Fresh upgrade to V6, shares disappeared! (see bottom of post for diagnostics)

maxse

19 minutes ago, maxse said:

Should I just format the flash again and format the cache drive and start over?

That would be the simplest approach if you haven't already done a lot of configuration. Though it shouldn't really be necessary to format cache. Why do you want to?

I don't use encryption but I don't think that should be a problem as long as you know the key.

20 minutes ago, maxse said:

will I have to rebuild the new parity? Also should I do UEFI allowed? I think I did it allowed initially not sure what that is or if that caused any issues. 

Shouldn't be necessary to rebuild parity. Would have to set a New Config and check the parity is valid box. If UEFI works on your hardware then use it.

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

Shouldn't be necessary to rebuild parity. Would have to set a New Config and check the parity is valid box. If UEFI works on your hardware then use it.

Okay here we go. Formatting flash now. Figured I would format the cache again just to stat fresh since I installed some of the plugins and dockers already? I don't know if I made a mistake there which caused this to happen? Don't want it to happen again..

Not suere what UEFI means. I'm running a 5 year old ASRock board with a Athlon 2400 processor.

This project was supposed to include backup. I bought a bunch of the WD 10TB easystores, and installed some in my old unraid that wasnt active (an HP n40l microserver). I also loaded v6 on it and the drive is currently building the parity. I was going to figure out a plan for backup solution off-site, was doing both at once when this happened :(

I'll keep you guys posted. Any idea what happened? I followed the spaceinvader guide for setting up CA Backup, I guess I won't do that this time?

3 minutes ago, maxse said:

Any idea what happened? I followed the spaceinvader guide for setting up CA Backup, I guess I won't do that this time?

Not really. I haven't actually looked at those videos since I had most things working the way I wanted before they were created.

Shouldn't be a problem getting CA backup setup but we can deal with that later. As I mentioned you can just manually download a zipped backup of flash from the webUI anyway.

Okay guys hold on. I just assigned the parity and cache drive like before and I got a blue square next to theboarity and cache drives that indicates “new device”

I don’t recall seeing that before. I want to make sure that’s normal and that unraid doesn’t erase all my data if I start the array like this!

im not starting until you guys give me the go ahead

Edited by maxse

Okay, so I’m getting that blue square indicating new device for all of the drives that I’m assigning. 

Also, I’m matching the serial number of the drives the Disk numbers in unraid. It seems that some of the abbreviations have changed though (sdn) labeled drive that is now the parity1 drive used to be labeled as sdm. Parity 2 drive (that I cancelled the parity on) was actually the one that was sdn. I didn’t assign the second parity this time around. 

Just waiting for for you guys to tell me what to do. Didn’t actually start the array yet. Parity 2 is unassigned right now. 

I don’t even see the message that I saw last time that asked me if the parity already existed. It just says “start will record all disk info, bring array online and start Parity sync”

Edited by maxse

Are you taking photos because you are using the webUI on your server booted in GUI mode?

The webUI is just a web interface to your server and it can be accessed from any computer on your network. If you do it that way you can actually do a screen capture and post it instead of these photos. A real screen capture would be a lot easier for you to make and post. And more complete and easier for us to read.

Yes that looks good.

47 minutes ago, maxse said:

Also, I’m matching the serial number of the drives the Disk numbers in unraid. It seems that some of the abbreviations have changed though (sdn) labeled drive that is now the parity1 drive used to be labeled as sdm. Parity 2 drive (that I cancelled the parity on) was actually the one that was sdn.

The drive "letters" can change between boots. Most of the time you don't even need to know them. The serial numbers are what Unraid uses to keep track of the disk assignments.

so I'm okay starting it even with that blue square next to he drives saying "new device" and no giving me an option that a parity is already valid like it did somewhere (I don't remember exactly where) the first time I upgraded 2 days ago? Didnt capture on first screen shot. says all existing data on parity drive will be erase, even thought I just finished building that parity 1 day ago140723018_ScreenShot2018-12-10at11_33_04PM.thumb.png.6760ab32fe45218089e67125c82076e6.png

Edited by maxse

DONE! Thank you!

Okay, so what do I do next? Run permissions? The add the second parity? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure nothing messes up again.

BTW, I just checked the backups share that I created for CA Backup that's on the arrar, I went to flash folder and the config file is there and it seems to be correct. So it seems my path was correct? So I don't know what happened or what created that SS folder? Do you think I got a virus somehow??

Anyway, I'm deleting the flash backup, appdata backup and libvert backup folders that I made from the tutorial for CA Backup. Will address that later I guess. I want to start fresh.

I'm kinda nervous about Dockers now and all the setting up. Thinking of just running everything on a macmini :(

217449305_ScreenShot2018-12-10at11_44_11PM.png.480a23c26d90090f1d7b5c82ef20ed5e.png334440517_ScreenShot2018-12-10at11_44_46PM.png.2367d7971eda45041052b081e0152dbc.png

So what's next?

