Permissions with Read / Write but NOT DELETE

Dear Sir

1) I would like to know is there an option to set up user permissions in such a way, that the user can Read / Write to the SMB share, but not Delete any file/folder. This is so as to prevent any catastrophic data loss in case of accidental deletion.

2) If the above cannot be achieved, the second best option would be the recycle bin plugin, do we have to separately install it on the latest version of UnRaid, or does it come pre-installed?

Best regards

3 hours ago, trurl said:

There is a Recycle Bin plugin. Check in Community Applications. It only recycles deletes that were done over the network.

Shall I assume that the first option, that is " set up user permissions in such a way, that the user can Read / Write to the SMB share, but not Delete any file/folder." is NOT POSSIBLE?

15 minutes ago, Vishesh Gupta said:

Shall I assume that the first option, that is " set up user permissions in such a way, that the user can Read / Write to the SMB share, but not Delete any file/folder." is NOT POSSIBLE?

I would think so.   Never seen any suggestion that this might be possible.

OK, there might be a way to kludge Linux into allowing files to be written but not deleted but it's messy and not supported by the unRAID GUI. It involves the use of either the sticky bit (POSIX permissions) or the immutable flag (which relies on the file system supporting that particular extended attribute - it seems that XFS does). You'd need to change the permissions and ownership of both the file to be protected and its containing folder and I'm not sure how it would then work with SAMBA. For more information see here.

In summary then, if you don't mind doing some command line work you might be able to kludge it but for all practical purposes it's better to assume that it can't be done.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...