Server Fails to Start After Update

Since updating to the latest version I have been exeriencing problems; typed text in the terminal window isnt visible and the shift + keys, other than letters, doesnt work. So no @, # and such. This morning when I went to use a VM I found the server unresponsive. I rebooted and now the server wont start. It keeps stopping on a certain part of the boot sequence. I have attached a photo of what is shown on the screen during boot. It keeps stopping here even if I select safe boot.

What is the problem and how do I fix it?

20200115_101334.jpg

I am booting from one of the internal USB2 ports. I was using the server last night, accessing a Plex Docker. This morning the VM I had open was frozen. I tried connecting to the server from a different device but the IP was not accessible. I rebooted and get the above posted message. I have a backup of my config, but not the flash.

What does the message suggest is the problem? I started getting abnormalities after I did the recent upgrade, then after a day it just died.

I was having this same issue on 6.8.1, do you happen to have any SAS drives? I noticed it would either hang trying to bring up one of my 8T SAS drives. After tons of reseating and memchecks I decided to pull the flash drive out and downgrade back to 6.7.2. Unraid booted right up after that with no other hw changes.

2 hours ago, Syn said:

I was having this same issue on 6.8.1, do you happen to have any SAS drives? I noticed it would either hang trying to bring up one of my 8T SAS drives. After tons of reseating and memchecks I decided to pull the flash drive out and downgrade back to 6.7.2. Unraid booted right up after that with no other hw changes.

I have a SAS controller, yes, a LSI00244 9201-16i PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS HBA PCIe card. All my storage drives are connected to it.

First try re-creating flash drive after backing up the config folder and then restore, so all config is kept, if still issues try with a trial flash, if that boots you need to re-create your config, you can still keep disk assignments (super.dat) and key, then just restore parts of the config a little at a time to see where the problem was or just reconfigure the server.

22 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

First try re-creating flash drive after backing up the config folder and then restore, so all config is kept, if still issues try with a trial flash, if that boots you need to re-create your config, you can still keep disk assignments (super.dat) and key, then just restore parts of the config a little at a time to see where the problem was or just reconfigure the server.

Ok. Thanks, I will try that.

7 hours ago, asopala said:

Did it work out?  I managed to be able to get in and went back to 6.8.0, which is working for now, but I do want to get those bug fixes in the new version.

Yes. I was able to restore to version 6.8.0. I upgraded to 6.8.1 which worked. I still have two problems though.

When I select the terminal button from the server webpage toolbar I cannot see any text on the window which opens. When I type I can see the cursor move but no text. If I drag and copy then paste into a txt document I can see the text. I have tried accessing the terminal from a few different browser, three different PCs including a Macbook; but get the same result. Something is wrong with the terminal.

I also have a problem with accessing VMs using VNC. The shift plus number keys (to give @, #, $ and so on) dont work. I have tried three different keyboards (a full size, 10% keyless, and a 65%) connected to the same PCs and Macbook. No special characters. The O/S used in the VM doesn't seem to matter, Ubuntu, Arch, Windows 10, Debian..all the same..no special characters in a  VM.

As a result I cant use a VM with VNC. Unfortunately I cannot even access my VMs as my password has special characters. Ill have to pass through the keyboard, log in, and change the pwd. Not really a solution as it means that I cannot use special characters in a word processor. I don't know what the problem is.

Update: I have been able to find a way to address the no text appearing in terminal buy using qutebrowser on linux. Firefox and Brave both seem to have this issue of not displaying the text. It must be a config somewhere.

Edited by darrenyorston
updated
8 minutes ago, asopala said:

Turns out I still have this issue.  6.8.0 ended up becoming oddly unstable, so I had to manually upgrade back to 6.8.1.  I'm back to square one.  I tried adding in different things from the config folder, but the main bits like my drive configuration were what was preventing startup.  I'm at a loss, I'm not sure what to do.

Are you able to boot from a clean install, or if you use Safe Mode?

Posting to this thread as well to confirm and submit same issue as well:

I also have the same issue today immediately after upgrading from 6.8.0 to 6.8.1. The boot process hangs at the modprobe -r $DRIVERS command/step. It looks to be SAS related, but I'm no expert just see that was the step it seemed to be at. I can't even get the system to boot past this to try and roll back.

I'm running a Supermicro X9DRL-7F ATX Intel board which has an onboard LSI Broadcom 2208 SAS controller and I also have a Sun/Oracle F80 PCI Flash Accelerator card that I was using as SSD for cache, VM, Docker drive.

I have ECC 128G memory, and ran memtest, no errors as expected. In my opinion, highly unlikely to be memory since the error is exactly the same each time.