Edited by maxse
1 minute ago, maxse said:

So what's next?

2 hours ago, trurl said:

You must have a copy of anything important and irreplaceable on another system.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:19 PM, trurl said:

Make sure you setup Notifications to alert you by email or other agent immediately when Unraid detects a problem.

Then reinstall Community Applications and go from there.

For CA Backup, I would consider not backing up to the array.

9 hours ago, trurl said:

We have also had people put the backup on the array, which of course cannot be accessed until you boot from flash. Not necessarily a show-stopper but you do have to jump through some hoops to get back to where you were.

I have mine go to an NTFS Unassigned Device. I can just plugin it into Windows and read it there. Others put it on a network share on another computer mounted with Unassigned Devices.

33 minutes ago, trurl said:

I like to make sure my data is going to be OK before I start playing around with other things.

Did you download a backup of flash?

Boom! unraid flash back up done! Thanks! So don't bother figuring out sab, sonarr etc? I thought yu were referencing the flash backup specifically in CA apps, but since I just did a flash backup in unraid directly I can just do appdata and libvert? NTFS device, I guess I can attach a USB stick or something right? I would have to look into that. Maybe do that last after setting up a true backup solution and sab, sonar, radarr?

Thing is with backups I didn't get to figuring out and researching the workflow and how to do it. I don't think a mirror would be best because when I move the backup server off-site if I get a crypto type of virus and it's mirrored it could be an issue, no? I'm thinking that an incremental type of backup would be best since I could just select a different point in time? Not sure what's best practice. My unraid backup server is ready to go with a valid parity right now though. I just didn't have a chance to research this yet.

I guess I can address the errors below later? lol

In the meantime Im just copying the shares I can't afford to lose to the unraid backup server now using finder while I figure this stuff out. I need to be able to get my dockers back up and running.

BTW

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for helping me with this!!!

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 11.52.07 PM.png

Edited by maxse
6 hours ago, maxse said:

Why are some of the shares showing higher capacity then others? Like 5.45tb vs 4.71 on the others? 

4 hours ago, remotevisitor said:

The ones with the higher capacity probably have files on the cache drive (notice they have an orange triangle icon) , so the cache drive size is being included in the size calculated.

^^^THIS

You can click on the Compute... link next to each share to see what disks they are using, or click on the Compute All button to get all of them computed. It will take a little bit of time to get the answers.

6 hours ago, maxse said:

In the meantime Im just copying the shares I can't afford to lose to the unraid backup server now

Just decide what is important and irreplaceable. Then you can consider lower priority things later.

Don't forget about this one:

On 12/9/2018 at 3:19 PM, trurl said:

Make sure you setup Notifications to alert you by email or other agent immediately when Unraid detects a problem.

People who don't know when they get a single problem are the people who wind up with multiple problems they can't recover from.

Thanks so much. I’m getting a bunch of alerts and errors right now. I’ll get to those once I copy important stuff to the backup server and set up CA backup. 

Coukd you you let me know what the path should indicate. I’m not sure if this is the step that messed up my flash drive. (Honestly, this whole thing really discouraged unraid for me. I even started to look at the new Mac mini’s to use for plex and sab :()

I want to have a share on the array called “backups” and back up the cache drive to there. You mentioned some issues. What’s the issue with that?

my understand is if the cache drive fails, I put in a new cache drive. Install the CA backup plugin and just restore from the backup on the array and it should bring back all of dockers, plugins, and configurations of those dockers back on the new cache drive. Correct?

Backing up appdata to the array is fine. That's what I do.

What I was talking about is backing up flash, which is another feature of CA Backup. For backing up flash it makes more sense to use a destination that you will have access to without booting Unraid.

I have an Unassigned Device (external drive) with NTFS filesystem that I use for various purposes and it is automounted by UD so that is where I have CA Backup put my flash backup. Since it is NTFS I can just plug it into a Windows computer to access the backup of my flash.

Other people have Unassigned Devices mount a network share on another computer and use that as the destination for the flash backup. Either way if you can't boot from your flash, you can get to the flash backup and use it to get going again.

right that makes sense and that's what i thought you were speaking about before. Do I have the understanding correct in terms of the cache drive? 

In terms of backing up the flash drive? I thought once everything is set up nothing gets written to the flash drive and it just stores the unraid OS. I guess this is for when I add/remove share names and things like that?

Could you help me out with what path I should put into CA Backup given my share that I've created above? I just want to make sure I get this right and don't get things screwed up again. Although, I am fairly certain I followed the guide step=by-step which made sense, so no idea what caused this. Hoping unraid will be smooth going forward like it was before.