Drives dropping out of array into UD (split from Preclear Results)

TODDLT

Update:  Both drives are on the zero'ing stage.   Let's assume they finish this time around, sometime tomorrow afternoon.   Is this likely a sign of the time to replace the PSU?

My corsair is PSU is 7 years old this month and was silver certified at the time.  I've heard PSU's loose capacity over time, so thinking that's the wise choice but not looking to spend 150-200 I don't need too.  850 or 1000W?  

I'll probably post a separate thread in the hardware / builder section.  Please let me know what you think about root cause based on the chain here.

Thanks again all.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

Any thoughts?  

something to try... and eliminate the PSU as being at fault....

unplug all of the HDDs from the system except for the ones that you need to preclear... 

so the only HDDs that are powered on/spinning are 2vs16?... if preclear works... then you will know that you PSU is over tasked with all of those hdd running...

that's my 2 cents for the day

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Run an extended SMART test to make sure it's the disk, not the plugin failing.

I'll run the SMART when I get home, maybe lunch.  The short SMART after the first two failings didn't turn up anything (reports are in in the chain above, near the top of this page).  So assuming nothing drops out of the extended test, does an aging PSU explain this?  Any way to know for sure?

2 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

I'll run the SMART when I get home, maybe lunch.  The short SMART after the first two failings didn't turn up anything (reports are in in the chain above, near the top of this page).  So assuming nothing drops out of the extended test, does an aging PSU explain this?  Any way to know for sure?

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

4 minutes ago, mathomas3 said:

something to try... and eliminate the PSU as being at fault....

unplug all of the HDDs from the system except for the ones that you need to preclear... 

so the only HDDs that are powered on/spinning are 2vs16?... if preclear works... then you will know that you PSU is over tasked with all of those hdd running...

that's my 2 cents for the day

... not liking taking Plex offline for 36 hours to run a test, but may be the only option.  I'll look at the DVR schedule 🙁

Edited by TODDLT
3 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

... not liking taking Plex offline for 36 hours to run a test, but may be the only option.  I'll look at the DVR schedule 🙁

if you have another box to do a preclear with... 

are you using an UPS on this system? if you dont... you might try and add that to your setup... it might help "Clean" the power to the box...

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Short test is very quick and usually passes unless the disk is in very bad shape or has pending sectors, extended test does a complete surface read.

I'll wait for the "good" drive to complete it's 2nd pass, at least that way it's complete.  Then I'll start the "bad" drive extended SMART.  I guess another option would be to let the Pre-clear run on the one drive alone.

1 minute ago, mathomas3 said:

if you have another box to do a preclear with... 

are you using an UPS on this system? if you dont... you might try and add that to your setup... it might help "Clean" the power to the box...

no additional unraid box...  I do have a pretty good APC UPS 1500 that came from a commercial environment.  I don't recall the exact model but it's similar to a SMC1500C except it doesnt have the digital display.  

I finally made it home and the weirdness continues.

- Same odd errors as last time, the drives not showing up in the array, all and/or part in unassigned drives.

- This time I CAN access the shares

- Plex is still functional

- Both pre-clears sow failed.  However both are still "humming" definitely still spinning.

- Preclear says failed but when I got to a point where I could click the red x.. the drive stopped humming.  

- I could never get to a place where I could stop the 2nd so I just rebooted.  All came up fine.

14 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

I finally made it home and the weirdness continues.

- Same odd errors as last time, the drives not showing up in the array, all and/or part in unassigned drives.

- This time I CAN access the shares

- Plex is still functional

- Both pre-clears sow failed.  However both are still "humming" definitely still spinning.

- Preclear says failed but when I got to a point where I could click the red x.. the drive stopped humming.  

- I could never get to a place where I could stop the 2nd so I just rebooted.  All came up fine.

Try 1 hdd... If that works do the second... If they both pass... Then you know your pcu can handle 1 extra hdd and not 2

Edited by mathomas3
29 minutes ago, mathomas3 said:

Try 1 hdd... If that works do the second... If they both pass... Then you know your pcu can handle 1 extra hdd and not 2

picking a new PSU tonight and will try the one HDD overnight.  The PSU used to handle it, but wont at this point due to age or parts failing.

Thanks all for the help.  

2 hours ago, mathomas3 said:

Hope that fixes your problem... 

I hope so too.  I let the one single drive that had previously fully passed a preclear try to finish it's second run by itself last night and by morning the craziness was back.  I have unplugged both drives now and will wait until the new PSU comes in before trying again.  

If you think there is somewhere else to look on this, please let me know.  Other than an issue in the recent updates to unassigned devices and/or pre-clear I'm not sure what it could be.  I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue coming up so assuming it's not a software conflict.

4 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

I hope so too.  I let the one single drive that had previously fully passed a preclear try to finish it's second run by itself last night and by morning the craziness was back.  I have unplugged both drives now and will wait until the new PSU comes in before trying again.  

If you think there is somewhere else to look on this, please let me know.  Other than an issue in the recent updates to unassigned devices and/or pre-clear I'm not sure what it could be.  I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue coming up so assuming it's not a software conflict.

I had symptoms like this before... Bought two different psus before solving the issue... Burnt out a motherboard too... So I upgraded the whole box when that happened...

My system would boot... And start preclear... But would die sometime later... Just as you have been experiencing... 

I don't post on here much... But hope that solves your issue...

2 minutes ago, mathomas3 said:

I had symptoms like this before... Bought two different psus before solving the issue... Burnt out a motherboard too... So I upgraded the whole box when that happened...

My system would boot... And start preclear... But would die sometime later... Just as you have been experiencing... 

I don't post on here much... But hope that solves your issue...

why 2 PSU's and the MB?  Any lessons learned?  

2 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

why 2 PSU's and the MB?  Any lessons learned?  

When I was installing the one pcu... It rubbed loose a hdd connection and when I powered it on... It burned the Mobo and pcu... 

So I got another pcu and Mobo CPU and fired her up and it's been happy since...

Since that I have been using fewer HDDs because once a hdd fails I replace it with a larger one... I went from 13 to the 8 I have currently...

Sorry I did not mean to turn a question about a pre-clear issue into a PSU discussion.  Here is my PSU question thread.  Any help is much appreciated (over there).  I didn't want to continue what has become "off topic" in this section of the forum.  Once I get the PSU installed I'll drop a note back here one way or the other.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/78181-psu-recommendation/

1 minute ago, mathomas3 said:

When I was installing the one pcu... It rubbed loose a hdd connection and when I powered it on... It burned the Mobo and pcu... 

So I got another pcu and Mobo CPU and fired her up and it's been happy since...

Since that I have been using fewer HDDs because once a hdd fails I replace it with a larger one... I went from 13 to the 8 I have currently...

got it, thanks.

Well to all those who were helping me:

I replaced the PSU last night with an HX850.  I re-started both preclears again and things were going along fine.  This morning one drive hit the zeroing stage, band based on the emails I have received, one just errored out before getting there.  I will go home at lunch and see if the other craziness is happening again.  

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is causing these drives to both error out now.  It looks as though the drive that initally failed twice is now still running and the drive that initially completed it's pre-clear has now failed.  EDIT: ((confirmed this is the case))

Edited by TODDLT
2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Did you run an extended SMART test on them like suggested?

I think only a short test, and got sidetracked with crazy errors that popped up affecting every drive in the case.  This had me thinking the about the probability for it being a PSU failing.   If it's actually just one of these drives being bad I wouldn't think it would make every drive fall out of the array status.

I'll be headed home shortly and see if the whole rig has gone crazy again, will restart, and run extended self tests on both drives.

Thanks.