We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Crashing Issues

Hi all,

Very new user here.  I installed Unraid last night on a newly built server. I followed all the instructions I could find online on initial setup.  Server seems to work fine only to find that I cannot connect to it through the web browser after it's been running for a few hours.  I attached a picture of the screen I have every time it crashes.  I really have no idea where to go from there.  Any help is tremendously appreciated.

I have a 6 HDD setup (2 for parity) all the same model, with 2 nvme drives for cache. Brand new mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.

IMG_0437.jpg

8 hours ago, Bersquack said:

I tried to run memtest86 and it immediately went back to the motherboard "load screen"

Memtest will only work if booting legacy, not UEFI, also Ryzen on Linux can lock up due to issues with c-states, make sure bios is up to date, then look for "Power Supply Idle Control" (or similar) and set it to "typical current idle" (or similar), or completely disable C-sates.

More info here:
https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/670-rc1-system-hard-lock-r354/

Thanks.  I just rebooted this morning. Will see how long it stays up and then try the power supply idle control.  I downloaded my syslog from last night just in case. Reading a bunch of posts you pointed to it does sound like Ryzen is a piece of work for unraid, but I'm glad there's a solution.

Thank you all again for all your help. I'll post later when I get back from watching Rise of Skywalker with the lady!

Well, it looks like to power supply setting did not fix my problem.  I woke up this morning to another crashed server.

The system log has a number of error lines like this: CPU: 3 PID: 11481 Comm: awk Tainted: G B D W 4.19.56-Unraid #1

From the dashboard the memory utilization is at 100% for the Log. I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't look right.

What should I do next?

OK guys.  I went through all the step in the post linked by ti-ti jorge, redid everything and it seems to be stable now.  Been running a bit over two days straight, so I think I'm good new.  However, it looks like I might be having BTRFS issues with my nvme drive, so I'll go read into that. 

I'll mark this post as solved for now.

9 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

There are some checksum errors, run a scrub on the cache pool, make sure there are no uncorrectable errors.

I just ran a scrumb and there are 2 uncorrectable errors.  I do not know if it's related, but there are files "stuck" in the cache that do not move when the mover runs. my guess is that I was transferring those when the server crashed a few days ago.

• 1 year later...

I'm new to Unraid too and think I'm having similar issues this person had.  My system will run fine while doing a parity check.  And it will run fine as long as I'm using it.  But when it's not doing anything, it crashes.  The light on the outside of the case blinks.  I did the memtest and everything came back okay.  Attached is my diagnostics file.  I'm hoping someone can please help.  Thanks in advance.  

tower-diagnostics-20210207-1632.zip