Format for movie backups

Glimmerman911

Transformers is HD-DVD only, and thus capped at 30gb so it's probably... Pirates 3?

Call me crazy (or call me a dirty thief) but I'm all about xvid for SD (mainly dramas and television shows) and .mkv for all my HD. At 30-50gb per film you need a crazy array - 4.3-8.5gb .mkvs look spectacular on my measly 96" screen and 720p projector.

The theater has...

Barco 1208 CRT Projector fed by an HTPC at 720p or HD Cable-Box/DVR, also at 720p

110" VuTech DaLight screen  (purchased screen material through AVS, built my  own screen frame)

Ahh... Joe, I knew I respected you on another level, and didn't understand why until now.  LONG LIVE THE CRT!!!  I'm working on a new HVPS for a Marquee 9500LC.  Oh yeah.

Now back to the original posting topic.

I like ISO's because everything is containted in 1 file and it feels cleaner.  Joe's comment about being able to watch the movie without a menu is true, but to get around this by using a bit for bit ISO is to use SlySoft's AnyDVD.  You tell it to do so and it will start 99% of the DVD IS0's right where the movie begins.  Just in case I'm interested in the menu and other items, it's still there.

DVDDecryptor[RIP], Daemon Tools, DVD Profiler, XML2My, myHTPC, AnyDVD & unRAID = A homebrew solution as close to the Kaleidescape as I have seen.

Now back to the original posting topic.

I like ISO's because everything is containted in 1 file and it feels cleaner.  Joe's comment about being able to watch the movie without a menu is true, but to get around this by using a bit for bit ISO is to use SlySoft's AnyDVD.  You tell it to do so and it will start 99% of the DVD IS0's right where the movie begins.  Just in case I'm interested in the menu and other items, it's still there.

DVDDecryptor[RIP], Daemon Tools, DVD Profiler, XML2My, myHTPC, AnyDVD & unRAID = A homebrew solution as close to the Kaleidescape as I have seen.

Aaron,

Can you utilize your UnRaid stored movies directly or must you go through another Windows/Linux based PC or streamer(XBMC/MG35/etc.)?  Also have you automated your process, seems like quite a few steps to load the UnRaid Server?  I utilize DFab straight to multiple split *.vob's then copy to UnRaid by Directory name, but still have to utilize the Video_TS.vob to launch and am looking for a simpler movie icon based model similar to Kaleidescape or Escient.

Thanks - Dave

Currently using AnyDVD\HD to VOB\IFO via DVDShrink - only the menus get shrunk. If need be I can convert these to smaller files for use on my PSP. 600+ ripped so far, what a relief to get these off of shelves! Not yet ripped my HD-DVDs as I'm not sure what to play them on just yet. For playback I use XBMC on an XBOX right now but only until DVD playback is solid on the Linux version of XBMC which I've built and am using for everything else right now. DVD playback on that is stil problematic IME but the software is getting better every day. Good enough I've bought a mATX board and HTPC quality case for it to have a permanent home n the entertainment center ;D

One thing I'm considering is postprocessing my ripped DVDs with something like FFDShow but I've not yet worked out how I'll do this - I know it's possible though. Here's a commercial product doing it -> http://www.thedeemon.com/VideoEnhancer/

Aaron,

Can you utilize your UnRaid stored movies directly or must you go through another Windows/Linux based PC or streamer(XBMC/MG35/etc.)?  Also have you automated your process, seems like quite a few steps to load the UnRaid Server?  I utilize DFab straight to multiple split *.vob's then copy to UnRaid by Directory name, but still have to utilize the Video_TS.vob to launch and am looking for a simpler movie icon based model similar to Kaleidescape or Escient.

Thanks - Dave

Here's my process. I rip via DVD Decryptor, saving directly to unRAID is fine.  It's a little slower, but you walk away from it anyway, so no biggie.

After it starts ripping, I open DVD Profiler.  It automatically adds the movie to my list.  I output the XML from DVD Profiler.  Then I use XML2My to create the movies *.my file and cover art.  Then I copy both files over to unRAID, putting them into the same folder as the ISO.

The biggest issue is that the .my, .jpg and ISO files need to be the same names.

The cover art is available for the DVD I just ripped.  myHTPC lets you filter by genre as well.  Also, I was able to modify myHTPC to show the cover art for 12 DVD's at the same time.  I think the default is 9.

There is a simple mod you can do to myHTPC which will tell it to run a BAT file when you say 'play'.  So when a movie is clicked from myHTPC, the bat file automatically unmounts anything that might be mounted, mounts the ISO for the movie you selected (Daemon Tools), opens Zoom Player full-screen, and tells Zoom Player to play the movie on the drive you just mounted.  AnyDVD is running so when the movie loads, Zoom Player automatically plays it from the beginning, skipping menu’s & warnings.

It is the slickest and easiest home-brew solution I have played with.  The WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is good too.  She knows that all she needs to do is power up the unRAID server (if it's off) and then power up the theater (HTPC).  myHTPC runs, and with one click, the movie is playing.

Please note that I am always interested in improving the process.  That’s why I’m here.

Oz

I also save my BLU-RAY and HD-DVD backups as ISOs (using Ashampoo Burning Studio 7) and use Daemon tools to mount these also.

I'm curious.  On average, how long does it take to rip those?

The HD DVD I've done usually rip in 50-60 minutes.  XBox 360 drive and either DVD Fab HD or AnyDVD HD.

Archived