Caching, Cache Pools - best-practice setup?

boomam

Yes, i understand the theoretical intent of the setting, but from what i have observed thus far where the mover is moving almost nothing and the drives spinning up even though Cache-yes is in play, kinda contradicts what i'm seeing ;-) 

I'm half temped to just give up and just not have the HDDs spin down at all, rely on their own low-power mode for power savings.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

According to your diagnostics, the share anonymized as b---s has all its files on disk1, and the share anonymized as N-------d has some files on cache and some on disk1. Possibly those dockers are accessing those shares enough to keep the disk spunup.

Ok, those would equate to the books and NC shares.

I'm running the mover right now to test - i'm also considering just moving them both to cache-only and having some backups scripts run each evening.

The SSD cache is big enough that it can take the hit of additional storage.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same concerns about Use cache pool (for new files/directories):

Basically, my current shares are

image.png.e33247a94e3cab2d2f522eddb1fb87dd.png

I want to create shares for

TV series

Movies

Songs

Photos

VM

Downloads

Docker

Docs

What would be the best practice of cache allocation.

I have 256GB SSD for cache pool

On 10/18/2022 at 3:03 AM, trurl said:

What will be the purpose of the Docker and VM shares? Seems obvious from the names, but those purposes are already served by appdata, domains, isos, system shares.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Shares#Default_Shares

@trurl Please ignore the docker and VM shares that I have put additionally.

My main concern is what is the cache mode for all the shares including the Default shares.

Cache: No

Cache: Yes

Cache: Prefer 

Cache: Only

Edited by Moriarty

The settings in your screenshot for the default shares is good. Up to you whether you want to cache anything else. If so, cache:yes would be the usual setting. Do you understand the differences?

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Shares#Use_Cache_.28and_Mover_Behavior_with_User_Shares.29

All sorts of complicated scenarios are possible if you have multiple pools when postprocessing downloads for example. Understanding is the key to implementing what works for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 12:44 AM, trurl said:

The settings in your screenshot for the default shares is good. Up to you whether you want to cache anything else. If so, cache:yes would be the usual setting. Do you understand the differences?

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Shares#Use_Cache_.28and_Mover_Behavior_with_User_Shares.29

All sorts of complicated scenarios are possible if you have multiple pools when postprocessing downloads for example. Understanding is the key to implementing what works for you.

Thank you @trurl

I will read and ask if i have any doubts