1 drive is faulty. Red X. Can I remove it from array, pre-clear it once again, and re-assign to array?

jang430

It is worth noting that a red ‘x’ does not necessarily mean a drive is faulty - just to a write to it has failed so unRAID has stopped using it.    External factors (e.g. cabling) are a far more common occurrence than the drive itself failing.

You do not HAVE to preclear it first if you want to try re-using it (although you might want to do the preclear as a drive confidence check).   Simply stopping the array; unassigning the disk; restarting the array will make unRAID ‘forget’ the drive was part of the array.   The next time you stop the array and assign the disk again then unRAID will inform you that it will be rebuilt if you proceed.   The rebuild process rewrites every sector of the drive which is why  a preclear is optional rather than being required.

1 hour ago, jang430 said:

So if I want to try it out again, better turn off the PC, check or replace sata cables, and start it back up?  Check rebuild?  Don't want to give up on the drive just yet.

Shut down and check/replace the cables. Power up and check the SMART report for the disk. It's a good idea to run the extended self test before re-using the disk. If it fails then replace it. If it passes then rebuild onto the same disk. To do that stop the array, unassign the disk, start the array, stop the array, reassign the disk, finally start the array again and the rebuild will start automatically.

11 minutes ago, jang430 said:

Where do I see this?  Here?

The SMART status is shown in the Attributes section. If you don't know how to interpret it then download the SMART report and post it or, better, post your diagnostics zip, which includes SMART reports for all disks and a wealth of other useful information about the health of your server. Tools -> Diagnostics.

12 minutes ago, jang430 said:

Also, the extended test is to be run here?

Yes, click the Start button next to SMART extended self-test.

23 hours ago, jang430 said:

Will I get the option "yes, I want to do this?"  Meaning, move data back to the disk.

This is of course subject to the failed drive being able to be revived, if not, I will replace the drive.

No idea why drive became faulty.

I highlighted one part of your post because it seems confused about how things work. There will be no moving of data back to the disk because the data isn't on another disk to move it from. The data is being emulated by using the parity calculation to calculate it from all the other disks. When you rebuild the disk, that emulated data will be written to it.

I don't necessarily disagree with the advice to do a SMART test, but I would just note that unless you have dual parity your array is unprotected and will be so until you rebuild the disk, which is likely to be several hours with an extended SMART test. Avoid writing to your server until it is protected again.

The diagnostics from your old version of unRAID require a lot more work from us and don't give us as much information. Please upgrade after you get your array square.

Looks like disk1 disconnected during rebuild, but SMART OK.

Shut down, check all connections, power and SATA, both ends. Don't bundle SATA cables, you can get crosstalk. Each connector must sit squarely on the connections without any strain that would cause it to work loose.

Archived