Snapshots and hot swap disks ?

I think the btrfs filesystem has some sort of snapshot capability but since I have no experience with that I'll let others comment.

The way Unraid handles replacement of disks there isn't really any point to hot swap of disks in the array. You must go into the webUI and stop the array, assign the replacement disk, and start the array to begin the rebuild.

On the other hand, you can "hot plug" disks not in the array and use them with Unassigned Devices plugin.

Your question about hot swap makes me think you may have some other things that need clearing up though. Unraid IS NOT RAID. It has some similarities to some RAID configurations, but each data disk in Unraid is an independent filesystem, no striping. This important difference makes it possible to add disks to Unraid without rebuilding the array, and to use different sized disks in the array. There is also one or two parity disks that provide some redundancy so you can recover from a failed disk.

Check out the Product pages linked at the top of this page and this Wiki Overview:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Overview

• Like 1