Best practice for migrating data from old NAS (rclone or ?)

From experience, rclone is the best way to move large amounts of data between NASes. I've had issues with rsync and other methods before.

What's the best practice to set up either the old NAS as a remote or the new NAS as a remote with rclone? SMB shares? Obviously data transfer speed is an issue as we're talking tens of TB.

What user should I be running it as (and how)?

There are many factor could cause slow down, but most should be storage device performance cause. I use rsync all for large data transfer no matter local or network. If I need network transfer ( between NAS to NAS, or Unraid ), I usually use rsync over NFS mount instead SMB mount, if single disk with 1Gbps network, throughput should around 70MB - 80MB/s.

I use SMB / NFS perform network transfer much, in fact, no much performance different between them. What I want to say, transfer protocol usually not a main factor. 

Due to I haven't network transfer to do this time, but I would show a local transfer by rsync.

For example, array disk rsync to a UD disk ( ~200GB data, large file ), a steady 145MB/s could be achieve.

123.thumb.png.1a7b90628c809e33e05e241e07c1f2b3.png

456.thumb.png.dc3ac0d979b2e22c56be372aeefba83c.png

Edited by Benson
9 hours ago, Benson said:

There are many factor could cause slow down, but most should be storage device performance cause. I use rsync all for large data transfer no matter local or network. If I need network transfer ( between NAS to NAS, or Unraid ), I usually use rsync over NFS mount instead SMB mount, if single disk with 1Gbps network, throughput should around 70MB - 80MB/s.

I use SMB / NFS perform network transfer much, in fact, no much performance different between them. What I want to say, transfer protocol usually not a main factor. 

This is what I don't understand. This is what I'm doing:

Mount SMB over 1GbE with UD.

Ensure no other processes are accessing the write or read disks. For example, writes to the target are >150 MB/s with preclear.

Test network performance between two systems with iperf3. I get sustained transfers of 115 MB/s over Cat-5E.

Use either rsync -avPR or rclone copy to perform the transfer.

Transfer speeds are about 40 MB/s max with rclone (tested transfers 1–10) and even worse with rsync :(

Edited by cinereus