Constant crashing or rebooting

Hi,

I've been suffering for the past few days with an issue with my server crashing (black screen, fans on full) or just random reboots.

I have my diagnostics file, although this is taken after a reboot as I have no choice, I can't access unraid at all once it crashes. I can't see a way to upload a file from here, so here is a link to the file on my G-Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18LCiOu9Be1XY4g7S1PjSJGpTBS0a7u0W/view?usp=sharing

I have tried using both Fix Common Problems plugin and Nerdpack mcelog to find the issue, but I'm lost.

Here is as much detail I can give on my setup:

Hardware -

AMD 1700X CPU @ 3.4GHz with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler

ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS

16GB Corsair Vengence RAM @ 2933MHz

500GB NVMe Cache drive

MSI GT710 Main GPU

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW GPU for VM (currently unused but installed)

2 x 4TB Hard drives, 1 x 1TB Hard drive, no parity set up (Data loss would be annoying but not critical)

Corsair RM650 PSU

Software -

Bios version 4801 x64

Unraid 6.7.2 - Basic licence

Plugins:

Community Applications - 2019.09.22

Dynamix SSD TRIM - 2017.04.23a

Fix Common Problems - 2019.10.13a

Nerd Tools - 2019.01.25

mcelog (mcelog-161-x86_64-1.txz)

Docker:

Plex from https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker

VMs: none

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the options mentioned. I had previously set up storing syslog on flash, so I have uploaded the file below which contains multiple crashes, and likely some forced reboots with holding the power button.

Since I posted, I have removed the GTX 1070 GPU, reset the RAM to JDEC speeds (2133MHz or auto in the BIOS) and I have updated my BIOS version to 5220.

I also tried replacing my Plex docker container from the offical Plex container to the Linuxsystems version.

None of these have seemed to have stoped the issues.

I will try Ryzen workarounds and a memtest now and get back to you.

syslog

Now I'm less sure this is a memory issue. Both sets of sticks performed exactly the same. As soon as I click the memtest option on the unraid boot menu, the system immediately and instantly restarts, as if it was off and I just turned it on.

Please see this video I took which shows this:

I'm going to dig more into these Ryzen workarounds to see if any of these can fix the issue.

That looks like a UEFI boot. You can't run MemTest from the menu unless you legacy boot.

Sort your memory problem out first. Corsair Vengeance DRAM has a lifetime guarantee so RMA the set if it fails.

The best option for fixing the C-state problem (which affects only 1000-series Ryzen processors) is to look for the Power Supply Idle control in the BIOS (I found it at Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Power Supply Idle Control) and setting it to typical current idle instead of low current idle.

I just upgraded to a Ryzen 1600 and I'm also having random reboots. According to the syslog file the server is running, no logs for a while (probably because it's 3am and I'm not using the server) and then just restarts for no reason. I'm looking into trying these Ryzen fixes but I'm not sure what the Power Supply Idle Control actually does. I have figured out what the C-states do though. Could someone maybe give me a rough idea of what Power Supply Idle Control does as @John_M states that is the real fix?

It prevents the processor cores from sinking so deeply into sleep that they can't wake up again. Why don't you give it a try? Having figured out what C-states do, you'll understand that globally disabling them is somewhat draconian now that there's a real fix that allows them to remain enabled.

Edited by John_M