Hoopster

Intel Socket 1151 Motherboards with IPMI AND Support for iGPU

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am interested in upgrading my server with a Xeon E-2278G CPU (they are finally beginning to appear in retail channels) which has an iGPU for video transcoding.  I am also interested in a server board with IPMI.  On many such boards, the BIOS does not support the iGPU when IPMI is active via the AST2X00 BMC with video output to a VGA port or JAVA/HTML5 console.

From this thread about the Supermicro X11SCA-F, we know that this board does support both IPMI and the use of the iGPU for transcoding.  There are things I don't like about that board, like the placement of the SATA ports stacked at the very edge of the board.  That would be a tight fit and cabling problem in my case.

I asked ASRock Rack if the E3C246D4U board supports both IPMI and the iGPU and they sent me the 2.10A BIOS which they claim implements that feature specifically.  I don't have that board yet, but, I am leaning towards purchasing one to pair with the E-2278G (when I can finally get my hands on one) and 64 GB RAM.  Not having the board yet, I cannot verify that it does what I need; however, I was very specific with ASRock about what I needed and they claim to have BIOS firmware to support it.

The E3C246D4U looks like a good option for my needs. 

For those interested in 10G NICs, the E3C246D4U2-2L2T motherboard has 2 10G NICs and likely also has BIOS fimware for IMPI + IGPU like its Gigabit NIC sibling.  That board seems impossible to find at the moment.

Edited by Hoopster

Watching this thread! I am looking to upgrade my server as well and am in the same boat of wanting both ipmi and igpu for quicksync. Please keep us posted!

On 1/31/2020 at 5:07 PM, Hoopster said:

I asked ASRock Rack if the E3C246D4U board supports both IPMI and the iGPU and they sent me the 2.10A BIOS which they claim implements that feature specifically.  I don't have that board yet, but, I am leaning towards purchasing one to pair with the E-2278G (when I can finally get my hands on one) and 64 GB RAM.  Not having the board yet, I cannot verify that it does what I need; however, I was very specific with ASRock about what I needed and they claim to have BIOS firmware to support it.

The E3C246D4U looks like a good option for my needs. 

Based upon my contact with the seller of this item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASrock-E3C246D4U-Server-Xeon-E-MB-w-2288G-CPU-64GB-ECC-RAM-256GB-NVMe-SSD-WOW/193237315094?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

This is my conversation with him:

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 11.02.03 AM.png

I just purchased the following combo:

• ASRock E3C246D4U motherboard (best current price - $280 @ Newegg)
  • Intel Xeon E-2288G CPU (best current price $600 but the E-2278G is in stock @ Provantage for $500)
  • 64GB (2x32GB) ECC UDIMM DDR4 RAM (very hard to find and prices have shot up recently, best in stock price ($496 - 2x $248)
  • Samsung 256GB NVMe SSD (best price $70 @ Newegg)
  • Total price at retail - $1346 with an E-2278G, $1446 with the E-2278G

For $1099 it was a steal of a deal (see link in previous post, he has one combo left as of this post).

It should already have the BIOS for iGPU support simultaneous with the HTML5 IPMI.  Should be in late next week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by Hoopster

25 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I just purchased the following combo:

• ASRock E3C246D4U motherboard (best current price - $280 @ Newegg)
  • Intel Xeon E-2288G CPU (best current price N/A but the E-2278G is in stock @ Provantage for $500)
  • 64GB (2x32GB) ECC UDIMM DDR4 RAM (very hard to find and prices have shot up recently, best in stock price ($496 - 2x $248)
  • Samsung 256GB NVMe SSD (best price $70 @ Newegg)
  • Total price at retail - $1346 with an E-2278G

For $1099 it was a steal of a deal (see link in previous post, he has one combo left as of this post).

It should already have the BIOS for iGPU support simultaneous with the HTML5 IPMI.  Should be in late next week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Very cool. Please let us know if you’re able to get QuickSync and Plex working with that Beta BIOS and 6.8.2 (I know it’s on 4.19.x but some people have reported 9th Gen QuickSync working).

13 minutes ago, ramblinreck47 said:

Very cool. Please let us know if you’re able to get QuickSync and Plex working with that Beta BIOS and 6.8.2 (I know it’s on 4.19.x but some people have reported 9th Gen QuickSync working).

Yeah, that's my concern.  I may have to roll back to the last 6.8.0 RC with the Linux 5.x kernel in order to get it to work.  I am eagerly awaiting the 6.9.0 RC.

Wish I pulled the trigger when you posted about this. I reached out to them asking if they were going to offer a similar package and they told me memory is 1-3 months out and much more expensive.

How's your combo working out??

5 minutes ago, kaiguy said:

How's your combo working out??

I'll know next week.  New power supply arrives on Monday and then I will be ready to do some parts swapping.

Yeah, I am really glad I bought that combo.  It ended up saving me over $300.  The Samsung 32GB ECC RAM modules are the only 32GB modules certified to work on this and other boards supporting the E-22xx processors and they are now incredibly hard to find and very expensive when you find them.