I have cloned the existing usb to another usb and tried to boot: same error

I have ran chkdsk and fsck on both usb's: there was some repairs, but same error

I have downloaded and flashed a new usb with clean unraid / no config: same error

Boot always dies saying with some sort of dump with last line being

/etc/rc.d/rc.M: line 164: 2363 Killed            modprobe -r $DRIVERS

Edit 1: Tried to boot safe mode no GUI: same error

Edit 2: Copied the bz files from the /previous folder to root to restore the 6.8.0 version: successful boot on both usb's

Will try the renaming the 6.8.1 config/network-rules.cfg when I have time tomorrow to see if that fixes the 6.8.1 boot issue

Edited by w0rt4c

The error:

/etc/rc.d/rc.M: line 164: 2426 Killed modprobe -r $DRIVERS

has returned. I was able to get back into my system by reverting to a previous version of unRAID then upgrading to the latest version. Today I experienced a power outage and when I restart I am back to the same error. I dont want to keep reverting to previous versions to get going again. What is the problem and how can it be fixed?

Edit: I have noted that each time I try to restart the system the number following "...line 164: " changes. One time 2433, then 2523. Never seems to show the same number.

I have tried restarting in GUI mode, safe mode 9no plugins, no GUI), and Safe Mode (no plugins). Same error, different number after line 164:

Boot reports:

bzimage ..ok

bzroot ..ok

I was able to boot successfully after doing the rename of the network-rules.cfg file. However, if I reboot I get the same error again.

Upon rebooting the server appears to start normally. It tells me an IP address has been assigned. However, when I try to access that address my devices report the site cannot be reached. If I restart I get the modprobe error. If I rename the network-rules.cfg file as recommended I can boot into GUI mode. But the browser says it cannot access local host.

Edited by darrenyorston
updated

I was able to downgrade to the last previous stable version however it didnt work, I was not able to log in.

I downloaded another copy of 6.8.1 and copied over bzroot, bzimage, and bzgui. The server has started but I cannot access its web interface. The server is running as I can access my windows shares as well as access the Plex server from various clients.

I cannot access the servers IP address at 192.168.1.100. Nor can I access /Plugins, /VMs, /Dashboard and such.

I can access various Docker containers on their respective ports.

Any ideas on how I access the UI?

Hi Guys,

I got the exactly same problem last night, I upgraded to 6.8.1 a few days ago and rebooted last night and got the same error immediately. Tried all safe boot options but no luck. I thought maybe my flash drive went bad, so I created a new 6.8.1 on another usb stick, it booted with no error. So I ordered another new Sandisk usb stick which will be delivered tomorrow morning.

On the server I have:

AMD threadripper 1920x

ASRock X399 Taichi MB

16GB Samsung ECC Memory * 4

HGST 8T disk * 11

Micron U.2 1.92T SSD cache drive * 1

SATA extension card * 1

Tomorrow I will remove all my data disks, backup my old usb stick first and check if there is any problem with it. If the problem is not with it. Then try to downgrade to 6.8.0 to see if this is related to 6.8.1.

I would like to know, if at the end I have to recreate new USB stick, can I copy all files on current one to the new one, then manually replace all system files with 6.8.1 install package, make it bootable and boot into GUI and go through the Registration process? Does it work really?

36 minutes ago, KSQX said:

Hi Guys,

I got the exactly same problem last night, I upgraded to 6.8.1 a few days ago and rebooted last night and got the same error immediately. Tried all safe boot options but no luck. I thought maybe my flash drive went bad, so I created a new 6.8.1 on another usb stick, it booted with no error. So I ordered another new Sandisk usb stick which will be delivered tomorrow morning.

On the server I have:

AMD threadripper 1920x

ASRock X399 Taichi MB

16GB Samsung ECC Memory * 4

HGST 8T disk * 11

Micron U.2 1.92T SSD cache drive * 1

SATA extension card * 1

Tomorrow I will remove all my data disks, backup my old usb stick first and check if there is any problem with it. If the problem is not with it. Then try to downgrade to 6.8.0 to see if this is related to 6.8.1.

I would like to know, if at the end I have to recreate new USB stick, can I copy all files on current one to the new one, then manually replace all system files with 6.8.1 install package, make it bootable and boot into GUI and go through the Registration process? Does it work really?

Yes you can.

however I would first try backing up your current USB stick and then recreating it with a fresh 6.8.1 install to see if it boots.    If it does you can then copy across the config folder to be back up and running with your configuration unchanged.   There seems to be a higher incidence than normal where writing the new release to the usb stick during an upgrade does not always write it correctly for the 6.8.1 release.    

Please let us know if this works.