Warning: Drive pending sectors: 2

45 minutes ago, gnollo said:

Time to replace to replace the drive?

I would, the pending sectors are real since it failed the SMART test, also these attributes look very bad:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    6424
  200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   ---R--   001   001   000    -    629204

They should be zero, or at least very low, on a healthy WD drive.

2 hours ago, gnollo said:

OK, I bought a new 10TB drive to replace my 8TB parity, will replace parity first then use parity to replace the failing drive

You don't want to rebuild parity with a bad data disk in the array. Do not replace parity first.

57 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I believe that this is the procedure that you will need to follow:

https://wiki.unraid.net/The_parity_swap_procedure

I have never done it so I think these are the latest instructions.  (I would wait a few hours before and see if anyone else jumps in to comment differently.)

Yes, this is definitely what you should do. Do it all in the same process.

Since it was an unclean shutdown parity check, it should be nocorrect. Might be useful to see if it thinks you have parity errors, though I'm not sure what the best course of action would be if it did. Do you correct parity when you know you have a bad data disk? On the other hand, it is possible the unclean shutdown would result in parity errors, especially if anything was writing to the array at the time. If there are parity errors, and they are real and not caused by problems reading that bad data disk, then relying on the parity for the later rebuild could be problematic.

Any idea why the UI became unresponsive? I know there are a lot of threads on the forum where this seems to happen, but it is not the usual way for Unraid to work, and of course nobody bothers to post when things are going well.

Has the parity check found any errors so far?

Post a new diagnostic.

Total size:8 TB

Elapsed time:8 hours, 52 minutes

Current position:1.80 TB (22.4 %)

Estimated speed:65.7 KB/sec

Estimated finish:1083 days, 5 hours, 4 minutes

Sync errors detected: 5

I am guessing it's working on disk2 which has the pending sectors as it's showing 894 read errors.

Edited by gnollo
1 minute ago, gnollo said:

Also is not picking up the new drive for some reason. It is a 10Tb drive I extracted from a WD elements external case.

Make sure you do not have the Pin3 +3.3v problem that is common with many shucked drives.  See Here:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

9 minutes ago, gnollo said:

USB flash drive failure: 12-03-2020 13:24

Alert [TOWER] - USB drive is not read-write
UDisk (sda)

About this issue, I would be looking at the Flash drive and would run a chkdsk on it in a PC.

I connected the drive directly to a molex sata cable and power supply, esternally, it works that way. Does not work when I insert it in the cages, tried different slots, same result.

But the parity swap didn't work, too many wrong disks, it said. I had no option but to revert.
It would seem I have the pin issue. I will take a look at the tutorial, thanks. 

In the meantime, what do I do about the parity swap?

9 minutes ago, gnollo said:

Diagnostics attached.

I meant when you were getting the "too many wrong" disks, to see what you were doing wrong on the parity swap procedure.

10 minutes ago, gnollo said:

Also if I use a molex to molex adapter before I connect the Norco Caddy, would that remove the white label disk pin issue?

No, problem is that some backplanes still have 3.3v on the SATA ports despite being power by molex connectors (that don't have 3.3v).

Thanks Johnnie, so I need to put the tape on the third pin, will try the procedure again and then capture the diagnostics. Thank you all for the support, it is one of the reasons I love unraid. The community is so good.

Edited by gnollo

Parity copy almost complete. Next step rebuilding the drive. Once complete, is there an app running in a docker that I can use to make sure that the old drive and the new drive contain the same data?

Basically a way to check that unraid did the job correctly, and I am not missing any data.