3385 Parity Check Errors

Hi everyone,

I'm running unRAID Version: 6.8.2

I am semi-new to this system and I did not realize it was not good to write corrections to parity. I've been trying to figure out the problem and I cannot. Sonarr and Radarr are not communicating with any of my indexers through Jackett, so I tried Cardigann, still no luck. Deluge won't open anymore, when I try to open the webGUI, it says "page not found". I tried different browsers with no luck. I tried to switch to qBittorrent with no luck there either. I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what's going on with my system or point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

alienblood-diagnostics-20200304-2319.zip

Screenshot_2020-03-04 AlienBlood Plugins2.png

Edited by xd84
8 hours ago, xd84 said:

I did not realize it was not good to write corrections to parity.

Not sure where you got this idea. Ultimately, you must have zero parity errors. Unless you have some reason to suspect another reason for the parity errors, you must correct them.

One likely cause of a small number of parity errors is unclean shutdowns. You must shut down from the webUI or Unraid may not be able to finish parity updates.

The number of parity errors you had is not exactly small, but it is small enough to assume you had built parity at some point and didn't do anything that would have invalidated it directly.

Why have you allocated 100G to docker image? It is unlikely you would ever need even 20G and if your docker image is growing you have something configured wrong. I see it is already using 20G with only 3 dockers running so it is almost certain that you have one or more of your dockers writing into the docker image instead of to mapped storage.

Your system share has files on the array instead of all on cache where they belong.

Do you have any VMs?

You should start by disabling dockers in Settings - Docker, and disabling VMs in Settings - VM Manager. Leave them disabled until we agree you have resolved your other problems.

As @johnnie.black said, your CPU is overheating. You should fix that immediately. 

Not sure where you got this idea. Ultimately, you must have zero parity errors. Unless you have some reason to suspect another reason for the parity errors, you must correct them.

@trurl I have been reading a lot of these forums and from some of the ones I've seen, people said it's not a good idea to have the automatic parity corrections. Maybe that was for their particular case or something.

One likely cause of a small number of parity errors is unclean shutdowns. You must shut down from the webUI or Unraid may not be able to finish parity updates.

The number of parity errors you had is not exactly small, but it is small enough to assume you had built parity at some point and didn't do anything that would have invalidated it directly.

I generally always shutdown from the webUI, but my guess is that it's been shutting itself off from overheating and I was thinking it was my UPS or something cutting out when it was storming. Again, I'm new, reading this right now makes me feel like an idiot for not realizing sooner.

Why have you allocated 100G to docker image? It is unlikely you would ever need even 20G and if your docker image is growing you have something configured wrong. I see it is already using 20G with only 3 dockers running so it is almost certain that you have one or more of your dockers writing into the docker image instead of to mapped storage.

I allocated 100G to the docker image before I knew what I was doing. I was under the impression that I would use a lot more than 20G, but I did not know what exactly docker was at the time, so I clearly screwed that up. From what I'm reading, I can't change it back, so I guess I'm stuck with it. I have quite a bit of docker containers, but I recently switched my setup to a new case with a new motherboard back in late December after Christmas. These problems started in January, around the 20th or so. I'm not sure if that's related or not?

Your system share has files on the array instead of all on cache where they belong.

Okay, so I just changed my settings to the cache drive. Do I need to manually move all of my files somehow or just leave it alone?

Do you have any VMs?

You should start by disabling dockers in Settings - Docker, and disabling VMs in Settings - VM Manager. Leave them disabled until we agree you have resolved your other problems.

Yes, I have a Windows 10 VM that I use a lot for school and 2 more that I don't think I've used yet, but they stay off.

As @johnnie.black said, your CPU is overheating. You should fix that immediately. 

On 3/5/2020 at 2:43 AM, johnnie.black said:

Only thing I can see in the logs for now is an overheating CPU, fix that then post clean diags.

@johnnie.black @trurl Okay, so I took the old thermal paste off and applied a new coat to both CPUs and I added 3 more fans to the inside until I can get a better setup. I'm attaching my new diagnostics that I just downloaded after I turned everything off.

alienblood-diagnostics-20200306-1747.zip

1 hour ago, xd84 said:

I have been reading a lot of these forums and from some of the ones I've seen, people said it's not a good idea to have the automatic parity corrections.

We usually recommend not having automatic corrections to parity for the scheduled parity checks or the parity checks you get from an unclean shutdown. Whether or not you correct parity when running it manually depends.

Ultimately, you must correct parity, or in some cases when it seems appropriate, rebuild the specific data disk you suspect has caused parity to be out of sync. Or it may be that you have some other issues such as bad connections that when fixed will show you didn't actually have parity errors after all.

Exactly zero parity errors is the only acceptable result, and you must work on it until you get that result. After running a correcting parity check, we usually recommend following that with a non-correcting parity check to make sure you actually have exactly zero parity errors remaining, or you still have some sort of problems you need to work on.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:35 AM, trurl said:

1 hour ago, xd84 said:

Okay, so I just changed my settings to the cache drive. Do I need to manually move all of my files somehow or just leave it alone?

