is there a way to speed up rsync transfers

comet424

Check that the NICs of both servers and anything else on your network are set to the same MTU. The default 1500 is fine and trouble-free for gigabit Ethernet. Jumbo frames are not backwards compatible and are more trouble than they are worth, unless you're using 10G Ethernet, but if you insist on using them anyway then everything has to support them, including the switch.

1 hour ago, comet424 said:

@itimpi is there a tool i can buy that tests for silent wire degrade that i can just plug in and says this wire is silently degrading or your not getting your max speed of this cable etc?

I have not actually tried any but there seems to be plenty of choice if you search amazon for something like “Ethernet cable tester”.   Note that this is checking the actual cabling - not the ports on the end device.  

Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Internet-Broadband-Connection-Capability-White-blue/dp/B004BVIIAS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1543675491&sr=8-14&keywords=ethernet+cable+tester Looks as if it would be sufficient or if you want rapid delivery (I.e. not wait for delivery from a China) then https://www.amazon.co.uk/rhinocables®-Ethernet-Testing-Tester-Remote/dp/B00ESCN8Z0/ref=pd_sbs_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ESCN8Z0&pd_rd_r=b8b91272-f577-11e8-a603-63e832f88de2&pd_rd_w=sblOg&pd_rd_wg=RCckw&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=2DJ4WGX783ZJ6WF094S2&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=2DJ4WGX783ZJ6WF094S2 Is not much more .   I may well get one for myself as I have lots of old LAN cables lying around and this would allow me to get rid of any that are defective.

Those linked testers are to put it mildly crap.  (But I do use them myself)

While they will show a cable that is definitely bad, all they are is continuity testers.  And there are a lot of other issues that can affect an ethernet cable that the cheap testers will not find.  Unfortunately, the "real / professional testers" cost upgrades of $1K

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

Those linked testers are to put it mildly crap.  (But I do use them myself)

While they will show a cable that is definitely bad, all they are is continuity testers.  And there are a lot of other issues that can affect an ethernet cable that the cheap testers will not find.  Unfortunately, the "real / professional testers" cost upgrades of $1K

I used one of these cheap testers a few years ago on a batch of cables I had lying around.   While I agree that the test is basically only doing a continuity test using the tester did find a few cables it showed as defective.   With the price of Ethernet cables being what it is I simply scrapped such cables as it was not worth the effort of trying to repair them.   As you say Pro ones that actually try and measure signal propagation are several orders of magnitude more expensive and can not be justified for home networks unless you are a professional installer where installing Ethernet it is part of your job.

i swapped out several network cables  and i have older switches so no managed  or energy savors  just regular 1Gbs

so i gettin 490 Mb/s  transfer i think..  from wnat dynamix network stats show..

but the rsync is saying like 30mb/s  

but there is a bug with Rsync or i guess i need another option added

my remote Server has run out of diskspace and shut the drives down... but Rysnc is still running on the host computer in a user script and still saying its transfering files to the remote server fine  is this a bug or is it because its Pushing and not pulling...   that it doesnt get  a confirmation that the remote server is full  and should stop transferring as i dont know where these files are transfering  yet says its transfering ok  without error

so least i getting transfer better from 400k  to least 23-30mb/s 

Archived