(SOLVED) UNRAID only sees 9 of 13 drives

I am making the switch from ZFS to UNRAID. Booted up and Unraid is only seeing 8 of my regular drives, plus the SSD I was going to use for cache. I think it is probably a controller problem, but my BIOS is seeing all of them. I've read about 50 similar problem threads but couldn't find one that matched.

My mobo is a Gigabyte MW50-SVO. I downloaded the zip of my diagnostics and hardware profile but I don't see where I can include those. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by djjlav
29 minutes ago, djjlav said:

I think it is probably a controller problem

Yes, this is your problem:

07:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller [1b4b:9230] (rev 11)
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller [1458:1000]
	Kernel driver in use: ahci

Marvell-based SATA controllers do not play well with later versions of Linux/unRAID. Drives attached to them often do not show up at all and, if they do, can drop off unexpectedly.  Anything attached to that controller is likely what is not showing up in unRAID.

LSI/Broadcom controllers are preferred and have no such issues.   

For example, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008/3408 chipset in IT mode such as the 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015 which need to be cross-flashed to IT mode.

I use the Dell H310 cross-flashed to IT mode.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1

So there's nothing I can do to my motherboard to get the Marvell controller to work with Unraid?

I do have a PCIe SAS controller that I can use to connect the other drives but it seems like such a waste to leave 4 SATA ports empty if I can help it. I was planning on adding a number of other drives.

11 minutes ago, djjlav said:

So there's nothing I can do to my motherboard to get the Marvell controller to work with Unraid?

Unfortunately, no, it's a Linux kernel driver issue.  Marvell does not keep their Linux drivers very up to date.  They focus more on Windows. If you were running Windows on that board, you would see no problem with drives attached to SATA ports associated with that controller. 

Some Marvell drivers have worked fine in the past.  But, for the last several Linux kernel revisions, their drivers have not worked well with unRAID.  FreeNAS and other Linux-based NAS users have the same problem.  It's not an unRAID issue per se.