Parity drive doesn't spin down - solved!

schneeb

I recently installed unraid with some older hardware, having it setup with just 3 disk to begin with before migrating data, now that the data is migrated it is now populated with 5 disks and I've also added a cache device.

Once I moved my dockers to live on the cache, the disks will all spin down as expected apart from the parity drive which will stay active; if you manually request it to spindown it will do so and remain spun down until the other disks are active again but once again the parity will be left up after the others spin back down!

Is this intended? Is there a setting i've missed somewhere?

*edit* solved thankyou all!

Edited by schneeb

The data disks all spindown so that should mean nothing is using the array no? I assume nothing uses just the parity drive? I cleared the disk stats and the data drives spun down again after 0 read/writes to any of the HDDs.

I'm not sure what Turbo Write is?

I've disabled the folder caching plugin encase that is the culprit!

22 minutes ago, trurl said:

"Never" isn't the default, but I just noticed I had that on one drive, a drive that I had previously run an Extended SMART test on. Does it get changed to Never and not changed back on a SMART test?

Yes, when a extended smart test is started, the spindown time for that disk is disabled, it should be restored to the previous setting when the test is finished/cancelled.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, bonienl said:

Yes, when a extended smart test is started, the spindown time for that disk is disabled, it should be restored to the previous setting when the test is finished/cancelled.

I think I had a power cut during an extended smart test once so that could explain it!

• 4 years later...

It 

56 minutes ago, sonisame said:

I have same issue, very minimal system(running a few windows11 VM) and no shares, and one docker(sabnzbd) which is mostly off.

Parity disk keeps spinning(and writing) when VMs are on.

Please help 

Thanks

Attaching the logs 

samsvm-diagnostics-20230210-1430.zip 137.55 kB · 0 downloads

I suspect that your issue is due to the fact that all the shares relating to docker and V/ms which you normally want only on the cache for performance have Use Cache=Yes set.   That means you want mover to transfer the files from ca he to array if it can, and if you have files on the array then any writes to them will cause the parity dtive to be Aldo updated.

BTW:  the release of Unraid you are running (6.11.) has a bug so that we cannot see all the information about your shares - you should consider upgrading to the 6.12.5 release which is the current Stable version.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

6.11.5 release

FTFY

You can see how much of each disk is used by each user share by clicking Compute... for the share, or Compute All, on the User Shares page.

Simplest is to have all the default shares on a fast pool (cache) and not on the array.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Shares#Default_Shares

That way your Dockers and VMs will perform better, and won't keep array disks spunup since these files are always open.

To get these moved off the array, they must be set cache:prefer. Also, nothing can move open files, so you have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings so Mover can move these.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys

So what I understand!

1) All NVME drives should be part of cache pool, not main data array(spinning drives)

2) All dockers/VM stopped or docker/VM Manager turned off

3) Move the docker data and VM images to cache pool

4) Restart the dockers/VM Manager, and point to new locations of image files in gui and set to cache:prefer

5) Recheck parity with those NVME drives moved to cache pool( I guess I will have to rewrite config with those NVME removed).

Please correct me if I missed a step. Does this mean my windows VM images are always NOT parity protected(I guess can always reinstall windows/ubuntu if NVME fails).

Sam