You have set system share to cache-only. Mover ignores cache-only shares. Set it back to cache-prefer and run Mover. It wasn't able to move it to cache before because you had Docker and VM services enabled, and mover can't move open files.

1 hour ago, xd84 said:

I allocated 100G to the docker image before I knew what I was doing. I was under the impression that I would use a lot more than 20G, but I did not know what exactly docker was at the time, so I clearly screwed that up. From what I'm reading, I can't change it back, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

You apparently missed a lot of my posts. You should go to Settings - Docker, disable (already disabled currently) then delete docker image.

Later, after you get your problems resolved and are ready to resume using dockers, change it to the recommended 20G and enable again. It will be recreated, and you can add your dockers back exactly as they were using the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page.

If your docker image is growing, you have something misconfigured. The working data for your dockers should be in the appdata. Docker image is just for the executables.

1 hour ago, xd84 said:

I took the old thermal paste off and applied a new coat to both CPUs and I added 3 more fans to the inside until I can get a better setup.

Your syslog looks better, let it run a while.

But Fix Common Problems has a number of lines that indicate your server can't reach the internet. Any idea what that is about?

We usually recommend not having automatic corrections to parity for the scheduled parity checks or the parity checks you get from an unclean shutdown. Whether or not you correct parity when running it manually depends.

Ultimately, you must correct parity, or in some cases when it seems appropriate, rebuild the specific data disk you suspect has caused parity to be out of sync. Or it may be that you have some other issues such as bad connections that when fixed will show you didn't actually have parity errors after all.

Exactly zero parity errors is the only acceptable result, and you must work on it until you get that result. After running a correcting parity check, we usually recommend following that with a non-correcting parity check to make sure you actually have exactly zero parity errors remaining, or you still have some sort of problems you need to work on.

Okay, that makes sense. How do I find the errors from the parity checks? I'll check my connections right now and I'll run another parity check tonight then I'll post the logs when it's finished.

You have set system share to cache-only. Mover ignores cache-only shares. Set it back to cache-prefer and run Mover. It wasn't able to move it to cache before because you had Docker and VM services enabled, and mover can't move open files.

You apparently missed a lot of my posts. You should go to Settings - Docker, disable (already disabled currently) then delete docker image.

Later, after you get your problems resolved and are ready to resume using dockers, change it to the recommended 20G and enable again. It will be recreated, and you can add your dockers back exactly as they were using the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page.

If your docker image is growing, you have something misconfigured. The working data for your dockers should be in the appdata. Docker image is just for the executables.

I just set the system share to cache-prefer and ran the mover. I believe I did miss a lot of them, I have been reading a lot of things and I still don't really know what I'm doing yet, so I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I deleted the docker image and set it back to 20G. I haven't enabled it yet though, I just don't want to overlook that and get stuck with 100G again like an a$$. I don't think my docker image was growing unless there was something in my logs. I think I was just thinking "I'm about to download a LOT of apps onto this thing" but I didn't know that docker only installs the parts that it doesn't have yet (which is so cool).

But Fix Common Problems has a number of lines that indicate your server can't reach the internet. Any idea what that is about?

I'm thinking that was from earlier when I was trying to install the extra fans, I needed to plug in the power to figure out which side of the fan was sucking vs. blowing air, but my Ethernet cord wouldn't reach while I had the tower pulled out. I plugged it back in once I was finished.

From the syslog in those first diagnostics you posted:

Mar  3 19:30:16 AlienBlood kernel: mdcmd (40): check nocorrect
Mar  3 19:30:16 AlienBlood kernel: md: recovery thread: check P Q ...
Mar  4 03:41:00 AlienBlood kernel: md: recovery thread: Q incorrect, sector=9867046256
Mar  4 03:41:00 AlienBlood kernel: md: recovery thread: Q incorrect, sector=9867046264
Mar  4 03:41:00 AlienBlood kernel: md: recovery thread: Q incorrect, sector=9867046272

From the syslog in these latest diagnostics:

Mar  6 21:30:34 AlienBlood kernel: mdcmd (40): check correct
Mar  6 21:30:34 AlienBlood kernel: md: recovery thread: check P Q ...
Mar  7 17:21:33 AlienBlood kernel: md: recovery thread: Q corrected, sector=9867046256
Mar  7 17:21:33 AlienBlood kernel: md: recovery thread: Q corrected, sector=9867046264
Mar  7 17:21:33 AlienBlood kernel: md: recovery thread: Q corrected, sector=9867046272

So, as you can see, that first parity check (nocorrect) found parity errors, but didn't correct them

This latest parity check (correct) found those same uncorrected parity errors, but it is correcting them.

When if finishes, run a non-correcting parity check and you should get zero parity errors.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

This latest parity check (correct) found those same uncorrected parity errors, but it is correcting them.

When if finishes, run a non-correcting parity check and you should get zero parity errors.

Awesome! I'm running a non-correcting parity check now! I'll post the latest diagnostics tomorrow when it finishes. Thank you so much for your help! I truly appreciate it.