[REQUEST] Mastodon

mbezzo

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Jup, but that also adds computational power, network traffic on your end and not to speak about storage.

But what if a bigger server or even a smaller server decides to shutdown without any warning, where your account is hosted, isn't everything gone or do I understand that not right?

That's true but with such small instances you are always taking the risk of being shutdown or better speaking your account is deleted.

From my opinion the maintenance and all that comes with it is not worth for a single small server with maybe one or two users on it.

Anyways that's a thing for another topic... :)

You are making the opposite point to your conclusion.  By hosting your OWN instance, you own the server.  You own the data.  You own the computational power to run it.  When you run your own instance, nobody can shutdown your server or delete your account except for you.  I can't imagine the maintenance would be terribly high for a single user instance.  There is nobody to moderate except for yourself. 

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should try for my problem here?

On 12/7/2022 at 5:49 PM, JoshTheBlack said:

No luck.  Got redis and postgresql working fine.  Mastodon loads.  No errors in the log as far as I can see.

When I try to Sign Up the first account, the page just spins for 60 seconds then goes to "We're sorry but something went wrong on our end" page.  I can't figure it out.

I'm at a complete loss.  Can't figure out what the problem is.

4 minutes ago, JoshTheBlack said:

You are making the opposite point to your conclusion.  By hosting your OWN instance, you own the server.  You own the data.  You own the computational power to run it.  When you run your own instance, nobody can shutdown your server or delete your account except for you.  I can't imagine the maintenance would be terribly high for a single user instance.  There is nobody to moderate except for yourself. 

But what if something breaks.

In no offense, if you can't get the Docker containers to work (have to admit that it is a bit complicated but could be also done with Unraid templates -> I think 3 or 4 containers where necessary to run it but I gave up on this because I don't need it anyways and this is as said complicated... :/ ) what would be the case if one of the containers breaks or a new setting is introduced where something is changed or the database needs to be updated...? Just think about that... Again, in no offense...

If you want simplicity, simply install the compose plugin for Unraid and follow the official guide, that would be your best bet and is also working fine.

On 12/18/2022 at 1:05 PM, JoshTheBlack said:

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should try for my problem here?

I'm at a complete loss.  Can't figure out what the problem is.

Did you check your Postgres Db and permissions on it? I had a problem with that early on. Manually creating the db solved my issue. If you are able to see the tables have been created then likely not your problem. 

Also have you tried creating/verifying your account from the container (terminal)? You might at least get an error message indicating the problem. 

https://docs.joinmastodon.org/admin/tootctl/

6 hours ago, emptyfish said:

Did you check your Postgres Db and permissions on it? I had a problem with that early on. Manually creating the db solved my issue. If you are able to see the tables have been created then likely not your problem. 

Also have you tried creating/verifying your account from the container (terminal)? You might at least get an error message indicating the problem. 

https://docs.joinmastodon.org/admin/tootctl/

After trying to create an account for the past two weeks and just getting that error, I tried logging in with the account I created and it logged in and seems to work fine.  Used tootctl to set it as the owner, and everything *seems* to be working.  Including emails.  Just that signup process is leading to an error.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to try this out.   For those asking why - I want to test it out and see if it works great for an extended family.   Being able to host it on my own unraid means we can control it and can control who we let on.   A good portion of us have dropped off Facebook and the other services due to their issues.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 3:44 AM, pkoasne said:

Max_toot_length is not configurable with official mastodon. Changing max_toot_length manually isn't great because every time the docker updates, your configuration will be wiped. To get around this I created a userscript which I manually run after I update the docker. replace 5000 with whatever length you want to use.

#!/bin/bash
docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/500/5000/g' /app/www/app/javascript/mastodon/features/compose/components/compose_form.js
docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/500/5000/g' /app/www/app/validators/status_length_validator.rb
docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/:registrations/:registrations, :max_toot_chars /g' /app/www/app/serializers/rest/instance_serializer.rb
docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/private/def max_toot_chars\n    5000\n  end\n\n  private/g' /app/www/app/serializers/rest/instance_serializer.rb
docker exec -w /app/www/app mastodon bundle exec rails assets:precompile && echo "pass" || echo "fail"
docker container restart mastodon

At some point I'll get tired of manually running the script and will add a precheck to determine if the script should be run or not.

Got around to updating the script:

#!/bin/bash

if docker exec mastodon grep -q 5000 /app/www/app/javascript/mastodon/features/compose/components/compose_form.js &&
   docker exec mastodon grep -q 5000 /app/www/app/validators/status_length_validator.rb; then
  echo "No changes needed, 5000 already present in both files."
else
  docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/500/5000/g' /app/www/app/javascript/mastodon/features/compose/components/compose_form.js
  docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/500/5000/g' /app/www/app/validators/status_length_validator.rb
  docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/:registrations/:registrations, :max_toot_chars /g' /app/www/app/serializers/rest/instance_serializer.rb
  docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/private/def max_toot_chars\n    5000\n  end\n\n  private/g' /app/www/app/serializers/rest/instance_serializer.rb
  docker exec -w /app/www/app mastodon bundle exec rails assets:precompile && echo "Assets precompiled successfully." || echo "Assets precompilation failed."
  docker container restart mastodon
fi

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 7:13 PM, thunderclap said:

That actually didn't work for me. I had to find the 'tootctl' program and then just type 'tootctl accounts modify ACCOUNTNAME --role admin'

Installation docs have not been updated yet but thank you for this help! It is now "Admin" instead of admin though.