We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

AMD GPU docker/vm

I'm on the current Unraid Nvidia build I've recently upgraded my main rigs GPU and now have an rx480 on the shelf my Unraid server is currently working flawlessly, I'm wondering if I can just swap out my gtx960 (Nvidia) for the amd rx480 (AMD) ? Is it that simple? I mainly only use the GPU for lio Plex docker passthrough 

Edited by Fiservedpi
23 minutes ago, Fiservedpi said:

Mainly LIO Plex docker hw transcoding, that is the only thing I really use it for

If you are running Plex in a docker container, Plex does not support hw transcoding with AMD GPUs.  They support Intel iGPU and Nvidia.  Also, if you are running the UnRaid Nvidia version of UnRAID, the name says it all, it only supports Nvidia GPUs.

If you want to use the AMD RX 480 for Plex transcoding, you would have to pass it through to a Windows VM running Plex as AMD is only supported by Plex on Windows.

Here's a snippet on the issue from the Plex website:

Windows-specific Notes

If your Windows computer also has a dedicated graphics card, such as an NVIDIA or AMD GPU, some functions of Intel Quick Sync Video may become unavailable when the GPU is in use. If your computer has one of these GPUs, please install the latest NVIDIA drivers for Windows or AMD drivers for Windows to make sure that Plex can use your dedicated graphics card when Intel Quick Sync Video becomes unavailable.

Linux-specific Notes

Hardware-Accelerated Streaming on Linux requires:

64-bit Ubuntu (16.04 or later) or 64-bit Fedora (26 or later) distributions. (Other distributions may be capable, but are not officially supported.)

If your Linux computer also has a dedicated graphics card, the video encoding acceleration of Intel Quick Sync Video may become unavailable when the GPU is in use. If your computer has an NVIDIA GPU, please install the latest Latest NVIDIA drivers for Linux to make sure that Plex can use your NVIDIA graphics card for video encoding (only) when Intel Quick Sync Video becomes unavailable.

On 3/17/2020 at 6:39 PM, Fiservedpi said:

I'm on the current Unraid Nvidia build I've recently upgraded my main rigs GPU and now have an rx480 on the shelf my Unraid server is currently working flawlessly, I'm wondering if I can just swap out my gtx960 (Nvidia) for the amd rx480 (AMD) ? Is it that simple? I mainly only use the GPU for lio Plex docker passthrough 

Hoopster's answer sounds very logical.

Does your server just run or does it also use the AMD card after the upgrade?